U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2019, 02:01 PM

2,913 posts, read 1,995,895 times

Advertisements

don't let your kids play in a sand box either, my son was infected with Toxicara Canus after playing in a public sand box and has had brain damage and seizures all his life since then, as well as it affecting his thinking.
Lots of dangers out there people just don't think about.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2019, 09:33 PM

8,445 posts, read 5,766,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by waviking24 View Post
This is probably the scariest disease I've ever heard of. It goes up through the nose and attacks the brain and it lives in lakes, rivers, wells and even water heaters!!! I haven't washed my face or let water touch my head or nose since I first heard of it.
I'm more worried about AOC but that is another forum

There have been 143 instances in the USA since 1962. All but 4 died.

Scary, but as about as rare as any disease can be

Several instances have been because of Neti pots.

Old 02-09-2019, 01:08 AM

5,427 posts, read 2,101,263 times
Life is full of hazards no matter what you do, no matter where you live, who you are. You can live in fear of everything regardless how remote the chances some specific bad thing hits you are, or you can learn to manage the more ordinary risks you actually do have some control over and learn to leave the rest alone. Living in fear of every possibility is no way to live. Might as well go down in the basement and never come out. Except, there are risks to living in basements too.

Old 02-09-2019, 11:28 AM

1,247 posts, read 371,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by waviking24 View Post
So I'm paranoid because I don't want to give a deadly organism the chance to take hold and infect me?
No, it’s paranoid because you’re excessively worried (by your own admission it has affected your lifestyle) about something that is very rare. Without looking, I feel comfortable saying you have a better chance of dying from the flu or a car accident than dying from brain eating amoeba, yet you are adjusting your behavior based on that one fear.

Old 02-09-2019, 12:22 PM

5,176 posts, read 6,406,183 times
I live in Texas, in a lake community, and I won't swim in the lake. Everybody else here does it, but I just don't feel comfortable with it. Bacteria (and amoebas) thrive in warm, stagnant fresh water, so Texas is a hotbed. I admittedly don't know anyone who has contracted the amoeba. But I did have a doctor friend tell me that a lot more people are probably sickened by the lake water than realize. A lot of people think they are sick because of something they ate or whatever, when in fact it is probably something they contracted from the lake. This was a local doctor, BTW. My BIL, who often skis on the lake, was sick for about six weeks with a horrible stomach ailment. To say it was unpleasant is an understatement. His doctor said it was probably a bacteria he contracted from the lake. The doctor also said he sees it all the time. No thanks.

Old 02-09-2019, 12:45 PM

22,162 posts, read 18,677,658 times
Maybe the OP did get the brain eating amoeba! Hasn't posted since 2016. Maybe they finally took a shower and there was nothing left of them!

It's amazing how so many of us grew up not wearing helmets, pads, no nose or ear plugs ate dirt and we survived!! Moms just used to lick their fingers or thumb to wipe a boo boo! What a filthy thing to do!

I live a couple of miles away from Warm Mineral Springs. I worry more about gators than amoebas!

I think it was a troll. I got a good chuckle though.

Old 02-09-2019, 01:58 PM

1,247 posts, read 371,676 times
^^ Ha! Very astute of you. I hate when I get pulled into old dead threads. Good catch.

Old 02-10-2019, 12:13 PM

8,445 posts, read 5,766,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeachSalsa View Post
The amoeba won't get you.

But the tick bite might....

Or the mosquito bites....

Or the raccoon roundworm....

Or the bat rabies.....

Or the drunk driver....

Or the texting driver, for that matter.

Now go take a shower. It's time.
Don't drive across railroad tracks...In fact. don't drive, period!

By the way, dont walk. A flower pot might fall off a ledge and hit you in the head!

These events occur more often than brain eating amoeba!!

Old Today, 03:07 PM

3,400 posts, read 942,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
Well, that's pretty (very, very, very....) low on my list of things to worry about.
Mine too, but it still makes the list.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness