U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2016, 12:20 AM

13,433 posts, read 24,210,764 times

Advertisements

I'm old enough now that quite a few people I know have had cataract surgery. And they are all glad they got it done and they all opted for perfect distance vision. They still use reading glasses. A friend had it done last week and was out dancing the next night.

Makes me glad I was born when I was. I also remember the 'old' cataract surgery where they had to wear those thick glasses and many never saw well enough to drive again! Back then people avoided the surgery till they had no choice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2016, 12:34 AM

1,036 posts, read 546,469 times
Me too. I was told I had them when I was early 60's. 6-7 yrs later I am now turning on brighter lights. Optometrist could not correct my vision to 20/20 in one eye. I have noticed that my long-distance vision is no longer as clear as it was so I believe they are progressing. Dr. told me that I could go get them taken off when my sight became annoying. I might be getting close to that point. First I need to find a dr. One I had picked out I found out doesn't see his patients first, they see assistants, then he operates. No, don't feel comfortable with that. Need to find someone else to do the deed.

Old 08-24-2016, 06:42 AM

18,891 posts, read 8,873,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FiveLoaves View Post
I'm curious to hear more about those ethosheaven eye drops. By Perscription ?? OTC ???

My problem seems to be the "floaters" which I'm told is the retinal fluid turning to a liquid of thinner consistency and not really operable. I don't think cataracts are my major problem. I want to avoid the operation, but the doctors these days seem to want to fill their Surgery Day with appointments. Must be a lucrative profit margin.
Well, I'm sure it's lucrative, but I don't think that reputable ophthalmologists are trying to fill their surgery calendars with unnecessary cataract surgeries. For example, my ophthalmologist is generally scheduling cataract surgeries 3 months or more into the future...and that is after the preliminary appointments! Disreputable ophthalmologists...that may be a different matter.

Old 08-24-2016, 06:53 AM

18,891 posts, read 8,873,507 times
Just a caution if you are a male in the same boat I'm in. If you are taking any prostate medication, particularly Flomax, but also others such as Cardura, make absolutely sure your ophthalmologist knows that. Cataract surgery if you've ever taken such drugs can result in a disaster due to "floppy iris". The newest lasers that have come in during just the last couple of years have apparently vastly reduced the number of surgeries that fail under those circumstances, but it can still be an issue. And note -- it doesn't matter if you are no longer on such drugs...if you ever took them the iris has been weakened...so just stopping the medication in advance of cataract surgery does no good at all.

Old 08-24-2016, 07:05 AM

433 posts, read 212,191 times
I will be 63 next month. Overall I feel great but noticed that I was having trouble reading anything that wasn't on my Kindle or iPad. I thought it was because I was overdue for an eye exam. My eyesight was very blurry when reading but fine for distance. When I scheduled my exam I was told I had cataracts but I didn't need surgery until my declining eyesight became a problem for me. If I wait two years Medicare will cover it but if I get to the point that I can't see well to drive I will suck it up and pay for it because I don't want to be a danger to others on the road.

My symptoms are blurred vision, declining night vision, and I feel I must wear my glasses for close work. Distance vision seems fine to me but my eye dr said that is worsening as well.

Old 08-24-2016, 07:15 AM

6,171 posts, read 4,952,891 times
I was diagnosed with a small cataract in each eye at age 30. Luckily it has remained dormant every since.

What is the surgery like? I am quite terrified of it because I struggle to even do the glaucoma test with the blue light probe every year at the eye doctor. I can't imagine laying there seeing someone sticking a scalpel or whatever in there.

Old 08-24-2016, 07:44 AM

1,204 posts, read 623,343 times
"the doctors these days seem to want to fill their Surgery Day with appointments."

phetarol -- That is a literary device known as Hyperbolic Exaggeration, often used in a discussion to make a point. Most of the time it is used in jest.

Those Eye Drops for Cataracts were developed in Russia ?? Oh Boy. I have another appointment with my Eye Doctor on 9/2, to discuss the options. I will ask about the Eye Drops.

Old 08-24-2016, 07:55 AM

11,686 posts, read 13,083,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
Just a caution if you are a male in the same boat I'm in. If you are taking any prostate medication, particularly Flomax, but also others such as Cardura, make absolutely sure your ophthalmologist knows that. Cataract surgery if you've ever taken such drugs can result in a disaster due to "floppy iris". The newest lasers that have come in during just the last couple of years have apparently vastly reduced the number of surgeries that fail under those circumstances, but it can still be an issue. And note -- it doesn't matter if you are no longer on such drugs...if you ever took them the iris has been weakened...so just stopping the medication in advance of cataract surgery does no good at all.
I will second this. If you have a history of using these drugs it can be a whole different ball game than the usual cataract surgery.

Old 08-24-2016, 08:02 AM

3,484 posts, read 2,535,855 times
Cataract surgery is bread and butter for Ophthalmic surgeons. They do hundreds a year---all of them.

Its their mainstay job, and they are all very very god at it. My wife had it done in 2006, and her recent check said everything is completely OK.

her insurance paid everything. Now if I could only get insurance to pay for another kind of transplant: tooth replacements.

Old 08-24-2016, 09:28 AM

13,151 posts, read 7,398,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrkliny View Post
Not everyone gets them. The prevalence is highly dependent on age. For those living to their 80s, the prevalence is about 65%.

Typically there would not be cataract surgery unless the vision is affected. The usual symptoms include blurry vision, poor night vision, halos, frequent changes in prescriptions.

Most are slow growing but sometimes the onset is rapid. I went from clear vision and a thorough eye exam to horrible blurry vision within a few months. I had a secondary, capsular cataract that went from unnoticeable to extremely poor blurry vision within a few weeks.
False. Everyone gets them if they live long enough. The only thing that prevents them is premature death, and for most people, that's not a desirable alternative. And vision eventually is affected negatively if a person has them for awhile. Source: I'm an an ophthalmic technician.

So no, OP, cataracts are not hereditary. They are usually age related. They can be accelerated by medication. In rare cases, babies can be born with them, and they can also be caused by trauma, like being hit in the eye very hard (ballplayers get them this way occasionally).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness