Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2008, 07:29 PM

2,110 posts, read 6,955,436 times

Advertisements

I have had my implants for a little over 11 years now, and have never, ever had a problem. However, I would like to get them taken out now, as I am tired of the big boob thing. I want to be au natural now.

There is a lot to think about when getting them removed. Whether you choose to get another set of implants or just have them removed and get a breast lift, it is still surgery, and there are risks to any kind of surgery. Before anyone makes a decision on it you need to carefully weigh the good and the bad. I have known people that have had awful results and one person had the implants relpaced 3 times!! I would have not went through that myself, if it didnt work the first time, then I wont bother. I think people forget that the implant does at sometime need to come out too. So providing that you have successful implants, meaning you dont need to replace one or both due to a number of things that can develop, you will need 2 surgerys. That is costly, and then the risks both times.

I would never tell anyone to not get them, something like this can only be decided on the person who is getting the implants. I would just tell people to please take your time and find an excellent Doctor, and be aware of the risks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2008, 08:36 AM

2,690 posts, read 4,218,086 times
Just another thing to consider in these uncertain economic times....you may feel affluent enough now to be able to afford this surgery. What about 10 years from now? Suppose you lose your job right around the time your implants need replacement or removal? What then?

If it were me, I'd take the money that you're considering spending on new boobs and put it in a 401K or IRA or something.

Old 02-23-2008, 09:25 AM

1,627 posts, read 6,502,387 times
Suzet,
Have you looked at explantation.com? There are many many women there who have had excellent results with removal and no reimplantation. They also have a great list of PSs who do a lot of explants, which is important. A lift is not always necessary, despite what you might think!

Yes, I was really stupid in my youth and had implants. I had them for 19 years and never had any problems. I was one of the lucky ones--no cc, no rupture, no health issues (that I know of). However, once the internet existed (which it didn't when I got them) and I started doing more research, I realized I was playing Russian Roulette and wanted them out. Plus, I just don't think big boobs are attractive. Anyway, I had them removed, no lift, and they look GREAT. I was shocked. I totally expected to need a lift but my PS said he felt I did not need one and he was right. I had nursed 2 children with them in.

Old 02-24-2008, 01:19 AM

2,296 posts, read 6,282,515 times
Wait a minute. You posted on my plastic surgery thread that looks are not that important. What is that all about?? What a total hypocrite you are!!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by frogandtoad View Post
Suzet,
Have you looked at explantation.com? There are many many women there who have had excellent results with removal and no reimplantation. They also have a great list of PSs who do a lot of explants, which is important. A lift is not always necessary, despite what you might think!

Yes, I was really stupid in my youth and had implants. I had them for 19 years and never had any problems. I was one of the lucky ones--no cc, no rupture, no health issues (that I know of). However, once the internet existed (which it didn't when I got them) and I started doing more research, I realized I was playing Russian Roulette and wanted them out. Plus, I just don't think big boobs are attractive. Anyway, I had them removed, no lift, and they look GREAT. I was shocked. I totally expected to need a lift but my PS said he felt I did not need one and he was right. I had nursed 2 children with them in.

Old 02-24-2008, 08:53 AM

1,627 posts, read 6,502,387 times
You can call me a hypocrite if you want. I am very honest about mistakes I made. When I was 20 I made a huge mistake. I had low self esteem, and I got implants. At no point have I tried to hide anything or make myself seem like I am not someone who has made mistakes. All I try to say is that they were that--mistakes, and if someone can avoid them, all the better for them.

I spent years, and many many appointments with plastic surgeons talking to them about getting my implants removed. I understood by about age 22 that what I had done was really shallow and was b/c of insecurities. I moved to Africa at 24 and felt enormous guilt about what I had done....about placing emphasis on something so shallow. I do not absolve myself from that at all. One PS after another told me the dangers of surgery were too high to remove them. Luckily the www now exists, and I was able to find a site which helps women in the situation I was in, I ofund a great PS who knew how to do it and did not try telling me I couldn't do it w/o great risk.

I took them out, I did not get a lift. I just took them out and was finally able to say that my beliefs were in line with my actions. If you don't agree, that's fine. If even one person can learn from my mistake, it's worth it. I truly believe what I said in that post. I hated my implants for all the reasons I said--I felt awful that I had spent money on something so superficial and I also felt so dumb to have cared about the size of my boobs, but what was done was done. I knew I could hardly speak out about it when I had implants, but once I had them removed I felt like I could speak out.

I'm sorry if you think I'm a hypocrite. All I can say is that I am open about my history and I believe it's a huge mistake and means priorities were wrong and we have too much time and money to be worried about something like that. That was the case for me--I admit that freely. I have a much different perspective on life now, particularly having lived in Africa. I hope others can put things in perspective and get more self-confidence before they cut into themselves and put their health at risk, etc.

I am only trying to help. Not trying to say I"m perfect.

I said this on the other post as well, but I am only trying to help here. I do not find my position to be hypocritical. Is it hypocritical for an ex-drug addict to speak out against drugs? For an ex-smoker to speak out against smoking? Sometimes we gain perspective on things after we've done them and not before. I did not speak out against it while I had implants--only after. I apologize if you felt I was misleading. I was just not comfortable talking about this subject online initially, but thought I might be able to help the OP here, so I went ahead and put more info. about my past out there.

Last edited by frogandtoad; 02-24-2008 at 09:39 AM..

Old 02-24-2008, 10:13 AM

8,231 posts, read 17,312,752 times
Alot of people are throwing out their plastic water bottles and not microwaving in plastic containers because of studies that have found 'leaching' of unsafe chemicals into your food (and the possibility of those chemicals being carcinogens). Aren't implants encased in plastic? Personally, I don't any unessential chemicals living inside my body (unless absolutely necessary, like a pacemaker). My opinion- everyone should have the right to do what they want....just don't use my tax money to get them or remove them!

Old 02-24-2008, 10:18 AM

10,757 posts, read 35,426,246 times
There is a program on Discovery health that shows alot of the problems you can have AND the doctors on there say that you have to have them replaced after a certain number of years.

I have a neighbor who has had to have a repair because one of her saline implants burst. You hear all the time about them getting displaced. The more surgery you do in the area, the more scar tissue, the harder it is to revise the area.

Frequently Asked Questions: Breast Augmentation and Breast Implants (FAQs)

Please think long and hard before you change your body in this way.

Old 02-25-2009, 09:40 AM

1 posts, read 2,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wcaamyg View Post
What are your thoughts or what is your knowledge regarding long-term risks for breast implants? I'm not as worried about the initial surgery, but I'm concerned about any potential serious health problems later on (not including possible additional surgery to "fix" a deflated implant, etc)
I have been researching this topis for a very long time. a few of my friends have breast implants and their results vary acorss the board. Which is why I have been so careful in researching this. There is one place I found a lot of information that seems to be somewhat unbiased is this website Plastic Surgery Toronto - Breast Augmentation and Tummy Tuck Plastic Surgeon. there he explains teh differences between different types of implants and the pros and cons. Its also dependent on the body type too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness