Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2008, 11:17 AM

409 posts, read 2,782,684 times

Advertisements

My husband has severe bronchitis. He smokes but has not been too much since he's sick. Boy is he sick. Went to the md and he gave him xray and cough stuff w/codeine in it. He stops for drinks every day with friends before coming home and is mixing the two and says he's fine although i notice he isnt at all. Seems depressed, lost about 15 lbs, eats practically nothing suddenly. I know he's sick, but I never lost weight or just stopped eating because of bronchitis. Is the codeine wrecking his taste and appetite? He looks anorexic, it's awful.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2008, 01:12 PM

2,868 posts, read 9,550,526 times
If he has had bronchitis long enough to lose 15 LBS...I think I would go for a 2nd opinion...and some different meds.

Old 02-20-2008, 01:38 PM

He's not even coughing and they gave him liquid with codeine. I told him to stop it. I think its changing his taste and making everything taste bad. He can be a little dramatic about things because he's not used to being sick. He also had problems at his job that upset him so I guess the combination of that and being sick put him over.

Old 02-20-2008, 06:41 PM

2,467 posts, read 12,244,664 times
Actually, if you have broncitis you aren't suppose to supress it with cough medicine, except if absolutely necessary at night. He also shouln't be on codeine for that long...and you shouldn't mix with alcohol....... He really needs to get back to the doctor. This also isn't a great combination, especially if he is depressed. He absolutely SHOULD NOT be smoking at all if he has broncitis

Old 02-20-2008, 11:28 PM

2,110 posts, read 6,956,006 times
I have had bronchitis many times. I dont remember the Dr. giving me codine though. I usually get antibiotics and some kind of cough syrup, but it is to assist you in coughing up the stuff in your lungs. You need to be able to cough up all the junk that has settled in your lungs. As far as eatting, I really didnt feel like eatting myself when I was sick. It is hard to breathe, much less eat. I would take your hubby to the Dr again. Bronchitis can be very serious as I am sure you know already. I would take him to get a re-check, and maybe some different meds. Codine doesnt always agree with people either. He might be feeling worse because of the codine.

Old 02-20-2008, 11:46 PM

498 posts, read 1,519,598 times
Smile Unite

When ever I get bronchitis, the doc gives me Tussin x. It has codine in it. It works for almost 12 hours though. I am a smoker also, so the regular cough syrups don't even touch it. You might ask about some kind of oral steroids.

I really wish he would just come after work if he is that sick and worn out. He is looking to get pnemonia carrying on like that. It really worries me that he is mixing alcahol daily with this drug. I know it is not easy to break routine but sometimes we have to do what we have to do.

I hope he gets better soon. Try to talk him into resting. Stay in bed. I have to make mine stay in bed when he is sick too. He has had 4 heart attacks, so I do not give him the choice. He can go to the bed mad, I don't care just as long as he is laying down and resting.

As bad as it sounds, I am with the others here, make him another doc appointment. My aunt eats Vicks. I know it sounds crazy but she has been doing it all her life. It keeps the bronchitis and colds away. I have never eaten it myself.

Well as I said I hope he gets better real soon. Feed him whatever he will eat and keep lots of fluids going through him. You might try pedilite or gatorade or one of them vitamin drinks. Make sure he is getting some salt so that his electrolytes don't crash.

Wish I could just nod my head like Jeannie and make us all well again.

LIVE LAUGH AND LOVE

Old 02-21-2008, 10:50 AM

2,868 posts, read 9,550,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UNITE View Post
When ever I get bronchitis, the doc gives me Tussin x. It has codine in it. It works for almost 12 hours though. I am a smoker also, so the regular cough syrups don't even touch it. You might ask about some kind of oral steroids.

I really wish he would just come after work if he is that sick and worn out. He is looking to get pnemonia carrying on like that. It really worries me that he is mixing alcahol daily with this drug. I know it is not easy to break routine but sometimes we have to do what we have to do.

I hope he gets better soon. Try to talk him into resting. Stay in bed. I have to make mine stay in bed when he is sick too. He has had 4 heart attacks, so I do not give him the choice. He can go to the bed mad, I don't care just as long as he is laying down and resting.

As bad as it sounds, I am with the others here, make him another doc appointment. My aunt eats Vicks. I know it sounds crazy but she has been doing it all her life. It keeps the bronchitis and colds away. I have never eaten it myself.

Well as I said I hope he gets better real soon. Feed him whatever he will eat and keep lots of fluids going through him. You might try pedilite or gatorade or one of them vitamin drinks. Make sure he is getting some salt so that his electrolytes don't crash.

Wish I could just nod my head like Jeannie and make us all well again.

LIVE LAUGH AND LOVE

Whoa...

Never heard of that...

Old 02-22-2008, 08:46 AM

Location: Lots of sun and palm trees with occasional hurricane :)
8,293 posts, read 16,156,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mimosa View Post
My husband has severe bronchitis. He smokes but has not been too much since he's sick. Boy is he sick. Went to the md and he gave him xray and cough stuff w/codeine in it. He stops for drinks every day with friends before coming home and is mixing the two and says he's fine although i notice he isnt at all. Seems depressed, lost about 15 lbs, eats practically nothing suddenly. I know he's sick, but I never lost weight or just stopped eating because of bronchitis. Is the codeine wrecking his taste and appetite? He looks anorexic, it's awful.
He needs to get checked for pneumonia. He should not have lost so much weight so quickly if it's just a cold. Are you sure it's just bronchitis?

I used to smoke. A LOT. I have chronic bronchitis. My colds were absolutely horrible. I dreaded them. I ALWAYS got antibiotics to avoid a 2ndary infection (such as pneumonia) and my doctor always gave me a cough syrup with codeine so I wouldn't break my ribs with the severe dry coughing when I got sick. It also gave everyone else at home a chance to sleep.

He cannot be mixing alcohol and codeine. I hope he's not driving around.

Old 02-22-2008, 09:49 AM

thank you all for all your info. I got him off the codeine two days ago. He has alot of stuff going on at work, they are buying him out and he's very upset about it, so I think his resistence was already down, he got sick, and his head is wacky right now because of his job. Didnt like being told he was retiring. I think the work stuff is really his problem, not the bronchitis anymore. I am just hoping this doesnt go into depression.

My little dog was sick the same week as all this. I should get a medal for making it thru.

Old 02-22-2008, 09:58 AM

Location: Lots of sun and palm trees with occasional hurricane :)
8,293 posts, read 16,156,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mimosa View Post
thank you all for all your info. I got him off the codeine two days ago. He has alot of stuff going on at work, they are buying him out and he's very upset about it, so I think his resistence was already down, he got sick, and his head is wacky right now because of his job. Didnt like being told he was retiring. I think the work stuff is really his problem, not the bronchitis anymore. I am just hoping this doesnt go into depression.

My little dog was sick the same week as all this. I should get a medal for making it thru.
http://cdnll.users1.imagechef.com/ic/stored/users_105/526217/samp43efc890c31158d0.jpg (broken link)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness