Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2013, 11:23 AM

5,182 posts, read 5,245,302 times

Advertisements

Please point out in layperson terms where this conclusion is wrong.

The conclusion assumes the following:

1) VLDL degrades to LDL (the bad guy)

2) Excessive fruit intake elevates triglycrides.

3) Labs still measure cholesterol fractions as follows. They measure total cholesterol, HDL ch (the good guy), and triglycerides directly. Then they divide triglycerides by five to arrive at VLDL ch. What remains is LDL ch. So if TC = 200, HDL is 70, and TriG's are 150. Divide 150 by 5 to get 30 VLDL, and the remainder, LDL, is 100. 70+30+100=200.

Ergo, the higher the fruit intake the higher the TriG's and VLDL, and ultimately the higher the LDL, a known risk factor.

This cannot be true but based on the three premises, it appears it is. I know that there are intermediate density lipoprotein bubbles too but labs, at least my lab, still measures/calculates as stated above.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2013, 03:37 AM

10,364 posts, read 20,787,328 times
Well remember that fruit has a lot of sugar in it and sugar will elevate your trig levels and quite directly. With my family history, cholesterol and trigs are elevated in many of us and I've had my trigs over 700 before when I was on a sweets binge. Backed off the sweets and it went down very quickly. Did low carb and it went completely to normal in less than a week. I honestly think it has more to do with carbs than fat but that's how my system reacts.

Another thing to keep in mind is that fruit has quite a lot more sugar than what our ancestors ate and many vegetables do too. I'm esp thinking of corn here but others as well. One thing to consider too, is that even in the wild, animals stock up on berries in the late summer and fall to begin the fattening up process to get them thru the winter. I read a little thing about hummingbirds once--they eat all that sugar and overload their liver--it's almost completely white when they begin to migrate, and those little birds fly quite a distance, but once they get where they're going it is back to normal.

Old 11-17-2013, 05:52 AM

19,046 posts, read 25,181,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calvert Hall '62 View Post
Please point out in layperson terms where this conclusion is wrong.

The conclusion assumes the following:

1) VLDL degrades to LDL (the bad guy)

3) Labs still measure cholesterol fractions as follows. They measure total cholesterol, HDL ch (the good guy), and triglycerides directly. Then they divide triglycerides by five to arrive at VLDL ch. What remains is LDL ch. So if TC = 200, HDL is 70, and TriG's are 150. Divide 150 by 5 to get 30 VLDL, and the remainder, LDL, is 100. 70+30+100=200.

Ergo, the higher the fruit intake the higher the TriG's and VLDL, and ultimately the higher the LDL, a known risk factor.

This cannot be true but based on the three premises, it appears it is. I know that there are intermediate density lipoprotein bubbles too but labs, at least my lab, still measures/calculates as stated above.
You have to have some sugar in your diet. Your brain only runs on glucose anyway. It's best to substitute simple surgars/carbs (potato, bread, pasta) with fruit, since you only absorb ~60% of the sugar due to the fiber in fruit.

Old 11-17-2013, 03:15 PM

12,460 posts, read 20,077,688 times
Quote:
What exactly defines "excessive fruit intake"? Fructose, which some fruit have in high levels, can raise triglycrides in some people....but not all fruit has high levels of fructose and as such if you're eat a mix of fruits you'd have to eat well over the recommended amount to achieve a high intake of fructose. Excessive fructose, for the vast majority, comes in the form of sugary drinks, processed sweets, etc, for example:

16oz Coke.............................................. 22 grams of fructose
1 Banana, 1 orange, 2 kiwis..................20 grams of fructose**

** I'm including the fact that half of sucrose is fructose, so this is the grams of fructose + 1/2 the grams of sucrose.

So even by consuming just one 16oz soda you exceed the amount of fructose you'd consume by eating 3~4 servings of mixed fruit.

In any case, I don't think there is anything particularly faulty what what you're suggesting other than the fact that you'd have to consume a truly large amount of fruit to exceed the fructose intake of the average American (which is primarily derived from sugary drinks, sweets, etc). Also, while a fruit based diet may elevate triglycrides it may have other factors that lower ones risk of heart disease.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Braunwyn View Post
You have to have some sugar in your diet. Your brain only runs on glucose anyway. It's best to substitute simple surgars/carbs (potato, bread, pasta) with fruit, since you only absorb ~60% of the sugar due to the fiber in fruit.
We have no dietary need for sugar, we can derive glucose from complex carbohydrates. Where did you get the idea that we only absorb 60% of the sugars in fruit? Fiber primarily slows the digestion of carbohydrates, it doesn't greatly reduce its absorption.

Old 11-18-2013, 09:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by user_id View Post
What exactly defines "excessive fruit intake"? Fructose, which some fruit have in high levels, can raise triglycrides in some people....but not all fruit has high levels of fructose and as such if you're eat a mix of fruits you'd have to eat well over the recommended amount to achieve a high intake of fructose. Excessive fructose, for the vast majority, comes in the form of sugary drinks, processed sweets, etc, for example:

16oz Coke.............................................. 22 grams of fructose
1 Banana, 1 orange, 2 kiwis..................20 grams of fructose**

** I'm including the fact that half of sucrose is fructose, so this is the grams of fructose + 1/2 the grams of sucrose.

So even by consuming just one 16oz soda you exceed the amount of fructose you'd consume by eating 3~4 servings of mixed fruit.

In any case, I don't think there is anything particularly faulty what what you're suggesting other than the fact that you'd have to consume a truly large amount of fruit to exceed the fructose intake of the average American (which is primarily derived from sugary drinks, sweets, etc). Also, while a fruit based diet may elevate triglycrides it may have other factors that lower ones risk of heart disease.
Hear what you're saying and realize that my premises are probably oversimplified. It's just that it's surprising that cholesterol-free and essentially fat-free foodstuffs could theoretically elevate LDL.

Old 11-18-2013, 09:37 AM

107 posts, read 558,582 times
Calvert Hall, stepka above already said it: when you get more than 55-60% of calories from carbohydrates, this may elevate your blood triglyceride levels.

Effect of dietary carbohydrate on triglyceride metabo... [J Nutr. 2001] - PubMed - NCBI

It is not that this will happen in everyone who eats as much fruits, but it can happen in some people.

Old 11-18-2013, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ehealthguy View Post
Calvert Hall, stepka above already said it: when you get more than 55-60% of calories from carbohydrates, this may elevate your blood triglyceride levels.

Effect of dietary carbohydrate on triglyceride metabo... [J Nutr. 2001] - PubMed - NCBI

It is not that this will happen in everyone who eats as much fruits, but it can happen in some people.
I'm well aware of the simple carb - TriG connection and know that elevated TriG in and of themselves are a separate risk factor.

What I have a hard time getting my head around is the apparent link between excess carbs and LDL. For the past 45 yrs., the medicos have been telling us that to keep LDL levels down, avoid sat. fat and cholesterol. With few exceptions, sat fat is found in animal-based foods and I'm not aware of any non-animal-based foods that contain cholesterol.

Old 11-18-2013, 11:07 AM

107 posts, read 558,582 times
I can't explain exactly why high carbohydrate intake results in high blood LDL levels, but one observation was that people with high LDL who cut down saturated fats and replace them with sugars get even higher LDL levels.

Saturated Fatty Acids and Risk of Coronary Heart Disease: Modulation by Replacement Nutrients

Cholesterol from foods has very small impact on blood LDL cholesterol.

Old 11-18-2013, 05:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ehealthguy View Post
Cholesterol from foods has very small impact on blood LDL cholesterol.
Hence, eggs are acceptable again, after years of being treated like arsenic or cyanide.

Old 11-18-2013, 06:14 PM

192 posts, read 250,233 times
Quote:
it's surprising that cholesterol-free and essentially fat-free foodstuffs could theoretically elevate LDL.
Theoretically is the key word. This premise is a "3rd-truth". #2 is simply wrong.

Fruitarian blood test: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QZN98...tailpage#t=185

Maybe these studies involved "Normal 40% fat diets" THAT's the problem. Fat needs to be low or the combo of fat/carbs cause trouble.

I've been eating 17 fruits(and a pound of grain a day, for 19 years. Here's my video of a day's eating (thin & young-looking @ 45)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OXuCH-_tE9Y

What's Excessive? Fruit is a natural main food for many species, including humans.

Last edited by Sacman; 11-18-2013 at 07:01 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness