U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2010, 04:15 PM

2 posts, read 28,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kygman View Post
He could always have a reversal done.
We have thought about that but the expense it not in our budget. I tested negative but have still not had a cycle since early July. I will be seeing my doctor on the 15th. I'm thinking maybe it's just the change in life happening now It's all good though, we have 3 very healthy kids and I'm sure some day I will be blessed with beautiful grandchildren
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2012, 02:11 PM

1 posts, read 3,213 times
My husband had a vasectomy 16 month ago. I have been showing signs of pregnancy. He was all cleared three months after having it done. All clear. My sex drive went up a lot which for me wasn't normal. We did it 4 timeline an 8 hour period. Even he was wondering. When i finally brought up to him my concerns. He agreed with me. That he was wondering the somethings. We have three kids already and we can't do another. I've been using the bathroom a lot more, backahes, strange cravings, cervix swollen like my last pregnancy. Metallic taste, hot flashes and more. Theses symptoms started 1 1/2 weeks before my period was due. I've been cramping a lot which comes and goes. Not normal for me. I have 2 days before my period and i feel like its going to come but never does. Any ideas of what it might be would be great. Email me@ [email]grumplebee@gmail.com[/email] pregnancy test all said negative. Please help

Old 03-07-2012, 11:28 PM

9,719 posts, read 9,296,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mama#3 View Post
My husband had a vasectomy 16 month ago. I have been showing signs of pregnancy. He was all cleared three months after having it done. All clear. My sex drive went up a lot which for me wasn't normal. We did it 4 timeline an 8 hour period. Even he was wondering. When i finally brought up to him my concerns. He agreed with me. That he was wondering the somethings. We have three kids already and we can't do another. I've been using the bathroom a lot more, backahes, strange cravings, cervix swollen like my last pregnancy. Metallic taste, hot flashes and more. Theses symptoms started 1 1/2 weeks before my period was due. I've been cramping a lot which comes and goes. Not normal for me. I have 2 days before my period and i feel like its going to come but never does. Any ideas of what it might be would be great. Email me@ grumplebee@gmail.com pregnancy test all said negative. Please help
Wait and see if you miss your period. If you do, then a repeat pregnancy test is in order.

If you continue to have symptoms, see your gynecologist.

Old 04-13-2012, 09:48 AM

5 posts, read 12,647 times
Default Pregnancy after vasectomy

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmarie123 View Post
You should be tested at the 3 month, 6 month and 1 year mark because the vas-defrin (the tube that carries seman) is cut for a vasectomy. It can heal itself in time... this is rare. If after a year it hasn't healed then it probably won't (I used to be a lab tech who performed semenalysis).
I had a vasectomy shortly after our son was born, and had two subsequent follow up test at recommended interval and tested negative for sperm. Approximately 3 1/2 years later, my wife was pregnant. I asked my doctor for a retest, had two sperm count tests done immediately and the results were negative. My wife swear there was no infidelity. I want to believe her as I have been with her for over two decades, but how can I ignore the fact. This pregnancy was terminated due to her health, which she would likely not survive the pregnancy. I am searching for a reasonable explanation this pregnancy was not a result of infidelity. We spoke with a high risk pregnancy doctor, my primary doctor, vasectomy nurse, they all said it is not possible. But I did speak briefly with a lab tech regarding semen testing methods, she said there is a test using a centrifuge which is used to test infertile men trying to have a child. The tests I had, I believe are sperm count tests (I do not know what the difference is). Can you shed light on this subject, or the specific tests needed to get the absolute best answer on the sperm count. I need help, as it has been a year since the pregnancy was ended, and our family is falling apart. Thank you for all of your help!

Old 04-13-2012, 10:17 AM

3,518 posts, read 2,778,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by airmechanicla View Post
I had a vasectomy shortly after our son was born, and had two subsequent follow up test at recommended interval and tested negative for sperm. Approximately 3 1/2 years later, my wife was pregnant. I asked my doctor for a retest, had two sperm count tests done immediately and the results were negative. My wife swear there was no infidelity. I want to believe her as I have been with her for over two decades, but how can I ignore the fact. This pregnancy was terminated due to her health, which she would likely not survive the pregnancy. I am searching for a reasonable explanation this pregnancy was not a result of infidelity. We spoke with a high risk pregnancy doctor, my primary doctor, vasectomy nurse, they all said it is not possible. But I did speak briefly with a lab tech regarding semen testing methods, she said there is a test using a centrifuge which is used to test infertile men trying to have a child. The tests I had, I believe are sperm count tests (I do not know what the difference is). Can you shed light on this subject, or the specific tests needed to get the absolute best answer on the sperm count. I need help, as it has been a year since the pregnancy was ended, and our family is falling apart. Thank you for all of your help!
They may have been referring to centrifuging the sperm down to a small, concentrated volume to inject the semen sample directly into the uterus (IUI). This is done on any sample that comes in for an insemination, whether he has 2 million or 200 million. If a man comes in for a semen analysis and his count is very low, the sample is sometimes spun down to see if he has any sperm at all. But this might not have been done on yours since you were not attempting to get pregnant and the initial analysis may have been deemed low enough to constitute infertility.

You're still producing sperm, and even though most are unable to make it through, it's not uncommon for some sperm to make it through in your ejaculate. It takes about 100 sperm attempting to inseminate the egg to weaken the egg enough for one to get through. That's 100 that have to have happened to survive the harsh conditions of the uterus and happen to swim up the proper fallopian tube (as generally only one ovary releases an egg each cycle). It's possible, but statistically very unlikely. You should have had genetic testing done on the products of conception to determine paternity, but I'm guessing it's too late for that now.

Old 04-13-2012, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by carrieq75 View Post
I'm 33 and between my husband and I we have four children from previous marriages and one child together. He got"snipped" Dec. 2007, went for a check up and no swimmers, in March I found out I was pregnant at a routine urine analysis, I elected to have an abortion which was a very difficult decsion, my husband went back for another check-up and was assured he was sterile. And no I have not been with anyone but my husband. Then just last week I was late and took a pregnancy test and it was positive so now we are going through this horrific scene again. I think doctors need to emphasize that there are risks even if rare, it is NOT a position I would wish on anyone!!!!
Hi Carrieq75! I am so glad I found your post, I am in a very similar situation, except I am the husband. I had a vasectomy in Dec. 2007, had two sperm count at recommended intervals and tested negative. March 2011, we found out my wife was pregnant, I went back for two more sperm count, results were negative. We also spoke with a high risk pregnancy doctor, my primary doctor, the head nurse where I had my vasectomy and they all told me it is impossible for my wife to be pregnant with my test results. As you can imagine my reaction, my very faithful wife (as far as I know) swore there was no infidelity involved. I want to believe her, but the fact say differently, I have been scouring the internet looking for answers, for any other test methods that would would be more accurate than what was performed. With heavy hearts, we ended the pregnancy due to her health (It was unlikely she would have survived the pregnancy). Our family have been heavily strained since the pregnancy, I have been looking for factual ways to prove her innocence. I am sorry but hopeful to hear of your situation, that my wife may be innocent. A lab tech told me The Centrifuge Method is very accurate to check sperm count for infertility in men. You may want to ask your lab tech, I asked my doctor and he does not know about this, so have the lab tech call the doctor. I hope you and your husband make it through this, do not let the ignorance of some of our medical professionals break up your family. Good luck to you and your family!

Old 04-13-2012, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnexpectedError View Post
They may have been referring to centrifuging the sperm down to a small, concentrated volume to inject the semen sample directly into the uterus (IUI). This is done on any sample that comes in for an insemination, whether he has 2 million or 200 million. If a man comes in for a semen analysis and his count is very low, the sample is sometimes spun down to see if he has any sperm at all. But this might not have been done on yours since you were not attempting to get pregnant and the initial analysis may have been deemed low enough to constitute infertility.

You're still producing sperm, and even though most are unable to make it through, it's not uncommon for some sperm to make it through in your ejaculate. It takes about 100 sperm attempting to inseminate the egg to weaken the egg enough for one to get through. That's 100 that have to have happened to survive the harsh conditions of the uterus and happen to swim up the proper fallopian tube (as generally only one ovary releases an egg each cycle). It's possible, but statistically very unlikely. You should have had genetic testing done on the products of conception to determine paternity, but I'm guessing it's too late for that now.
It is true, the body is still producing sperm, but my vas deferens were cut during the procedure, so how can the sperm get through? Even if the sperms got through, why did the sperm count test came back negative? Does negative mean absolutely nothing, or does it mean that it is below a threashold to deemed fertile? If so, do you know what the threashold is? Are threashold different for all labs (My tests were done at Kaiser). Thanks for your post, and any information would be helpful.

Old 04-13-2012, 01:02 PM

Quote:
It is true, the body is still producing sperm, but my vas deferens were cut during the procedure, so how can the sperm get through? Even if the sperms got through, why did the sperm count test came back negative? Does negative mean absolutely nothing, or does it mean that it is below a threashold to deemed fertile? If so, do you know what the threashold is? Are threashold different for all labs (My tests were done at Kaiser). Thanks for your post, and any information would be helpful.
Different labs will have different standards. In our lab, anything below 20 million is abnormal but not necessarily sterile. I've heard others say less than 20 million is considered infertile. I think there is sometimes a breakdown of information between the patient and the cold results. They don't want to tell you "Yes, your vasectomy worked...mostly."

Most of the semen analyses I see are from couples trying to get pregnant, so I'm less familiar with typical analyses after a vasectomy. However, we did do one analysis on a man in a similar situation as yours. His girlfriend was pregnant despite the fact that he had had a vasectomy. The initial analysis showed no sperm, but when it was spun down and concentrated, he did have living sperm. It was still highly unlikely that the child was his, but not entirely impossible.

When you go in for a semen analysis, do they simply tell you that it was normal or do they give you specific details about the sample? I know different labs have different procedures, but in mine we look at one drop from the unconcentrated sample under a slide that has a grid in the center. If there are no sperm in the grid, there are less than 1 million total sperm but we then search the entire area outside the grid for any sperm living or dead. Sometimes, if necessary, we concentrate the sample and observe it on a larger slide. Perhaps the lab testing your sample is not as thorough?

Old 04-13-2012, 03:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnexpectedError View Post
Different labs will have different standards. In our lab, anything below 20 million is abnormal but not necessarily sterile. I've heard others say less than 20 million is considered infertile. I think there is sometimes a breakdown of information between the patient and the cold results. They don't want to tell you "Yes, your vasectomy worked...mostly."

Most of the semen analyses I see are from couples trying to get pregnant, so I'm less familiar with typical analyses after a vasectomy. However, we did do one analysis on a man in a similar situation as yours. His girlfriend was pregnant despite the fact that he had had a vasectomy. The initial analysis showed no sperm, but when it was spun down and concentrated, he did have living sperm. It was still highly unlikely that the child was his, but not entirely impossible.

When you go in for a semen analysis, do they simply tell you that it was normal or do they give you specific details about the sample? I know different labs have different procedures, but in mine we look at one drop from the unconcentrated sample under a slide that has a grid in the center. If there are no sperm in the grid, there are less than 1 million total sperm but we then search the entire area outside the grid for any sperm living or dead. Sometimes, if necessary, we concentrate the sample and observe it on a larger slide. Perhaps the lab testing your sample is not as thorough?
As I recall, they told me the results were negative, there were no numbers associated with the results. It appears beneficial to have my sample centrifuge spun to get a precise count, do you agree? Can you tell me what the proper testing procedure is called, so that I may request the order from my doctor. Also, is the name of the testing procedure universal for labs? For what ever it is worth, the tests were performed at Kaiser Northern California. Thank you so much for your help. I hope these posts will help others in similar situation.

Old 04-14-2012, 08:01 AM

Quote:
As I recall, they told me the results were negative, there were no numbers associated with the results. It appears beneficial to have my sample centrifuge spun to get a precise count, do you agree? Can you tell me what the proper testing procedure is called, so that I may request the order from my doctor. Also, is the name of the testing procedure universal for labs? For what ever it is worth, the tests were performed at Kaiser Northern California. Thank you so much for your help. I hope these posts will help others in similar situation.
Talk to your doctor about your situation, they will be able to instruct the lab of your wishes. You want to find out if your semen shows azoospermia (no sperm whatsoever) or oligospermia (low sperm count). Tell your doctor you want the sample to be spun down in a centrifuge and examined at a concentrated volume. I don't think there is a specific name for this procedure. They may or may not charge extra (my office does not) but if they do it should not be significantly more.

And remember, for the best results go two days without ejaculating before going in to have your analysis done.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness