U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2016, 08:29 PM

2,435 posts, read 1,799,422 times

Advertisements

She has never walked in my shoes. I'm so tired of faking it like there's nothing wrong. I'm done and out. It drains so much of my energy trying to fit in. All my hearing aid does is amplify the sounds. It does nothing when people speak words out of their mouth. It's like static on the radio trying to understand what is being said. It's all gibberish I'm hearing. What???
I can lip-read a little. Not much
So these days, I either prefer to be alone or around others who share hearing loss like me and know how to communicate through sign language. Talking with our hands
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2016, 08:52 PM

2,182 posts, read 1,057,258 times
An excuse for not doing what?

Old 07-14-2016, 08:55 PM

20,426 posts, read 35,741,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyFarm34 View Post
mom thinks I use my disability as an excuse not to do something...
And that something would be...... ?

Old 07-14-2016, 09:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by I love boots. View Post
An excuse for not doing what?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt Chick View Post
And that something would be...... ?
Not attending a cousin's wedding. I don't even speak to my extended family anymore unless we happen to run into each other once in a blue moon..

I have my own life now and still tryin to move on from the mistakes from pss!

Old 07-14-2016, 09:55 PM

39,092 posts, read 37,733,259 times
It can take a while to adjust to hearing aids. If they aren't working for you, you should go back and have them fixed, or else try a different kind.

As for your mom, if you have your own life now, then just brush off her comments and live it.

Old 07-14-2016, 10:56 PM

15,871 posts, read 13,442,984 times
How do you know she thinks this if you rarely have contact?

Old 07-14-2016, 11:08 PM

16,756 posts, read 20,529,725 times
Tell her it's not an excuse, it's a "reason." The "reason" I don't like going to big events with people who don't sign, is because it's miserable for me. Until you can walk in my shoes, you don't have the right to judge me for that. And surely, you don't want me to be miserable, do you?

Old 07-14-2016, 11:10 PM

3,464 posts, read 2,276,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyFarm34 View Post
She has never walked in my shoes. I'm so tired of faking it like there's nothing wrong. I'm done and out. It drains so much of my energy trying to fit in. All my hearing aid does is amplify the sounds. It does nothing when people speak words out of their mouth. It's like static on the radio trying to understand what is being said. It's all gibberish I'm hearing. What???
I can lip-read a little. Not much
So these days, I either prefer to be alone or around others who share hearing loss like me and know how to communicate through sign language. Talking with our hands
My dad complains of the same problem.

Of all the things they make for a show like Shark Tank, a really great invention would be a very improved hearing aid.

Old 07-14-2016, 11:58 PM

4,003 posts, read 1,781,697 times
Going anywhere, at all, is exhausting for me as I have no respite care for my 12 year old profoundly autistic son. But

I do it anyway. There are sounds that most people barely notice that can be literally painful for him. Crowds cause panic.

He bolts away, makes loud noises. I typically have no ability to carry on an adult conversations & spend alot of time

in lobbys, bathrooms & the car. Functions that involve a church service strike terror in my heart. Some years I just

wish Christmas would GO AWAY!

I know some here will think I'm terrible for saying this; but sometimes I wish, for his sake, that

he was deaf, so that the auditory sensory input wasn't so painful for him.

Sometimes, I wish, for my sake, that he was in a wheelchair so we could get through parking lots safely, cross a

street safely SIT through a service, or, for once, I could eat a plate of food. Like eat at a table; that would be nice.

But both he & I are part of a family. Part of a community. Part of this world. Sometimes life means doing something

thats uncomfortable, unenjoyable & even physically gruelling (he is 12; 5'9" & almost 200lbs).

I can't let his disability take away from his importance as a grandchild, cousin, uncle or nephew.

He is IMPORTANT & so am I & we will be there for band concerts & graduations & baptisms & weddings & our family will

know that they are IMPORTANT because I will make that considerable effort to be there (I'll be waving from the lobby)!

Every time; no matter how tired I get, I find I'm happy I went (although sometimes glad to leave) & I'm finding that my

son is noticing that he's not the center of the universe.

Disability doesn't give you a free pass from anything you don't feel like doing!

Last edited by coschristi; 07-15-2016 at 12:02 AM.. Reason: commas

Old 07-15-2016, 05:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wmsn4Life View Post
It can take a while to adjust to hearing aids. If they aren't working for you, you should go back and have them fixed, or else try a different kind.

As for your mom, if you have your own life now, then just brush off her comments and live it.
Sorry, it doesn't work that way. I wear the strongest type of hearing aid available. In one ear, I'm fully Deaf. And have stuggled with hearing loss since toddler age.

Wearing one doesn't give me pitch perfect hearing being able to hear like someone that doesn't have hearing loss

Quote:
Originally Posted by zentropa View Post
How do you know she thinks this if you rarely have contact?
I often have contact with my mom. I rarely see any of my relatives

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreSnowForMe View Post
Tell her it's not an excuse, it's a "reason." The "reason" I don't like going to big events with people who don't sign, is because it's miserable for me. Until you can walk in my shoes, you don't have the right to judge me for that. And surely, you don't want me to be miserable, do you?
Exactly how I feel
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or