U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Closed Thread Start New Thread
 
Old 07-25-2016, 08:08 AM
 
4,632 posts, read 10,521,297 times
Reputation: 10338

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo48 View Post
It benefits the Big Pharm. Yes, doctors get samples which another poster said they cannot get. We heard there is a generic version of Crestor coming out so it would certainly benefit the brand name pharm. to push their's to doctors to prescribe this instead of the generic.

Business.
No it didn't benefit "Big Pharm" because at the time there was no generic Crestor so the only one that benefitted was your husband....not the doc....not Big Pharm....

Once generic Crestor reaches the market there is no "incentive" for docs to prescribe the brand name...in almost every state pharmacists are required to provide the cheaper generic unless a prescriber specifically checks a "dispense as written" box....

Contrary to belief of the lunatic fringe docs aren't out to price gouge their patients....if there is a cheaper alternative it will always be the best alternative not least because it increases compliance...

Again, contrary to the belief of the lunatic fringe, docs that are prescribing these medications are doing so to help their patients and it doesn't help if the patient's don't take the meds if they are too expensive for the patient to afford...

 
Old 07-25-2016, 08:30 AM
 
5,666 posts, read 3,210,029 times
Reputation: 6653
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedevilz View Post
No it didn't benefit "Big Pharm" because at the time there was no generic Crestor so the only one that benefitted was your husband....not the doc....not Big Pharm....

Once generic Crestor reaches the market there is no "incentive" for docs to prescribe the brand name...in almost every state pharmacists are required to provide the cheaper generic unless a prescriber specifically checks a "dispense as written" box....

Contrary to belief of the lunatic fringe docs aren't out to price gouge their patients....if there is a cheaper alternative it will always be the best alternative not least because it increases compliance...

Again, contrary to the belief of the lunatic fringe, docs that are prescribing these medications are doing so to help their patients and it doesn't help if the patient's don't take the meds if they are too expensive for the patient to afford...
Apples and Oranges. Doctors and Pharmaceuticals. It is purely business like any other business. Pharm salespeople want their products to sell over their competitors which is why they give free samples out. The doctor, or any other consumer, can choose which drug or product they want to prescribe/buy.

You do know that Salespeople have quotas to meet and get commissions whatever industry they work for? Perhaps in the future, my husband's doctor may be giving him samples of the Generic drug from their salespeople.

My point is that the Pharmaceutical Industry is just a business like any other. Sales keeps them in business. I used to work for the Corporate Headquarters of one of the oldest and largest ones.

Far too many of the general public, and some of our "medical professionals", think Big Pharms only operate out of the goodness of their hearts.
 
Old 07-25-2016, 08:42 AM
 
Location: SW Florida
9,172 posts, read 6,359,267 times
Reputation: 12761
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
I am so sick of it all. I still "stress" about my blood pressure and take 3 meds, older class, and still not as LOW as "they" say it should be. A friend sent me info on newer guidelines of 115/75 and the drug being pushed is telmisartan. I don't think it's real new but newer. I never heard of it. Just talked to the CVS pharmacist and for 90 tabs of a moderate dose it's $400+, I howled and said I'd rather die. I have no drug insurance.

I question the new guidelines just like the statins and that dangerous cholesterol.

My supplements are CHEAP. Too too bad I can't get off the BP meds and bring down the BP. I'll stick with what I take now.
You've posted at length and frequently about your determination to get off prescription meds and use supplements instead, so I can understand why you might not have prescription drug coverage. But is it possible you could find generic drugs for your high blood pressure at pharmacies where they have discount programs. I know around here some of the grocery stores have programs where customers can get 30 day supplies of specific drugs for $4.00 ( or a few are even free), or a three month supply for $10. I know Walmart has this program, and around here the Publix and Winn Dixie has them too. I never pay any attention to the ads on TV, I'm not a fan of the pharmaceutical companies advertising like that, and having been in the medical profession for so many years and in contact with so many providers I know how much a PIA patients can be to docs when they insist that a new "wonder" drug they saw on TV must "be right for them"-especially when it isn't!

I also take three blood pressure meds- one also keeps the atrial fibrillation at bay, and they are also older, and generic. I do have prescription drug coverage through our secondary insurance ( Medicare is our primary) and find they are pretty inexpensive with that coverage. I've also been able to lower my blood pressure to within normal limits by taking the drugs faithfully, exercising and watching what I eat. Works for me.
 
Old 07-25-2016, 11:09 AM
 
Location: Midwest, USA
706 posts, read 398,619 times
Reputation: 600
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedevilz View Post
Let me make it very simple for you...

Doctors are no longer given meals, tickets, swag, money or access to motivational speakers and haven't been for years...

So yes lets "careful here with words" particularly words that are completely FALSE
No, some of them merely receive ridiculous amounts of money to give presentations and consultations about drugs. But I'm sure you'll say that it's worth paying them $2000-3000 for a day's work.

https://www.propublica.org/article/w...llars-for-docs
 
Old 07-25-2016, 11:23 AM
 
4,632 posts, read 10,521,297 times
Reputation: 10338
Quote:
Originally Posted by freedomdove View Post
No, some of them merely receive ridiculous amounts of money to give presentations and consultations about drugs. But I'm sure you'll say that it's worth paying them $2000-3000 for a day's work.

https://www.propublica.org/article/w...llars-for-docs
It's "worth" whatever the market will bear...

This is hardly isolated to the medical realm....

"Expert" engineers, scientists, lawyers, consultants, politicians and other "professionals" are similarly compensated for their expertise in their given realms....

Don't hate because no one would pay to hear what you have to say.....ever
 
Old 07-25-2016, 11:31 AM
 
Location: Midwest, USA
706 posts, read 398,619 times
Reputation: 600
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedevilz View Post
It's "worth" whatever the market will bear...

This is hardly isolated to the medical realm....

"Expert" engineers, scientists, lawyers, consultants, politicians and other "professionals" are similarly compensated for their expertise in their given realms....

Don't hate because no one would pay to hear what you have to say.....ever
Typical troll response. Again, do you get paid to do this or is it just a hobby of yours?

The point is that doctors are *still* being paid exorbitant amounts of money by pharma companies--regardless of the fact that they can't get pens anymore (and boo-hoo about that, eh?). Why do the pharma boys need these doctors to give presentations and consulting, anyways? Why aren't their own reps doing it? Hm....maybe because it sounds better coming from a doctor?
 
Old 07-25-2016, 11:35 AM
 
Location: Midwest, USA
706 posts, read 398,619 times
Reputation: 600
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedevilz View Post
It's "worth" whatever the market will bear...
And well, the market *is* ridiculously big. Right up there with the industrial agriculture system. Yep---overbearing, overcompensated, and inflated egos abound in the medical-industrial complex.
 
Old 07-25-2016, 11:48 AM
 
Location: Paradise
2,413 posts, read 1,812,897 times
Reputation: 3927
Quote:
Originally Posted by freedomdove View Post
Why aren't their own reps doing it? Hm....maybe because it sounds better coming from a doctor?

This is just a guess, but I'd be willing to bet it's because the doctors are the ones talking to the patients who have taken these medications. Rarely to patients with experience talk to the reps of the pharmaceutical companies.


Case in point, I developed an allergy to a specific eye drop for glaucoma. My doc prescribed something different temporarily 'til we could sort out the issue. Problem was the temporary script was for drops that cost well over $4000 for a month. We were all shocked.


At first my doc said to me "what do you care, you have insurance". I pointed out that while, yes, I did have insurance I also had premiums and co-pays that would rise if the cost of general care went up. I pointed out that a $4000 script would be likely to cause those premiums to go up. He got it, and eventually he asked me for more information as he was asked by a professional group to speak about our experience. He told the others at that presentation to be aware of the cost when prescribing this medication.


And I'm sure he was paid for that presentation.
 
Old 07-25-2016, 12:14 PM
 
Location: Midwest, USA
706 posts, read 398,619 times
Reputation: 600
Quote:
Originally Posted by lunetunelover View Post
At first my doc said to me "what do you care, you have insurance". I pointed out that while, yes, I did have insurance I also had premiums and co-pays that would rise if the cost of general care went up. I pointed out that a $4000 script would be likely to cause those premiums to go up. He got it, and eventually he asked me for more information as he was asked by a professional group to speak about our experience. He told the others at that presentation to be aware of the cost when prescribing this medication.


And I'm sure he was paid for that presentation.
I'm glad to hear that he was honest about that aspect. Perhaps he's one of those doctors who went into healthcare because they actually want to help people.
 
Old 07-25-2016, 12:16 PM
 
Location: Midwest, USA
706 posts, read 398,619 times
Reputation: 600
Quote:
Originally Posted by freedomdove View Post
I'm glad to hear that he was honest about that aspect. Perhaps he's one of those doctors who went into healthcare because they actually want to help people.
I'm kidding, of course. Well, kinda. Lol. I know that most doctors go into the field because they are caring about humans. It's just that a lot of them get ruined while going through today's medical school. The ones who don't are the ones with true integrity.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top