Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2016, 04:38 PM

6,904 posts, read 7,601,833 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mary2014 View Post
I specifically told my trainer how quickly my left side of my torso will give me issues when I am exercising. He designed specific stretching exercises to address the problem. We spent the first 4 half hour sessions working on nothing but proper stretching. It made all the difference in the world.
THIS! I tore a muscle in my back just by getting up from a chair incorrectly two years ago, and spent almost 24 hours screaming out loud in pain. After seeing a doctor, I spent four months in physical therapy. From the therapists I learned a set of stretching exercises that I do every day. I've learned that if I skip stretching I'll soon feel pain again. So, even though it's boring, even though I never did it until my late 50s, I do the stretching exercises.

So, stretch, stretch, stretch every day and see what that does for you before you even consider a surgical option. And do learn the correct stretches for your specific situation from a physical therapist or professional trainer.

That professional should also be able to recommend other exercises that you can do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2016, 05:27 PM

248 posts, read 194,379 times
this is excellent. do hope those reading these word will take note and not slough the words off as useless. Thank you!!

Old 08-21-2016, 06:40 PM

1,276 posts, read 1,774,865 times
This guy is age 65. Yes, he obviously supplements, likely on cruise and blast testosterone, but by age 65, you're shut down anyhow, so why not? This guy will outlive most all of us. He's healthy and living life to it's fullest.

http://c249051.r51.cf1.rackcdn.com/e...7a59531458.jpg

You may know this guy. He's 70 now. Rumor has it, he uses HGH and Testosterone. Who cares! He's freaking 70 and still outpaces most millennial ninny boys these days.

http://oi44.tinypic.com/jptqx2.jpg

Old 08-22-2016, 08:17 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,793,239 times
Thank you all.

Lots of reading to do. Lots of ideas to check out. I am not sure whether I need to focus on my back or my knees. Knees to not hurt, but I simple cannot get up from the ground without something or someone to pull on. This weekend while working on my truck I squatted down to release something and could nto get back up, I had to lie down and crawl/roll over to a smaller car and use it to pull myself back up, still it did not hurt, I just could nto stand . this is ridiculous. My back is more controllable by sleeping in the correct position. So I will probably focus on my knees.

I have not read the whole lot, but I do see some discussion about chiropractic. Chiropractic scares me somewhat. If you research how it began, it was started by a nutjob who claimed he had "magnetic hands" There was no science to it, just marketing. He was prosecuted at least once for "quackery" Still the concept appears to have been a pretty good idea. However the marketing and absurd claims never went away. As it grew, they started inserting some science, but it is still very marketing oriented. What bothers me is, most or all of them do a whole bunch of pricey tests, tell you whatever and then the exact same "adjustment" that they do on everyone else (unless they see a problem or danger with some part of your spine). They also use all sorts of unproven gadgets which sometimes later become illegal here or elsewhere. (The pricey decompression machines are illegal to sell in Canada). Some are worse than others and operate more on the side of mysticism than science, others actually seem to have some idea what they are going and what their services can and cannot do. My Brother in law's brother was crippled by a chrio and had to have three surgeries to regain the use of his arm. I had one guy use an ultra sound device to heat up the muscles around my lower back. It did not seem to help me at all and I quit paying for it after a few months. I later learned this is very dangerous. The same guy eventually tried to determine what vitamins I needed by placing little glass jars with pills in them under my belt and pushing against my arms. He claimed my body could sense what vitamins were in the glass jars and I would push more strongly if the vitamin was one I needed. Ok buddy, you are not messing with my spine ever again. I baled even though I had 7 visits left on a 10 visit pre-pay deal.

On the plus side, their treatments sometimes help - at least temporarily and it seems they can eventually provide some long term relief even if they do not solve the problem. I have had no luck with chriopractic this time other than to relieve a lot of the pain for a few hours or sometimes even for a day or two. Sometimes, it does not help me at all. When I first went toe h vitamin guy, buy back was tweaked from moving some have stuff. For several weeks I would hobble in bent almost perpendicular and able to walk only with a cane, and I would walk out carrying the cane over my shoulder. Each time, the relief lasted a little longer until I was finally able to walk normally again. So while he was basically giving me all sorts of witch doctor treatments, the adjustments, or the massage table did actually help. I was just taking a big risk letting this screwball play with my spine (although I did not realize it at the time). My current Chiro is no nonsense. He does not make any grandiose claims. He said he can get my spine loosened up and provide some pain relief but told me I will eventually need to get PT or possibly surgery. My visits with him take about ten minutes. He does not mess around telling me a bunch of sales BS, he just says lie down, crack pop pop, bye. Do you feel any better? See you next time. I can lie on the massage table if I have the time, which is worth the price of a visit all by itself.

I tried yoga too, but most of the moves, are impossible for me. I did OK in a one on one with the instructor there to support me/help me up, but I really could not do much at all. I did learn some hip flexor stretches that are important for people who sit at a desk for too long. I am fortunate in that we have a yoga guy give a short class twice a week in our office at lunch time. Since hardly anyone goes, he is able to give everyone personal attention. Like Chrioprctic, it helps some, but it is not going to solve my issues.

I will read over the suggestions and figure out what kind of person I think will help me. Thank you for your suggestions.

Old 08-22-2016, 09:32 AM

8,087 posts, read 9,836,106 times
You are a good guy, CJ, best wishes. See Herr Dr.

As I wrote, we are all one injury away.

Old 08-22-2016, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
Thank you all.

Lots of reading to do. Lots of ideas to check out. I am not sure whether I need to focus on my back or my knees. Knees to not hurt, but I simple cannot get up from the ground without something or someone to pull on. This weekend while working on my truck I squatted down to release something and could nto get back up, I had to lie down and crawl/roll over to a smaller car and use it to pull myself back up, still it did not hurt, I just could nto stand . this is ridiculous. My back is more controllable by sleeping in the correct position. So I will probably focus on my knees.

I have not read the whole lot, but I do see some discussion about chiropractic. Chiropractic scares me somewhat. If you research how it began, it was started by a nutjob who claimed he had "magnetic hands" There was no science to it, just marketing. He was prosecuted at least once for "quackery" Still the concept appears to have been a pretty good idea. However the marketing and absurd claims never went away. As it grew, they started inserting some science, but it is still very marketing oriented. What bothers me is, most or all of them do a whole bunch of pricey tests, tell you whatever and then the exact same "adjustment" that they do on everyone else (unless they see a problem or danger with some part of your spine). They also use all sorts of unproven gadgets which sometimes later become illegal here or elsewhere. (The pricey decompression machines are illegal to sell in Canada). Some are worse than others and operate more on the side of mysticism than science, others actually seem to have some idea what they are going and what their services can and cannot do. My Brother in law's brother was crippled by a chrio and had to have three surgeries to regain the use of his arm. I had one guy use an ultra sound device to heat up the muscles around my lower back. It did not seem to help me at all and I quit paying for it after a few months. I later learned this is very dangerous. The same guy eventually tried to determine what vitamins I needed by placing little glass jars with pills in them under my belt and pushing against my arms. He claimed my body could sense what vitamins were in the glass jars and I would push more strongly if the vitamin was one I needed. Ok buddy, you are not messing with my spine ever again. I baled even though I had 7 visits left on a 10 visit pre-pay deal.

On the plus side, their treatments sometimes help - at least temporarily and it seems they can eventually provide some long term relief even if they do not solve the problem. I have had no luck with chriopractic this time other than to relieve a lot of the pain for a few hours or sometimes even for a day or two. Sometimes, it does not help me at all. When I first went toe h vitamin guy, buy back was tweaked from moving some have stuff. For several weeks I would hobble in bent almost perpendicular and able to walk only with a cane, and I would walk out carrying the cane over my shoulder. Each time, the relief lasted a little longer until I was finally able to walk normally again. So while he was basically giving me all sorts of witch doctor treatments, the adjustments, or the massage table did actually help. I was just taking a big risk letting this screwball play with my spine (although I did not realize it at the time). My current Chiro is no nonsense. He does not make any grandiose claims. He said he can get my spine loosened up and provide some pain relief but told me I will eventually need to get PT or possibly surgery. My visits with him take about ten minutes. He does not mess around telling me a bunch of sales BS, he just says lie down, crack pop pop, bye. Do you feel any better? See you next time. I can lie on the massage table if I have the time, which is worth the price of a visit all by itself.

I tried yoga too, but most of the moves, are impossible for me. I did OK in a one on one with the instructor there to support me/help me up, but I really could not do much at all. I did learn some hip flexor stretches that are important for people who sit at a desk for too long. I am fortunate in that we have a yoga guy give a short class twice a week in our office at lunch time. Since hardly anyone goes, he is able to give everyone personal attention. Like Chrioprctic, it helps some, but it is not going to solve my issues.

I will read over the suggestions and figure out what kind of person I think will help me. Thank you for your suggestions.
get your hormones checked, find a doctor who is not conservative and will allow you to supplement them back in balance to where they were when you were 30 years old. Start for three months finding ways to burn off your excess fat, get it the hell off you, from there start lifting weights, train hard, use slow steady motions, build muscle. Work your core any way you can, until the surrounding muscle has formed to hold that lower back in place. Stop whining and get it done. Quit wasting your time with girly exercises like yoga and walking. Be a damn man and get your hormones high and in line. Men turning to women these days in their 50's. No excuse for it.

Sorry for the harsh tone, but this is your reality. Excuse laced. We all have aches and pains. Work through and around them, build a duper strong fit body for the long haul and they will go away one by one. American's these days want magic drug, or to talk about stuff until they are purple instead of just doing it!!!

Old 08-22-2016, 10:18 AM

18,757 posts, read 11,792,197 times
[quote=jaminhealth;45210614][quote=animalcrazy;45209670]

There certainly are exercise junkies. I danced my legs and body off for years, loved it. Went to a gym for 30 some yrs and left the gym in my mid 60's due to advancing joint damage.

One man I remember was totally fanatic, we called him the bionic man, had so many joint replacements and still a fanatic.

At my late date and all the joint issues, MODERATION pays off for most. I'm not a "junkie" in any manner, foods, drugs etc.

I just caught up with an old friend who was a fanatic with gym work, squats and weights, etc etc...and he's living with a difficult knee replacement MESS and just went thru a shoulder replacement, talking about doing the other shoulder..wheeeeeeeeeeee

He talks about regrets.

Everyone chooses.

I fully expect to have bilateral knee replacements later in life. Between roller skating, ice skating, skiing, and biking I'm sure I'll wear them out sooner or later. I worked in health care for over 25 years and I've noticed the people that do best post op are the ones that were fit going into the surgery.

I roller skate with people in their 70's 80' and one is 92 I had a nice conversation with one who just turned 89 about skiing. Yes he still does it. These seniors have a great quality of life because they move and never stopped.

Yes what I do physically is hard on the body, but it beats sitting on the sofa and becoming soft. I'll take my chances with the knee replacement. It's been about three days since my last night right. Those peptides that hit that G spot in my brain are taunting me.

Old 08-22-2016, 10:42 AM

248 posts, read 194,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alaskaboy View Post
get your hormones checked, find a doctor who is not conservative and will allow you to supplement them back in balance to where they were when you were 30 years old. Start for three months finding ways to burn off your excess fat, get it the hell off you, from there start lifting weights, train hard, use slow steady motions, build muscle. Work your core any way you can, until the surrounding muscle has formed to hold that lower back in place. Stop whining and get it done. Quit wasting your time with girly exercises like yoga and walking. Be a damn man and get your hormones high and in line. Men turning to women these days in their 50's. No excuse for it.

Sorry for the harsh tone, but this is your reality. Excuse laced. We all have aches and pains. Work through and around them, build a duper strong fit body for the long haul and they will go away one by one. American's these days want magic drug, or to talk about stuff until they are purple instead of just doing it!!!
I will admit your tone is harsh and not knowing what the physical limitations are of others you also are sounding judgmental. the day may come you will in an uncomfortable situation as well.

We all need some type of physical exercise, but your macho tone is extreme and stated out of ignorance.

Yes, dismounting soapbox once again.

Old 08-22-2016, 11:09 AM

29,267 posts, read 16,741,456 times
One poster mentioned HORMONES, and truth is DHEA declines in both sexes at 20-30 yrs of age, I started taking DHEA in my 50's when I got to an integrative MD place in my life. Conventional MD's I don't think even check DHEA, don't know for sure but it took an integrative MD to wake this up in my life.

Old 08-22-2016, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by composter View Post
I will admit your tone is harsh and not knowing what the physical limitations are of others you also are sounding judgmental. the day may come you will in an uncomfortable situation as well.

We all need some type of physical exercise, but your macho tone is extreme and stated out of ignorance.

Yes, dismounting soapbox once again.
I don't care what you think of my tone. The reality is, many middle aged men sit around and whine like women and can't figure it out without someone being harsh. Hormones control all factors in us. If you're an aging male and you Test is low, you're going to decline and become more feminine by the day. Just a fact. Hard work and hormonal balance will set you straight and bring the aging process to a crawl. Yes, there are many natural things we can and should do, but also, in today's world, there are many medical things available to us as well. If a man choses to feel and look like he's 35 when he's 65, he can achieve that. There are many examples to be found of this. It takes dedication and work, not sitting around whining about aches and pains.

When my lower back was out, it took me ten minutes to get out of bed and on my feet. I damn near had to use a walker for a month. But I still did daily core exercises. I built a rock solid core around my lower back and my back problems were gone. You think doing side bends and crunches etc with a whacked back was easy? No it wasn't, but I knew to make my lower back solid, it had to be done. Those muscles are what hold your lower Vert. in place and keep them from slipping.

My point is, I read the entire thread and I had many of the same ailments and did something about them. So can you and everyone else.

Start by ordering a FULL panel of labs that check ALL YOU HORMONES and CBC. Then build and tweak from there. I'm in my late 40's and keep my testosterone between 750-850, NATURALLY. I was at 500 when I first checked it three years ago....Higher than most 30 year old men. I train my a** off every day. I feel great and so can you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness