U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2008, 08:29 PM

730 posts, read 1,969,567 times

Advertisements

I realize this is a slightly silly post-but my friend has recently underwent a drastic weight loss (105 lbs) to be exact. He attributes this to smoking of all things. He is a boredom eater and claims that it curbs his appitite. Being a on/off again smoker myself I would have to agree I do eat less when I smoke. Of course I tell him to quit and he says he is "happier being thin" and calls me a hyprocrite. Although I am smart enough to know both of these things are horrible for you- I have to admit if I had to live with being being 100+ lbs overweight or suffer the side affects of smoking- It would be a hard choice.So which is deadlier??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2008, 12:05 AM

9,750 posts, read 21,599,773 times
Being 100 pounds overweight brings on more health problems like diabetes, high blood pressure, high cholesterol in some, knee problems, etc.
Being addicted to smoking can kill you. Plus you can end up with emphysema or lung cancer, get more colds that last a long time, have circulation problems from lack of blow flow to your hands and feet, plus you stink and your clothes and home as well.

They are both bad to have, but i would quit smoking first, then work on the weight.

Old 02-19-2008, 07:02 AM

621 posts, read 2,865,913 times
I quit smoking 3 months ago and have gained weight. They always say you will gain when you quit, and of course I did. Now, for me I would rather be 100lbs overweight than smoke. Well, I really wouldn't want to be either, but if I had to choose that's what I would choose. There are so many different ways to losing weight, and there is only one way to quit smoking. I watched my Mother die of lung cancer and wouldn't EVER want to go through that. From her diagnosis to her death it was only 7 months and she was only 52. I will never get those pictures out of my head.
I do understand your friends POV though, as I have been overweight most of my life and it's horrible. Probably before my mother's death I would have choosen smoking, but now my opinions have changed.

Old 02-19-2008, 01:05 PM

Location: Lots of sun and palm trees with occasional hurricane :)
8,292 posts, read 14,571,963 times
This is a hard question.

Smoking will kill you and so will obesity. Both are linked to many types of cancer, plus other problems that will make living very difficult.

I also just quit smoking last November - after 40 years. I decided better to gain weight and then work on losing it, than continue smoking. I kept saying "when I lose some weight, I will then quit smoking". Well, I never found the right time to lose weight or quit smoking so I quit smoking first. I've actually only gained about 4 lbs since.

Old 02-19-2008, 03:57 PM

7,268 posts, read 16,845,135 times
They are both deadly.
The doctor told my late husband after he quit smoking and started gaining weight that he would rather see him 20 pounds heavier than start smoking again.
100 pounds is a different story.

Old 02-19-2008, 05:23 PM

5,975 posts, read 17,139,378 times
It depends how much you smoke according to my doctor. Less than 6-7 cigarettes a day is not something he is alarmed over, even if he would rather one quits altogether. People who are 100+ overweight might be lucky to avoid diabetes, congestive heart failure, coronary artery disease and other such comorbid conditions. However, they can be prone to bone related illnesses - primarily the knees due to the excess weight and may eventually need surgeries related to this...not deadly otherwise.

Old 02-19-2008, 06:37 PM

Location: Lots of sun and palm trees with occasional hurricane :)
8,292 posts, read 14,571,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bibit612 View Post
It depends how much you smoke according to my doctor. Less than 6-7 cigarettes a day is not something he is alarmed over, even if he would rather one quits altogether. People who are 100+ overweight might be lucky to avoid diabetes, congestive heart failure, coronary artery disease and other such comorbid conditions. However, they can be prone to bone related illnesses - primarily the knees due to the excess weight and may eventually need surgeries related to this...not deadly otherwise.

I will try to find, over the next couple of days, a scientific article/study that will contradict what your doctor thinks about it being ok to smoke 6 or 7 cigarettes a day. It is also no less dangerous to smoke the "light" or "ultra light" cigarettes.

You know, I don't think it is possible to keep it at 6 or 7. You will increase, one day, one week, one year. It's a drug. It's addictive. It's like heroin, alcohol, cocaine but it's much more difficult to quit.

Old 02-19-2008, 07:57 PM

5,975 posts, read 17,139,378 times
vpcats - please do. Was curious about that too.

Old 02-19-2008, 08:02 PM

55,237 posts, read 72,392,137 times
does not have to be one or the other.
both are 100% health issues.

Old 02-19-2008, 11:11 PM

730 posts, read 1,969,567 times
Default Thanks for the inuput and stories

[quote=bibit612;2879800]It depends how much you smoke according to my doctor. Less than 6-7 cigarettes a day is not something he is alarmed over, even if he would rather one quits altogether.

I am afraid at this point the reality of having to maintain this weight loss throughout his life by working at it has really sat in. I know he smoked very little a first just to curb the appetite. After coming off quickly, his weightloss has hit a plateau- I think the worry of gaining it back after feeling so thin is stressing him- Thus the smoking is getting quite heavy! He fibs a little so I'm guessing about a half pack a day. And like many of you have stated THIS IS A HARD THING- no one desires to be fat or be a smoker.
BIBIT612-
I find your statement very intresting- I have never heard this. As I before mentioned that I have had periods in my life that I have smoked, given it up, and then started again. I have never smoked heavily (from 2-5 cigarettes a day)-but the problem is if you had up my years of smoking it's somewhere around 10 total- I find it very hard to believe that it has not raised my risk of cancer or other illnesses. No offense. That is why I am so bothered by seeing a friend pick up such a nasty habit-one that is so hard to drop even though you know its killing you.

Last edited by NOEM1226; 02-19-2008 at 11:23 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness