U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2016, 08:50 AM

9,540 posts, read 4,306,225 times

Advertisements

Wear nose clips and stay out of warm ponds and lakes. Don't let fear control your life. You have more chance of getting killed in a car accident on the way to work than you ever have of contracting this amoeba.

If it wasn't for our 24/7 news, you probably never would have even heard about this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2016, 09:42 AM

1,661 posts, read 1,927,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiluvr1228 View Post
Wear nose clips and stay out of warm ponds and lakes. Don't let fear control your life. You have more chance of getting killed in a car accident on the way to work than you ever have of contracting this amoeba.

If it wasn't for our 24/7 news, you probably never would have even heard about this.
I have started wearing a nose clip in the shower and when using the kitchen sink.

Old 08-27-2016, 10:26 AM

9,540 posts, read 4,306,225 times
When using the kitchen sink? Are you serious? Sweetie, you need more help than you can get on CD. You need a psychologist. This is a completely irrational fear. Do you wear a crash helmet when driving? Knee & elbow pads when taking a walk?

Irrational fears are just that - irrational. But if you let this control your life you run the risk of becoming a complete shut-in. STOP watching the news, don't google anything about this.

Maybe this will put it into perspective:

"From 2001 to 2010, only 32 people in the United States were infected — a far cry from the 36,000 drowning deaths recorded in the 10-year span from 1996 and 2005, according to the CDC. The freshwater killer doesn’t even like humans, Gulick said — it only attacks people when it’s forced up the nose."

So swim only in chlorinated pools and if you use a neti pot, use distilled or sterilized water. You're not going to get it in the shower. I assume if you are on well water you have something that treats your water?

Old 08-28-2016, 06:11 AM

70,427 posts, read 81,294,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by waviking24 View Post
So I'm paranoid because I don't want to give a deadly organism the chance to take hold and infect me?
For some reason I almost think you are just playing with us: I can't imagine anyone really worrying about this when we have serious problems to be concerned about.

Old 08-28-2016, 07:03 AM

9,460 posts, read 6,643,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by waviking24 View Post
This is probably the scariest disease I've ever heard of. It goes up through the nose and attacks the brain and it lives in lakes, rivers, wells and even water heaters!!! I haven't washed my face or let water touch my head or nose since I first heard of it.
It's a horrifying thought, for sure, but it is also a very rare occurrence. The cases of amebic encephalitis I have read about occurred in people who had been swimming in freshwater lakes where the bottom mud had been stirred up and the water likely got up the nose and infected the person that way.

It's probably even more rare in well or tap water, but even so, it's not recommended to use a neti pot with tap or well water to clear out the sinuses, and its a no-no, just in case, to make contact lens solution with tap water, or avoid prolonged contact of the lenses with tap water.

I'd say if you take those precautions, avoid swimming in freshwater lakes or at least wear noseplugs if you do, avoid using tap water in your neti pot ( or don't use one) or in your contact len solution or cleaner, your odds of getting amebic encephalitis are even less than the rare occurrences they talk about.

IMO there is a whole lot of other stuff more likely to happen to you.

Amebic Meningoencephalitis: Background, Prognosis, Etiology

Old 08-28-2016, 07:29 AM

1,644 posts, read 2,035,306 times
There are a million things that can get you and cause your demise. When it is your time, it is your time. Stop worrying and enjoy life.

Old 08-30-2016, 07:21 PM

6,488 posts, read 6,753,077 times
Whatever you do don't go hanging around the Amazon basin where the dreaded Candiru fish lives. Men urinating in the water invite it to swim up the urethra and it's the devil to remove.

Old 02-08-2019, 12:04 AM

1 posts, read 78 times
I’m terrified too. I freaked out when I got glue on hands and itches inside of nose because they use untreated well water to make it and I automatic thought of the brain eating amoeba . Just by picking or itching inside of nose

Old 02-08-2019, 10:52 AM

5,066 posts, read 6,124,296 times
From Live Science:

Infection with this brain-eating amoeba is very rare.

From 2006 to 2015, there were just 37 cases ofNaegleria fowleri infection in the United States, even though millions of people go swimming each year, according to the CDC. For comparison, there were 34,000 drowning deaths from 2001 to 2010.

https://www.livescience.com/55158-br...eba-facts.html

There are a bunch of other more common maladies you could be scared of too.

Old 02-08-2019, 01:46 PM

635 posts, read 169,196 times
Disease carrying ticks are far more worrisome and very common where I live. And we dont have tests for all the different strains and different diseases.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness