Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2016, 04:14 PM
eok

6,684 posts, read 4,250,645 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelassie View Post
they are talking about blood pressures taken at rest under normal comfortable conditions, not at different temperatures ...
What is the normal temperature to measure blood pressure? If it's 210/120 at 65F and 110/65 at 85F, does that imply it should be measured at 85F? Or should it always be the same temperature for everyone, and ignore any readings at other temperatures?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2016, 04:54 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,446,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
The regular dosing would probably be fine for anyone NOT taking BP meds..but I was adding it and already on BP meds, hence the lowered pulse rate/fatigue. I realized right away as I was like falling asleep during mid day.
That makes sense. They start you off with four with the Mukta Vati. I remember thinking it sounded like a lot but I wasn't on any other BP meds so it turned out not to be a problem. But in case someone I may recommend it to happens to still be taking their RX BP as you were, it's a good thing to tell them this could happen.

I don't like to recommend something unless I know all the possibilities of side effects.

Old 08-28-2016, 05:15 PM

6,141 posts, read 3,372,422 times
People with high Blood Pressure are born with that predisposition...All anyone has to look at their parents and grand parents history to realize what "Dogs" their Family!! That is WHY, preventive medicine is so valuable..Having genetic pre-disposition to certain things gives a HUUGE clue to what's lying ahead of you.

IF HC is at a premium for folks..there's very little one can do. Avoiding those pesky things that aggravate whatever the history exposes. Meanwhile..lifstyle and excesses of anything is well known as likely a predetermined path... Family history for us up in Igloo Country LOL (Canada) has been part and parcel of our HC coverages for like maybe 40 years+.. Lying about your history is NOT helpful..so you get advice accordingly!!

I was adopted..but working in the HC Industry..I knew I had to be upfront about symptoms and family history as I knew of it..but then again..as an educated HC Provider..I also knew what each and every symptom suggested..SO reported accordingly... My kids NEED to know just what could affect them in their adult life too!!

High Blood pressure was not a constant for me..but after one episode..and Treadmill Rule Out Cardiac Issue..I learned a lot... HP for myself was NOT a familial thing..however..workplace pressure and family stressors can still directly affect one's basic biological symptom.. Live and learn..learn to adjust..make sure you understand that cause and affects..tools are available..whether it's diet, sleep, workplace stress or just plain lack of self-care and good HC advice! Most things can be treated shorter with meds..and folks need to get educated on becoming more active and eat a well balanced diet for their individual demands.

BP is just ONE symptom..the totality of one's historical genetic pre-disposition along with their lifestyle MUST be considered!!

Old 08-28-2016, 06:12 PM

5,644 posts, read 13,227,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FiveLoaves View Post
I will say this -- High Blood Pressure is nothing to fool around with. They call it the Silent Killer for a reason.

My lower number (diastolic, heart at rest) was always high. My readings used to cause panic among the nurses who took BP Measurements on me.....it was often over 100. My Doctor down here described what happens when the Blood Vessel bursts and it was not a pretty picture. He told tales of folks being dead before they hit the floor.

He prescribed Atorvastatin, the generic Lipitor. The low initial dose brought my readings down to the Normal Range within a month and they have remained there ever since. I've experienced ZERO side effects on this drug. The Generic is available thru the mail from Express Scripts at $21 for a 90-day supply.

You can take all the esoteric combinations and formulations in the Vitamin Shoppe catalog, you can exercise til your sneakers fall off, you can modify your diet until you're only eating tofu and hickory nuts......but I my opinion the prescribed generic got results.
As Travelassie pointed out, you must be on some other combo or med that lowered your blood pressure...

Atorvastatin will not lower blood pressure....

Old 08-28-2016, 06:15 PM

29,266 posts, read 16,749,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minervah View Post
That makes sense. They start you off with four with the Mukta Vati. I remember thinking it sounded like a lot but I wasn't on any other BP meds so it turned out not to be a problem. But in case someone I may recommend it to happens to still be taking their RX BP as you were, it's a good thing to tell them this could happen.

I don't like to recommend something unless I know all the possibilities of side effects.
On the Mukta Vati product, I remember buying some yrs ago before I got on the BP meds. This is before I ever knew about the product from India via Amazon. The product from the U.S. was so pricey that I used it sparingly and it wasn't working. So now I order and get mine from India and I've had 2 orders and they arrived ontime and good condition and MUCH much less $$$. Makes me wonder if I had the product from India yrs ago and used as directed would I be on drugs today.

Old 08-28-2016, 11:52 PM

6,438 posts, read 6,917,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eok View Post
What is the normal temperature to measure blood pressure? If it's 210/120 at 65F and 110/65 at 85F, does that imply it should be measured at 85F? Or should it always be the same temperature for everyone, and ignore any readings at other temperatures?
The temperature of a doc's office, about 70F. But if your BP is 210/120 (dangerously high) at 65F and 110/65 (perfect) at 85F, there is something wrong with you. Those kinds of fluctuations aren't normal.

Old 08-29-2016, 05:50 AM
eok

6,684 posts, read 4,250,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Siegel View Post
The temperature of a doc's office, about 70F. But if your BP is 210/120 (dangerously high) at 65F and 110/65 (perfect) at 85F, there is something wrong with you. Those kinds of fluctuations aren't normal.
By "aren't normal" do you mean nobody else ever had such fluctuations? Or do you mean the fluctuations imply some kind of rare disease? Such as what?

Old 08-29-2016, 06:20 AM

14,949 posts, read 12,143,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eok View Post
The point is when blood pressure readings, or any other measurements are taken for statistical purposes, or to establish normal ranges, it is important to standardize as much as possible the conditions under which those measurements are made. Everyone knows blood pressure readings are variable, depending on environmental and other conditions, so taking blood pressures under resting conditions, at ambient temperatures as much as possible, is an attempt to minimize the effect of those variables.

I would imagine blood pressure would be higher at the higher temperature, at elevated temperatures (or when the patient has a fever), the body attempts to cool itself down by raising the heartrate, and bringing more blood to the capillaries to facilitate sweating.

You can measure your blood pressure under any and every scenario you can imagine, and obtain a plethora of readings ranging from within normal ranges or slightly elevated to readings so elevated you wonder why you don't have a stroke. But depending on what you were doing at the time you got those readings, you may not know if those higher readings are pathological or just normal responses to physiological stress.

Old 08-29-2016, 06:24 AM

14,949 posts, read 12,143,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Siegel View Post
They used to call such variations "labile hypertension". They said it was a precursor to hypertension.

Old 08-29-2016, 07:52 AM

5,328 posts, read 6,018,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelassie View Post
The point is when blood pressure readings, or any other measurements are taken for statistical purposes, or to establish normal ranges, it is important to standardize as much as possible the conditions under which those measurements are made. Everyone knows blood pressure readings are variable, depending on environmental and other conditions, so taking blood pressures under resting conditions, at ambient temperatures as much as possible, is an attempt to minimize the effect of those variables.

I would imagine blood pressure would be higher at the higher temperature, at elevated temperatures (or when the patient has a fever), the body attempts to cool itself down by raising the heartrate, and bringing more blood to the capillaries to facilitate sweating.

You can measure your blood pressure under any and every scenario you can imagine, and obtain a plethora of readings ranging from within normal ranges or slightly elevated to readings so elevated you wonder why you don't have a stroke. But depending on what you were doing at the time you got those readings, you may not know if those higher readings are pathological or just normal responses to physiological stress.
Blood pressure would actually be lower at higher temperatures because of vasodilation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness