Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2016, 01:21 PM

21,884 posts, read 12,958,474 times

Advertisements

"...but if we use doctors and their knowledge to prolong life by using artificial means such as surgery or medications, aren't we kind of doing the same thing? Maybe He meant for us to die by giving us that heart attack but the doctor revived us with a machine so we live. Have we interfered with God's plan for us to die?"

I agree, which is why I basically eschew doctors and medical care (pseudo Christian Scientist), unlike most today who practically live at the doctor's and follow their edicts (and take their treatments) like sheep. I will avail myself of modern medicine to improve my quality of life while I naturally live, but I'm quite sure I wouldn't do so to artificially prolong it. Granted, it's often hard to separate the two areas.

It's also true that, with all the life-extending measures available, you almost have to kill yourself to die.

When I hear friends planning their retirement spots around proximity to doctors and hospitals, I SMH.

But, again, I would struggle with the morality of taking my own life, as death is no time to screw it up!

Because death ISN'T "the end of the story," at least in my belief system.

Last edited by otterhere; 08-11-2016 at 01:30 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2016, 02:14 PM

25 posts, read 23,504 times
Yes, I would.

I've lived my life with only a few minor regrets, as I believe most of us have.

If we are apt to put a pet down when it's suffering so much with horrific pain - we should have the same right to make that decision for ourselves.

I've already told my family that I do not want to be kept alive artificially by means of machines, because for me, that's not life - that's being a mechanical-zombie in a coma.

AuntieK

Old 08-11-2016, 02:21 PM

I do think there's a lot of cultural pressure for people -- especially cancer patients (they don't even like the word "victim") -- to fight the battle and win. The verbiage is very strange to me, like a literal war. It makes those who "beat it" a "winner" and I guess, following this to the logical conclusion, those who succumb to it "losers"? Those militaristic terms always rubbed me the wrong way, and I REALLY hate to see especially little kids made to "fight" to the bitter end, long after it's clear that they're going to die. Instead of suffering through chemotherapy (which is poison, after all) and radiation (which kills healthy tissue), why not let them enjoy life? People are even doing this with their pets these days! I fear it's at least partly, at its root, about profit for the doctors, hospitals, and especially Big Pharma, which is sad.

I can't imagine what the warriors would say about someone who didn't even begin to "fight the fight."

Old 08-11-2016, 02:26 PM

146 posts, read 162,449 times
[quote=otterhere;45094301]I would be tempted, but I'm undecided as to whether or not this would be "suicide," which is against my religion and which, furthermore, I sincerely believe to be a big spiritual mistake. Not sure if the terminal diagnosis gives you an out. You never know what God has in mind for the remainder of your life, and God alone as the author of life and our creator has the right to end it. Again, that's my belief.

"I don't really understand why people can't just be sedated with good old benzodiazepines (sleeping pills) until death occurs. "Go to sleep and not wake up" which is how EVERYONE wants to go. Maybe this IS "assisted suicide" or maybe morphine does the same thing when the time comes in Hospice."

Patients are euthanized in hospitals daily. Morphine is given to reduce "air hunger" and eventually causes their death. No one talks about it.

Old 08-11-2016, 02:40 PM

"Patients are euthanized in hospitals daily. Morphine is given to reduce "air hunger" and eventually causes their death. No one talks about it."

I AM aware of this; it's the Hospice "double effect." If the patient - or, more often, the family - doesn't want the suffering to go on, death can be pretty darned sudden. It's amazing to me how many truly believe that the patient "waited for the loved ones to leave the room to choose to die." But whatever gets you through. The double-effect standard allows a lethal dose of morphine to be administered but, as you say, no one ever talks about it.

Old 08-11-2016, 03:08 PM

1,858 posts, read 3,103,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
I would be tempted, but I'm undecided as to whether or not this would be "suicide," which is against my religion and which, furthermore, I sincerely believe to be a big spiritual mistake. Not sure if the terminal diagnosis gives you an out. You never know what God has in mind for the remainder of your life, and God alone as the author of life and our creator has the right to end it. Again, that's my belief.

I don't really understand why people can't just be sedated with good old benzodiazepines (sleeping pills) until death occurs. "Go to sleep and not wake up" which is how EVERYONE wants to go. Maybe this IS "assisted suicide" or maybe morphine does the same thing when the time comes in Hospice.

Law or no law, you can always simply voluntarily abstain from eating and drinking; with a diagnosis and living will, no one can force it on you. But, again, this would fall under the heading of "suicide" for me.
So, it's okay to be artificially induced into a comatose state until life ends, but you can't just end your life? So what if I refuse additional medical treatment, or have a "do not resuscitate" order. Is that okay? It's logic like this that drove me out of organized religion. SMH

Last edited by dmills; 08-11-2016 at 03:16 PM..

Old 08-11-2016, 03:13 PM

That's what I'm saying; that's probably not "okay" either, if you're aware of it or invite it. So obviously I shouldn't read so much!

Old 08-11-2016, 03:28 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,442,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
I would be tempted, but I'm undecided as to whether or not this would be "suicide," which is against my religion and which, furthermore, I sincerely believe to be a big spiritual mistake. Not sure if the terminal diagnosis gives you an out. You never know what God has in mind for the remainder of your life, and God alone as the author of life and our creator has the right to end it. Again, that's my belief.

I don't really understand why people can't just be sedated with good old benzodiazepines (sleeping pills) until death occurs. "Go to sleep and not wake up" which is how EVERYONE wants to go. Maybe this IS "assisted suicide" or maybe morphine does the same thing when the time comes in Hospice.

Law or no law, you can always simply voluntarily abstain from eating and drinking; with a diagnosis and living will, no one can force it on you. But, again, this would fall under the heading of "suicide" for me.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmills View Post
So, it's okay to be artificially induce a comatose state until life ends, but you can't just end your life? It's logic like this that drove me out of organized religion. SMH
dmills, I'm just as puzzled as you are.

Otterhere, I still don't get the bolded statement in blue. On the one hand you say you think you couldn't support assisted suicide because it's against your religious beliefs but on the other you ask why can't people just take pills and go to sleep. That's what assisted suicide is. You get pills, you take them, you're sedated, you die. It doesn't have to be in hospice, it can be anywhere the person chooses. I wonder if you understand the procedure of how it works.

Anyway, I am not trying to talk you out of your beliefs, just trying to make it clear what the procedure is. Many people don't really know what assisted suicide really involves so they can't really make an informed decision.

Old 08-11-2016, 03:32 PM

The difference is that one does it to oneself and the other is that it is done to one. I've stated several times now that - in MY belief system (you don't have to agree with it) -- either is equally wrong IF it's done with your knowledge and consent.

As for the sleeping pill statement, which is kind of addressing a different question (assuming you're morally okay with suicide), I'm mostly just wondering why morphine is used to "euthanize" when plain old sedatives would do the job. I suppose because the cover story of the double effect (pain relief) is necessary, either legally or ethically.

And I do see a slippery slope here when relatives, etc., begin deciding on "suicide" for others and/or pressuring them to take that route.

Old 08-11-2016, 03:56 PM

903 posts, read 583,248 times
One thing I note from some of the comments is the assisted suicide can only be used when you receive a terminal diagnosis and are medically pronounced to be 6-months away from death. What about diseases that are a long drawn out affair like ALS or Alzheimer's? Doesn't seem like they are afforded such a choice?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness