Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-12-2016, 07:26 PM

14,928 posts, read 12,126,747 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Oh, one more surprising thing that I just recalled.

I went to bed one night, feeling totally normal.

Just for the record, by the way, I have never had any sort of big issue with cavities or fillings.

OK, sound asleep, thinking life was good. Suddenly, out of the blue, at about 4 am, I woke up to a toothache that was UNBELIEVABLE. Part of my disbelief stemmed from the fact that I had had ZERO hint that any of this was about to descend on me.

Anyway, by 5 am, I was on my hands and knees in the bed, rocking back and forth and begging my husband to bring me some pliers. And I swear, if he had, I would have yanked that tooth out myself.

By 6 am - the longest two hours of my life - my husband said, "I'm going to call the emergency number at our dentist's office and leave a message with the answering service to see if we can get you in first thing." He did, and to our surprise, our dentist called us back immediately.

He said, "How fast can you get to the office?" My husband said, "Fifteen minutes." The dentist said, "I'll meet you there. Don't let her near any pliers."

I was in the chair by 6:30. That was the first time in my life that a shot of novacain actually felt GOOD. I was begging for more shots, more shots! They did a root canal and surprisingly, compared to the original pain, it felt almost good too!

My dentist told me that he always responds quickly in this sort of scenario because he knows how terrible the pain is. You know, I had always seen pictures of people "back in the day," with a big rag tied around their head, or the side of their face all swollen up, talking about a "toothache" but until I actually had one, I had no idea it could be so bad!
I'm chuckling at your comments about the pliers. I had an abscess under a molar that caused a pain that bad. Naturally it came on me as I was en route from Florida to visit some family in PA. The pain was so bad the morning after I arrived my mother called her dentist to see if he could check it out, and I ended up with an antibiotic, directions for pain control and a root canal-a few days later when the endodontist ( the dentist's dad) got back from his trip. I called it my souvenier root canal.

This and your other post about your varied experiences with pain lends support, I think, to my idea that the intensity of pain from various causes really is not comparable, each is intense in its own way, so you'd be hard pressed to say which is the worst.

And it sounds as though you have had some doozies in your day!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2016, 07:37 PM

2,700 posts, read 4,936,320 times
I was going to say when I had my thumb cut off... But thinking about it, there really wasn't any pain.....

Then I thought Heart Surgery but I really was too young to experience the pain (3 years old)...

And then I was going to say when I had my arm broken and the bone stuck out of my arm in 2 places... And then was broken by the doctor 3 more times to set right.... Although thinking about that it was painful and it wasn't....

So I am going to say getting kicked in the groin so hard that I immediately sat down and couldn't breathe or swallow and couldn't feel my testicles as they had gone up inside my *******.... My whole lower half felt like it was on fire and at the same time had dry ice being shoved into my *******... While a crocodile continued to bit at my groin.....

Old 09-12-2016, 08:31 PM

18,547 posts, read 15,572,959 times
Food poisoning as a kid. Impossible to sleep...

Old 09-12-2016, 09:08 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,853,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelassie View Post
I'm chuckling at your comments about the pliers. I had an abscess under a molar that caused a pain that bad. Naturally it came on me as I was en route from Florida to visit some family in PA. The pain was so bad the morning after I arrived my mother called her dentist to see if he could check it out, and I ended up with an antibiotic, directions for pain control and a root canal-a few days later when the endodontist ( the dentist's dad) got back from his trip. I called it my souvenier root canal.

This and your other post about your varied experiences with pain lends support, I think, to my idea that the intensity of pain from various causes really is not comparable, each is intense in its own way, so you'd be hard pressed to say which is the worst.

And it sounds as though you have had some doozies in your day!
Girl, I have. And I feel your pain with that abscessed tooth. It doesn't sound so serious - till it's happening to you and you feel like you are turning into a werewolf or something!!!!!!!

Old 09-12-2016, 09:10 PM

2,648 posts, read 2,313,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlotteborn View Post
Gall bladder attack. It was intense and awful.
omg, yes.. I've had 3 so far, each one worse than the last.

Old 09-12-2016, 09:28 PM

4,490 posts, read 4,978,388 times
My insurance was to expire soon. ..I had 2 root canals done at once. My jaw was propped open for 2 hours. The shots numbed my gums but after awhile my jaw locked up, causing so much pain and stress for me..the dentist and nurse felt sorry for me because I was sobbing and asking for breaks every 20 minutes.
I will never forget the pain and anxiety.

Old 09-12-2016, 10:49 PM

15,700 posts, read 17,036,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweet Like Sugar View Post
I'm glad you survived, but I just think there has to be something else that they could do in that situation. I know that I could never tolerate anyone doing that to me, so what are they going to do if the patient is uncooperative? Hold you down and do it anyway?
I was born in 1953, I was breach.

The doctor reached inside my mother to turn me around and eventually pulled me out by the head with forceps. {My first pic I had two giant bumps on each side of my head.}

Anyway, during all of this my mother tried to get up off the table......and the doctor slapped her across the face.

It's a miracle I have a younger brother.

Old 09-12-2016, 11:15 PM

9,446 posts, read 6,572,039 times
NK, that's A LOT for one person!

Old 09-13-2016, 12:02 AM

14,078 posts, read 16,601,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie53 View Post
I was born in 1953, I was breach.

The doctor reached inside my mother to turn me around and eventually pulled me out by the head with forceps. {My first pic I had two giant bumps on each side of my head.}

Anyway, during all of this my mother tried to get up off the table......and the doctor slapped her across the face.

It's a miracle I have a younger brother.
How horrible for your mother.

Old 09-13-2016, 12:14 AM

3,067 posts, read 1,679,170 times
Possibly a back cramp that hit me suddenly about 5 years ago. It got worse until I had to call an ambulance because it started to scare the heebie-jeebies out of me, and in the hospital I began to think I was in the throes of a heart-attack. The pressure in my chest got worse, and no amount of morphine drip was even touching the back pain.

I asked for a antacid cocktail, which caused my chest pressure/pain to subside, but the back cramp was still there. Finally, after the failure of Advil and morphine, I was given a shot of muscle-relaxant, and within 10 minutes I was out and the pain was gone.

I still don't know what happened to cause it but I hope I NEVER have that again!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness