Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2016, 04:18 AM

5,151 posts, read 4,527,166 times

Advertisements

Tie between kidney stones & having the needle of a cortisone injection shoved into an arthritic joint (bone on bone, no cartilege left). Surgery for fractured ankle & wrist with months of recovery with metal plates, pins, & external fixators was also painful. Torn meniscus in both knees sucked pretty bad. Same with torn Achilles tendon, my current issue

Compared to the above, labor & delivery of my 8 lb. 9 oz. & 9.5 lb. babies was a walk in the park...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2016, 05:08 AM

3,423 posts, read 4,366,498 times
Gallbladder attacks here too.

Although, a pinched nerve in my lower neck is a very close second.

Old 09-11-2016, 05:27 AM

13,496 posts, read 18,187,651 times
Spine in 1978. Pieces from a disc had sheared off and cast fibres around some nerves so the chronic pain became increasingly like unrelenting electric shocks from the spine down to my foot. Finally one of the discs just fragmented in a big chunk which lodged right against the sciatic nerve. The pain was unrelenting and unbearable, it was a demerol shot and then four hours later a morphine shot laced with Visteril, and then four hours later demerol and four hours later morphine...up until the operation and it was resumed for a day and a half post-op.

The head nurse was really caring and honest. She said, "Nothing kills this type of pain, the point is to become unconscious...don't wait for the pain to end. It won't, just go with the shot."

Old 09-11-2016, 06:32 AM

4,855 posts, read 2,670,979 times
guillain-barre syndrome..as the peripheral nerves in my legs and feet were being killed off..left me with foot drop in both feet.

Old 09-11-2016, 06:54 AM

18,949 posts, read 43,596,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarciaMarshaMarcia View Post
Tie between kidney stones & having the needle of a cortisone injection shoved into an arthritic joint (bone on bone, no cartilege left). Surgery for fractured ankle & wrist with months of recovery with metal plates, pins, & external fixators was also painful. Torn meniscus in both knees sucked pretty bad. Same with torn Achilles tendon, my current issue

Compared to the above, labor & delivery of my 8 lb. 9 oz. & 9.5 lb. babies was a walk in the park...
I took my Mom to get a cortisone shot in her ankle once, I stayed in the waiting room, and shortly after I could hear her screaming all the way from the back of the building.

Old 09-11-2016, 08:26 AM

4,978 posts, read 5,767,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernnaturelover View Post
... I was made to sit in the waiting area for 45 minutes.
The time you have to worry is when the ER rushes you right back while making other patients wait. When they make you wait, you may be in pain, but at least, it's not life threatening.

Old 09-11-2016, 08:52 AM

2,709 posts, read 2,281,755 times
When Obama was elected.

Old 09-11-2016, 11:16 AM

14,376 posts, read 18,369,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeachSalsa View Post
The time you have to worry is when the ER rushes you right back while making other patients wait. When they make you wait, you may be in pain, but at least, it's not life threatening.
OMG, I was having an attack of Bell's palsy, with a growing numbness in my face and body, and the ER folks pushed me right through. I felt so bad - I was pretty sure what the issue was (I'd been diagnosed over the phone before leaving the house by a friend's father, who is an internationally known doctor), but they couldn't risk me actually being in the middle of a stroke or something worse. There were people moaning and bleeding in the ER who had clearly been there for some time, and I was rushed right past them. The worst part was, I was with my favorite aunt, uncle and cousin, and we'd been laughing our butts off the whole way to the hospital because I was speaking funny and they were taking turns poking my face to see how far the numbness had spread. We were seriously giggling like idiots when we entered the ER.

We were in and out in about 90 minutes. I felt really terrible about that - I've been the person waiting in the ER while in serious pain, and they could have just given me the Prednisone (to stop the numbness from spreading) that day and left me be for a while to take care of the people with more urgent cases.

I suppose it evens out though - they made my 87 year old grandmother (who was prone to strokes) wait for 8 hours one time for an initial examination after she'd hit her head once. I'd just dealt with my elderly father's brain bleed, so I wasn't taking any chances. She eventually faked feeling faint so they'd bump her up in the queue.

Old 09-11-2016, 11:24 AM

14,376 posts, read 18,369,736 times
As for the most pain I've felt, I've never had a serious injury or anything like that, but I'm well acquainted with pain. I get sinus headaches that literally cause me to think about drilling a hole in my head. I once had nerve get "nicked" by a needle in acupuncture and it would send an excruciating, shooting pain through my entire leg if I allowed any pressure on it for a couple weeks.

But the worst pain I have ever felt is the stupidest. I tripped over something in my apartment and ended up with a sliver of plastic embedded in the pad of my toe, just under the first few layers of skin. They had to clean it and then go in with tweezers at the ER to extract it (my regular doctor's office wouldn't even touch it). When they cleaned it, I screamed bloody murder. I mean, I SHRIEKED. I'm the kind of person doctor's thank for not reacting during procedures so they can do their job more easily. But with that stupid piece of plastic in one of my middle toes, I was in a world of pain I'd never before known.

Old 09-11-2016, 11:45 AM

3,925 posts, read 4,129,053 times
Upper tooth that desperately needed a root canal, was infected, and the area where nerve when through was in the middle of a sinus infection.

But I knew this kid who had chest surgery before 1972, after a horrible accident. Up until then, if you appeared unconscious, they didn't give you anesthesia(now they do). He was not really unconscious he was just unresponsive. He said that he woke up to find that they were doing open chest cavity surgery on him(his chest was clamped open after they broke the cartilage over his heart). The pain was so astounding that he went unconscious almost immediately---but not before he felt it. This happened several more times to him during the surgery.

Last edited by slyfox2; 09-11-2016 at 01:02 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness