U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Closed Thread Start New Thread
 
Old 07-22-2016, 06:45 PM
 
8,218 posts, read 8,498,682 times
Reputation: 10182

Advertisements

Ask Your Doctor if This Ad Is Right for You
By Elisabeth Rosenthal

The health care industry spent $14 billion on advertising in 2014, according to Kantar Media, a jump of nearly 20 percent since 2011. That includes over-the-counter medications, but not sponsorships (the Super Bowl had two health care systems as partners). While magazine advertising has dropped off somewhat with the withering of the publishing industry, television advertising has risen 55 percent for hospitals and 30 percent for prescription drugs in that period.

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/02/28/su...-you.html?_r=0

 
Old 07-22-2016, 08:25 PM
 
18,775 posts, read 6,129,215 times
Reputation: 12663
I am so sick of it all. I still "stress" about my blood pressure and take 3 meds, older class, and still not as LOW as "they" say it should be. A friend sent me info on newer guidelines of 115/75 and the drug being pushed is telmisartan. I don't think it's real new but newer. I never heard of it. Just talked to the CVS pharmacist and for 90 tabs of a moderate dose it's $400+, I howled and said I'd rather die. I have no drug insurance.

I question the new guidelines just like the statins and that dangerous cholesterol.

My supplements are CHEAP. Too too bad I can't get off the BP meds and bring down the BP. I'll stick with what I take now.
 
Old 07-22-2016, 09:56 PM
 
Location: Georgia, USA
21,483 posts, read 26,089,700 times
Reputation: 26435
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
I am so sick of it all. I still "stress" about my blood pressure and take 3 meds, older class, and still not as LOW as "they" say it should be. A friend sent me info on newer guidelines of 115/75 and the drug being pushed is telmisartan. I don't think it's real new but newer. I never heard of it. Just talked to the CVS pharmacist and for 90 tabs of a moderate dose it's $400+, I howled and said I'd rather die. I have no drug insurance.

I question the new guidelines just like the statins and that dangerous cholesterol.

My supplements are CHEAP. Too too bad I can't get off the BP meds and bring down the BP. I'll stick with what I take now.
There is no guideline of "115/75".

There are multiple guidelines that depend on age and the presence of other medical conditions, such as diabetes and heart disease.

The guideline for under age 60 or over 60 with medical problems is 140/90. For over age 60 with no medical problems it's 150/90.

http://www.nmhs.net/documents/27JNC8...ookBooklet.pdf

Two of my BP meds are free at Publix.

Telmisartan has been around since 1998.
 
Old 07-22-2016, 10:03 PM
 
Location: Georgia, USA
21,483 posts, read 26,089,700 times
Reputation: 26435
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cida View Post
Ask Your Doctor if This Ad Is Right for You
By Elisabeth Rosenthal

The health care industry spent $14 billion on advertising in 2014, according to Kantar Media, a jump of nearly 20 percent since 2011. That includes over-the-counter medications, but not sponsorships (the Super Bowl had two health care systems as partners). While magazine advertising has dropped off somewhat with the withering of the publishing industry, television advertising has risen 55 percent for hospitals and 30 percent for prescription drugs in that period.
Doctors would be thrilled if there were no prescription drug advertising.

AMA Calls for Ban on Direct to Consumer Advertising of Prescription Drugs and Medical Devices

Allowing doctors and hospitals to advertise was predicated on the idea that competition would lower prices. It has not done that.
 
Old 07-22-2016, 11:37 PM
 
18,775 posts, read 6,129,215 times
Reputation: 12663
On the 115/75 guideline, here is where I've read it.

Best Drug To Treat Hypertension - Life Extension
 
Old 07-23-2016, 12:50 AM
 
Location: Georgia, USA
21,483 posts, read 26,089,700 times
Reputation: 26435
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
On the 115/75 guideline, here is where I've read it.

Best Drug To Treat Hypertension - Life Extension

You will note that that number is the opinion of the writer of the article. It is not the recommended blood pressure goal for treated hypertension.

For many folks, 115/75 would be too low, with a risk of dizziness and fainting, particularly older people.

"If you're a healthy adult younger than age 60, or if you have chronic kidney disease, diabetes or coronary artery disease, your treatment goal is less than 140/90 mm Hg. If you're a healthy adult age 60 or older, your treatment goal is less than 150/90 mm Hg."


Blood pressure chart: What your reading means - Mayo Clinic
 
Old 07-23-2016, 12:54 AM
 
Location: Georgia, USA
21,483 posts, read 26,089,700 times
Reputation: 26435
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
Doctors would be thrilled if there were no prescription drug advertising.

AMA Calls for Ban on Direct to Consumer Advertising of Prescription Drugs and Medical Devices

Allowing doctors and hospitals to advertise was predicated on the idea that competition would lower prices. It has not done that.
For the person who left the unsigned rep asking how I know doctors would be thrilled if there were no prescription drug advertising, read the link. The AMA has called for a ban on direct to consumer drug advertising.
 
Old 07-23-2016, 08:41 AM
 
4,618 posts, read 10,497,588 times
Reputation: 10291
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
On the 115/75 guideline, here is where I've read it.

Best Drug To Treat Hypertension - Life Extension
As suzy has already pointed out...not a "guideline" just an opinion along with the recommendation for the drug you howled about...neither the "opinion" nor the "drug" is pushed by conventional MD's

It does seem funny that you are howling about these opinions when they come from a supplement guru and known quack from the odious Life Extension Foundation like William Faloon...

I would think you would be buying anything he's selling.....opinions included....
 
Old 07-23-2016, 10:42 AM
 
18,775 posts, read 6,129,215 times
Reputation: 12663
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedevilz View Post
As suzy has already pointed out...not a "guideline" just an opinion along with the recommendation for the drug you howled about...neither the "opinion" nor the "drug" is pushed by conventional MD's

It does seem funny that you are howling about these opinions when they come from a supplement guru and known quack from the odious Life Extension Foundation like William Faloon...

I would think you would be buying anything he's selling.....opinions included....
Well to be honest, I questioned that too about Faloon's works. But I don't make claims to know it all.
 
Old 07-23-2016, 10:47 AM
 
Location: California
4,445 posts, read 5,169,495 times
Reputation: 9180
It is no secret that doctors have a financial interest in selling their patients expensive new drugs, now many made in china, so we avoid them as much as possible, regardless of the marketing media non sense. They make billions by scaring people into thinking that have some magic cure which in some cases will make you worse. Nothing new, it has been around for centuries.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top