Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: How many pills do you take per day?
0 22 31.43%
1 12 17.14%
2 7 10.00%
3 7 10.00%
4 5 7.14%
5 2 2.86%
6 or more 15 21.43%
Voters: 70. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2016, 08:30 AM

885 posts, read 1,165,961 times

Advertisements

I take at least 16: 2 are prescription, 14 are supplements (some are twice daily), and then (not in the count of 16) I may take 2 Tylenol at bedtime (usually) plus Tylenol and/ or a narcotic pain med (in addition to the other 2 prescription meds) during the day if needed. This is only in the last 2-3 yrs. Before that I took nothing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2016, 05:19 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,663,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aery11 View Post
Not much you can do when diagnosed with hypothyroidism but take a pill every day - the alternative is not pretty, believe me. I tried the no-pill approach there. I was devastated when I was told in my late 40s that I would need to take thyroid pills for the rest of my life, but, in that particular case there really isn't much you can do about it - other than try to avoid having to take any others too. And even that one pill is no panacea - because unless you have no thyroid function at all, it does not take into account fluctuations in production that affect one on a daily basis - but they do help, most of the time.

Having to take many pills for many different conditions/reasons is where the problem comes in - with drug interactions. That scares me more now than having to take one pill a day for hypothyroidism (which is not perfect but allows me to function better than I did before it).

I do anything I can now to ensure that the efficacy of that one drug is not compromised by eating (or drinking coffee) too soon after taking it, eating the wrong things, etc. 20 plus years later, I go to the doctor once a year, have one blood test, and get a year's prescription and that is the extent of the 'medical care' I still require for the most part. So far so good.

What exactly though is the point of this thread? Just a 'survey' to prove that too many are taking too many drugs daily? I think that we already know that in general people are prescribed far too many drugs - and many actually believe they should take them when prescribed but that is not always true. If one needs a drug (and determining that 'need' is probably the biggest issue - after all statins for instance may not be the be-all for all that doctors have been telling society for years that they are! and cholesterol levels may not actually indicate what people thought they did, etc.), one may have to take it (but consider everything first before you just fall into that trap of taking a doctor's word for it and adding to a long resume of drugs to take on a daily basis ad infinitum).
very good post; As for the thyroid you said something that surprises me a bit. I do not eat until at least 1/2 after taking my morning pill, but neither the doctor or the pharmacist has ever mentioned not drinking coffee. I do drink my first cup right after taking my med; have never had any problems.

Again, thanks for an interesting post.

Old 08-28-2016, 10:48 PM

1,122 posts, read 960,177 times
I am not going to list all that I am on but will say I also have Hypothyroidism. It's not fun if you do not take your medication which my 45 yr old daughter sometimes does not. I get so mad at her. Hypo runs in our family...

I've been chronically ill since 2000. I have Fibromyalgia and RSD. I deal with a lot of pain. Not fun...I survive by taking one day at a time. I guess I got my parents lousy genes. Only good thing I got was great hair. Ha! and a baby face.

I think I posted my one website (in profile) which will lead to my other site about my health and what I deal with. I have a wonderful husband whose very supportive. Sometimes you just go with the flow...

Old 08-29-2016, 11:25 AM

15,945 posts, read 12,275,010 times
Basic equate (wal-mart) multivitamin (1)
Magnesium Malate (3)
Zinc (1)
Chewable Vitamin C (2)
Choline (on days when I don't have eggs)

I guess that puts me over 6. Perhaps not necessary, but it's good to take supplemental Magnesium at the very least, probably the most important extra thing one could take.

Old 08-29-2016, 12:30 PM

5,947 posts, read 5,466,637 times
How many pills? Do you mean quantity or types?
7 supplements, 3 prescription, 15 total pills

Daily in the AM

Supplements
Alpha Lipoic Acid (ALA) 2x300mg
Milk Thistle 3x1000mg
Calcium/Magnesium/Zinc/D3 Qty 3
Vitamin B12 1x500mcg
Turmeric Circumin 1x1000mg
Grapeseed Extract 1x400mg

Prescriptions
Glimepiride 2mg 1x
Metformin 1000mg (2x500mg)
Lisinopril 20mg 1x
I am off of my statin at the moment (Simvastatin 1x 40mg)

Daily in the PM
Metformin 500mg
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness