U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-12-2016, 11:23 PM

22,702 posts, read 21,750,727 times

Advertisements

Yes, that's happened to me, but not from sunburn. I took antihistamines, applied an anti-itch cream and used cold packs. I also scratched a lot. If I scratched an area raw, I poured alcohol on it. Ouch! Ahhh.
Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2016, 08:19 PM

22 posts, read 22,160 times
YES! I know exactly what you are talking about and it is so mind numbingly horrific I wanted to just knock myself out. No one understood what I was going through and thought I was a crybaby. No one can grasp the torture that hasn't gone through it. The only relief, and it was a very small relief was to oil my skin heavily and wear a heavy tshirt.

Old 07-14-2016, 12:01 PM

9,145 posts, read 6,332,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiluvr1228 View Post
I saw on the news last week about jellyfish larvae that will make a person who is allergic itch like crazy.
But those usually leave a rash. The OP didn't mention a rash. Sounds as though he is familiar with this post-sunburn "hell's itch", having encountered it before.

Old 07-12-2017, 03:58 PM

1 posts, read 520 times
I had the pleasure of experiencing hells itch a day or two after a sunburn in California 3 years ago. I have had plenty of sunburns before this, some of them worse, but I have never experienced anything like the hells itch. It is the absolute worst experience and felt like a million fire ants beneath my skin. Any kind of lotion or cream including aloe and sunburn treatments are a definite no go, as are cold showers. Sometimes ice helped, but I mostly treated it with a lot of ibuprofen, antihistamine, and hot showers. I saw a doctor who was able to give me a steroid. Just to clarify, I am not and have never been allergic to sunscreen or ointment, and was never stung by anything. Hells itch is caused by sunburn

Old 07-12-2017, 05:10 PM

18,775 posts, read 6,138,018 times
It must have been the Calif sun. I've been here 50+ yrs and 40 of those on the beach. Nothing like you explained. My worst burns were from the FL sun..talk about burns. Blisters, peeling the whole 9 yards.

Old 07-12-2017, 06:55 PM

16 posts, read 10,476 times
You say no sunscreen, but I have had a bad allergic reaction to sunscreen such as you describe. I had to go to the dermatologist to get a shot as the blisters covered my arms and were killing me. It was impossible to work. I had an injection and a prescription ointment. After several days it was better.

I suppose if I had a bad enough sunburn I would also have gone to the dermatologist.

Old 07-13-2017, 07:41 PM

13,341 posts, read 10,902,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rebellious1 View Post
Just to clarify, I know how to treat sunburn. I'm not asking how to treat it.

I'm also not talking about a little itching post sunburn. I'm talking about severe sunburn and having what's called "Hell's Itch". Google it.

Just curious if anyone on here has been through it.

I have been through it. It wasn't sunburn that caused it though. The cause was never fully determined. It was a blitered, weeping, oozing rash and I would rather have had a crushed limb (been through that too) than the maddening itch. So maddening, so deep and so unrelieveable yea, it's pure Hell. I never considered suicide, I did however think about a chemical vacation into unconciousness.

I did some things that weren't so good to relieve the searing itch. Like running scalding hot water over it. It just felt so GOOD and it would stop itching for a short time after. Any relief was worth any pain. I had to see a dermatologist in the end. I gutted it for about a week and it just kept getting worse. Found myself scalding it hour on the hour and I knew that wasn't good but I couldn't stand it. The doctor told me he would have liked to have admitted me to the hospital after seeing it.

The skin was just wetly peeling off and it was weeping buckets. Nothing is worse than an itch like that. Nothing. 2 weeks of serious antibiotics, antihisamines, even narcotics to calm me down I was so insane from it. It finally dried up and the dead skin peeled off in big sheets. I've been through a lot of pain from serious injuries, but nothing came close to being worse than this.

Old 07-14-2017, 05:20 AM

8,317 posts, read 17,641,658 times
Aloe vera is the best thing for a sunburn and the dreaded itch that can accompany it. As soon as you get in from the sun you need to take a cool/warm bath, not hot...that makes it worse. Once you're dry, and before the burn and itch can rear their ugly heads, you slather yourself with aloe and continue to do so 3-4 times a day for several days. I personally like to use Hawaiian Tropic Aloe with Lidocaine. It will calm the burn, hydrate your skin and your peeling will be very little or none at all.

I've been using this for years and years with great results..I live in S Florida and the Caribbean so I am in the hot sun a lot, and of course I wear sunscreen, but sunscreen can only do so much.

Of course, common sense tells us not to be on the water, without a shirt and without sunscreen, but some people still do it and end up in our ED with sun poisoning and 2nd degree or higher burns.

Old 07-14-2017, 03:05 PM

8,271 posts, read 10,510,884 times
It's a few days late for advice, but for future reference, doctors have advised taking aspirin, tylenol, motrin or what ever you use for pain. They kill pain all over the body, including the skin, you don't need to touch the skin to rub on something topical, and with the exception of tylenol, they go after inflammation (the word derives from 'flame', like the sun).

Old 07-14-2017, 03:31 PM

10,860 posts, read 18,883,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Devalight View Post
You say no sunscreen, but I have had a bad allergic reaction to sunscreen such as you describe. I had to go to the dermatologist to get a shot as the blisters covered my arms and were killing me. It was impossible to work. I had an injection and a prescription ointment. After several days it was better.

I suppose if I had a bad enough sunburn I would also have gone to the dermatologist.
It happened to me again this year, with a sunscreen that had been safe for me in the past. I used one of those doctor video chat apps so I wouldn't have to go anywhere except the pharmacy drivethru, and got a medrol dose pack. When I was done with the ten days of meds, the itch came back for another two weeks, but not quite as intense...I could still sleep.

Now I'm doing a patch test of my sunscreen two days before I need it, every single time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness