Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2008, 08:15 AM

2,377 posts, read 5,400,715 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaykay View Post
Well, weight gain is not inevitable though I do realize it does happen. Probably depends on the individual and their make-up, metabolism etc. My mother quit smoking about 15 years ago after about 40+ years of heavy smoking! She never gained any weight from quitting and now has to work to keep her weight up.
Kay.. thanks for the encouragement...going to need all I can get!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2008, 10:17 AM

9,319 posts, read 16,655,876 times
VPCATS
Nicotine Withdrawal Symptoms
Cravings to smoke
Irritable, cranky
Insomnia
Fatigue
Inability to Concentrate
Headache
Cough
Sore throat
Constipation, gas, stomach pain
Dry mouth
Sore tongue and/or gums
Postnasal drip
Tightness in the chest

Old 02-21-2008, 12:06 PM

2,377 posts, read 5,400,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellwood View Post
VPCATS
Nicotine Withdrawal Symptoms
Cravings to smoke
Irritable, cranky
Insomnia
Fatigue
Inability to Concentrate
Headache
Cough
Sore throat
Constipation, gas, stomach pain
Dry mouth
Sore tongue and/or gums
Postnasal drip
Tightness in the chest
I have all those symptoms,anyway, so I might as well give quitting a try

Old 02-21-2008, 12:40 PM

12,974 posts, read 33,945,093 times
This is one tough question and I have been having great difficulty in answering. Its like saying "Which would you rather drink, a glass of warm homeless drunk guy's beer vomit or the blended remains of a dead alley cat with spoiled buttermilk?" Both are terrible but surprisngly, less deadly than smoking or obesity.

I still cant answer the OP's question though. I detest smoking and I refuse to let myself become overweight/obese.

Old 02-21-2008, 01:42 PM

9,319 posts, read 16,655,876 times
Default Quitting smoking

If I can quit, anyone can. I couldn't have done it without Chantix. The first step is wanting to quit. I planned on quiting for about 8 months before I took the Chantix. My problem was I loved to smoke, I totally enjoy it. I quit after 48 years, and I miss it! It is know as an addiction as strong as herion. BUT I refuse to become one of the militant anti-smokers!

Old 02-21-2008, 02:03 PM

50 posts, read 171,805 times
I'm going to put this bluntly, please don't take offense - other people smoking is killing me and my kids too - other people overeating is just damaging themselves. I'd perfer you and everyone else quit smoking.

Old 02-21-2008, 02:07 PM

392 posts, read 1,858,443 times
Smoking is an amazing powerful addiction. I think for a lot of people you are always a cigarette addict, whether you are currently smoking or not. I just caught my husband smoking again after a 2+ year hiatus. He has quit for up to 5 years at a stretch. Then he decides he is "stressed" (I swear it is smoker's favorite word ) and somehow he convinces himself if he just has one cigarette things will get better. Of course one is all it takes and he back to being a full time smoker.
I just watched my best friend (only 52, not overweight) just have a heart attack. Doctors told her it is directly related to her smoking...she must quit or die.
My dad died from emphysema, was on oxygen then a ventilator for the last 10 years of his life. It took all that for him to finally break the cycle of starting and stopping.
I wish all of you the very best in your battle and I truly hope you win!
Oh yes, and as to the OP's question I think genetics certainly play a role but in my experience smoking is worse.

Old 02-21-2008, 02:35 PM

730 posts, read 2,253,634 times
Default get it, but.......

Quote:
Originally Posted by vacationsover View Post
I'm going to put this bluntly, please don't take offense - other people smoking is killing me and my kids too - other people overeating is just damaging themselves. I'd perfer you and everyone else quit smoking.

I respect this comment, however In my "smoking phases" as we shall call them- I have kept my deadly smoke to myself- I only smoke outside on my back deck (in the open air)- killing neither your kids or mine. And even if the friend I posted about is currently a chimney- he contains this to his car (ick) and apartment only killing himself. So I would like to think that at least some of us smokers (current of otherwise) have some respect for non smokers and have given them the consideration they deserve by not puffin it up in public places.

Old 02-21-2008, 06:02 PM

Location: Lots of sun and palm trees with occasional hurricane :)
8,293 posts, read 16,155,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaBeez View Post
This is one tough question and I have been having great difficulty in answering. Its like saying "Which would you rather drink, a glass of warm homeless drunk guy's beer vomit or the blended remains of a dead alley cat with spoiled buttermilk?" Both are terrible but surprisngly, less deadly than smoking or obesity.

I still cant answer the OP's question though. I detest smoking and I refuse to let myself become overweight/obese.
Those were lovely analogies. And I happen to read this right after having had dinner.

Give a warning next time.

Old 02-21-2008, 06:09 PM

Location: Lots of sun and palm trees with occasional hurricane :)
8,293 posts, read 16,155,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellwood View Post
If I can quit, anyone can. I couldn't have done it without Chantix. The first step is wanting to quit. I planned on quiting for about 8 months before I took the Chantix. My problem was I loved to smoke, I totally enjoy it. I quit after 48 years, and I miss it! It is know as an addiction as strong as herion. BUT I refuse to become one of the militant anti-smokers!
I'm with you.

Like I said, I smoked for 40 years and probably spent the last 25 trying to quit. I've used every trick in the book. I've used several of the tricks simultaneously - such as the patch, acupunture, hypnosis and zyban all at the same time.

Smoking has had its effect on me. They should have made Chantix 10 years ago and I might have been able to quit soon enough. I never believed it would affect ME but it did and I kept smoking anyway. It's a vicious addiction.

Chantix is NOT a magic pill, but it helps more than anything else out there, if you just can't bring yourself to quitting on your own, or cold turkey.

You do need will power and more of it each and every day that goes by, at least for me. If you want to really succeed you just need to brainwash yourself and keep saying NO - just like the commercial. Just say NO and the other one - Just do it.

Yeah, I won't be one of those ex-smokers either, I hope but I will try to spread information for individuals to make a choice. I would try to be a good support person to anyone trying to quit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness