Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2016, 11:33 PM

14,078 posts, read 16,601,291 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
I guess death would have been a more acceptable choice for you. Gotcha. Or heading all the drama off at the pass by choosing simply to never have a baby.

Neither of those options are acceptable to me when the other alternatives are life, and children.
Once again- your body, your choices. My body, my choices.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2016, 12:22 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,853,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweet Like Sugar View Post
Once again- your body, your choices. My body, my choices.
Of course, but I wasn't responding to that sentiment. I was responding to your comments regarding how OTHERS should act, not how you choose to act.

Old 09-14-2016, 12:46 AM

5,151 posts, read 4,524,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nazz View Post
Severed achille's tendon. (And I was misdiagnosed at first due to swelling.)

Happened in karate class. Teacher told me to get up and suck it up!
Oh, crap, I feel your pain, literally...mine is torn (happened on New Year's Day, Happy New Year to me!) not severed, thank goodness, & I'm still shuffling around in pain.

I really, really miss taking long walks & hiking...

Last edited by MarciaMarshaMarcia; 09-14-2016 at 12:56 AM..

Old 09-14-2016, 01:20 AM

5,151 posts, read 4,524,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevxu View Post
I woke up during spine surgery, and asked rather aggressively,"What are doing?" I heard someone shout, "He's awake!" And then my surgeon shouted for more anesthetic and I went to sleep. Wasn't really scary at the moment, just very puzzling and annoying.
I wonder, does this happen to a lot of people? When my wrist was fractured, the bones were pulverized...surgery included an external fixator drilled into 3 places, a metal plate, removal of the carpal nerve...it was a 3 hour surgery...I remember waking up in the middle of it, looking at my hand hanging in some contraption, seeing the green walls & bright lights, hearing the music they were playing, & hearing someone saying "She's awake!". Then I was out again.

I worked at the hospital where I had the surgery, so I knew the orthopedic surgeon...I asked him if all that had really happened, had I actually started to come out of the anesthesia...he said that, yes, due to the length of time, I was starting to regain consciousness.

Old 09-14-2016, 03:13 AM

14,078 posts, read 16,601,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Of course, but I wasn't responding to that sentiment. I was responding to your comments regarding how OTHERS should act, not how you choose to act.
I never said how others should act. I said you (meaning anyone) do not have to allow doctors to do things to you that make you uncomfortable and that you can request sedation even if it isn't normally offered. If you don't feel like that applies to your particular experiences, fine. Maybe your pain was unavoidable, but that isn't the case for everyone.

Old 09-14-2016, 03:21 AM

8,869 posts, read 16,311,226 times
In the short term, a bout of bursitis I had in my hip. The pain was overwhelming. I couldn't stand, sit, or lie down with any amount of comfort. I couldn't sleep without strong pain killers. I was on crutches for several weeks. But I would still trade that one incident for my history of migraine headaches. Debilitating and constantly recurring. I had them for years and they were impervious to any medication. They only went away after I experienced menopause, which leads me to believe that they were, as I always suspected, estrogen-related.

Old 09-14-2016, 05:36 AM

17,156 posts, read 12,951,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarciaMarshaMarcia View Post
I wonder, does this happen to a lot of people? When my wrist was fractured, the bones were pulverized...surgery included an external fixator drilled into 3 places, a metal plate, removal of the carpal nerve...it was a 3 hour surgery...I remember waking up in the middle of it, looking at my hand hanging in some contraption, seeing the green walls & bright lights, hearing the music they were playing, & hearing someone saying "She's awake!". Then I was out again.

I worked at the hospital where I had the surgery, so I knew the orthopedic surgeon...I asked him if all that had really happened, had I actually started to come out of the anesthesia...he said that, yes, due to the length of time, I was starting to regain consciousness.
Ah yes, the orthopedic surgeon. I joked with him that I have had so much orthopedic surgery that I have paid for his three children's college educations single handedly. I have what is know as "benign hypermobility syndrome," in which the joints and cartilage are abnormally flexible. But it's not as benign as it sounds. This condition has led to a lot of bone and joint issues and I have had several orthopedic surgeries, breaks, and bracing for various injuries: a shoulder arthroscopy procedure in each shoulder for repeated dislocations, a left knee arthroscopy for torn meniscus, a bad broken arm at the elbow, a stress fracture of the tibia, and a twisted break of the finger which required pins and screws. Now my left shoulder anchors have dislodged, leading to more dislocation problems, and the surgeon is having to repeat the shoulder repair and also do a capsular shrinkage procedure, so I will have to do the surgery and many weeks of physical therapy all over again. That's a lot of pain that doesn't subside for a long time.

Old 09-14-2016, 06:07 AM

14,928 posts, read 12,126,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jellybean50 View Post
I sat with someone when they had bone marrow removed from their back (for a test) with a huge, long, twisted needed. The doctor had to climb a stool with steps on it to get on top of him to screw in the needle. He gave him some type of "numbing" shot in the muscle part of his back - but NOTHING that went any deeper. They had a nurse holding his hands near his head on the pillow. He cant discuss it to this day, and it's been over 15 yrs ago. No one should have to endure such pain.
I have never had that done but I worked in hematology oncology setting ( mostly pediatric) for a number of years and saw bone marrow biopsies done in the posterior iliac crest ( as you describe) and I know, from the reactions of patients, how painful it must be. It's bone pain, pain from coring the marrow cavity through the bone, and the only relatively merciful part of it might be that it's pretty quick in the hands of a skilled practitioner. I know with the kids where I worked they used local anesthetic injections but those only numb the skin, not the bone so much. They would often sedate the kid with benedryl, ( other sedatives, don't know what they were, though) to take the edge off, but sometimes such sedatives have the opposite effects on some kids and you can't predict which kids will get wild with sedation so they were a bit reluctant to sedate a new patient they didn't have a history about. They tended to try and coordinate bone marrow biopsies with surgical procedures ( insertion of a PIC line for chemotherapy, for example) so the kid would be anesthetized for the biopsy. That was quite a few years ago, hopefully they have more or better options for pain management during such procedures.

And now that this trip down memory lane has gotten me thinking about those kids, I also have to remember how inspiring it was to see these little guys' bravery and stoicism, and their determination to just be kids in the face of the diagnoses of cancer, or chronic serious hematologic conditions, and all the painful or just miserable procedures, chemotherapy and hospitalizations
that went to fight those diagnoses. Taught us all so many valuable lessons and put a perspective on life like nothing else I have ever experienced.

Old 09-14-2016, 07:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarciaMarshaMarcia View Post
Oh, crap, I feel your pain, literally...mine is torn (happened on New Year's Day, Happy New Year to me!) not severed, thank goodness, & I'm still shuffling around in pain.

I really, really miss taking long walks & hiking...
I took a fairly common antibiotic which destroyed both my Achilles tendons, and I had to have them both surgically repaired. Painful (but thankfully not as painful as some of the other things I've mentioned). The issue with this whole ordeal was the LENGTH OF TIME it takes to recover from Achilles tendon injuries - it can take up to a year to reach full recovery. And lots and lots of physical therapy.

But if it helps, I'll tell you that I went hiking in the Alps 8 months after surgery. I did have to pace myself but I did it.

One thing to watch out for in the future is forgetting to stretch out and do your ROM exercises, basically for the rest of your life, because if you don't continue this, you will be much more prone to developing plantar fasciitis, which in my experience was more painful than the actual AT injury and surgery.

Good luck!

You didn't take any fluorquinolone antibiotics did you - Cipro, Levaquin, Ciloxan, Avilox, Noroxin, Chibroxin, Ofloxacin, etc)? If so, you may be one of the lucky ones, like me, who develop tendon damage afterwards. See articles below:

FDA Drug Safety Communication: FDA advises restricting fluoroquinolone antibiotic use for certain uncomplicated infections; warns about disabling side effects that can occur together

Fluoroquinolone Antibiotics Linked to Serious Nerve Damage

Old 09-14-2016, 07:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweet Like Sugar View Post
I never said how others should act. I said you (meaning anyone) do not have to allow doctors to do things to you that make you uncomfortable and that you can request sedation even if it isn't normally offered. If you don't feel like that applies to your particular experiences, fine. Maybe your pain was unavoidable, but that isn't the case for everyone.
Some pain is unavoidable in many medical procedures, including but not limited to emergency situations. Of COURSE people can refuse treatment or discuss options with their doctors if they have the luxury of time or options, but in some situations, time and options are both very limited. That is my point.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness