Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-04-2016, 12:48 PM

14,078 posts, read 16,607,365 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
A. I believe the majority of women who claim they squat over a toilet seat are lying. First of all, it's a hassle, and secondly, it requires the person to perform a rigid squat for at least 30 seconds, and Americans are so ridiculously out of shape that most wouldn't even be able to do this, no matter how much they wanted to.
Seriously? Trying to poop while squatting is hard, but I have never sat on a public toilet to urinate. It's super easy to squat and urinate for me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2016, 12:55 PM

14,078 posts, read 16,607,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeh63 View Post
Okay....that's MY line in the sand...I rarely poo in a public restroom and I'd sooner explode in my car than poo in a porta potty.
Porta potties are truly terrifying. I was traumatized after having to use one at a park this summer. Had I known in advance that the park had no real bathrooms, I would've skipped the function. For the record, I couldn't bring myself to pee directly into that horrible waste hole, so I used a cup instead and then dumped it in there.

Old 10-04-2016, 03:15 PM

3,299 posts, read 3,024,923 times
Seriously, how many viruses or bacteria are there in the world that could thrive for however long on a toilet seat, then spend however much time on someone's buttocks, come home with them, transfer some hours later to the home toilet seat, live there for a while, then transfer to someone else's buttocks and infect them? Hands are what you should worry about.

Old 10-04-2016, 03:39 PM

1,359 posts, read 1,806,251 times
Like many others in this thread, I worry more about the door handle than the toilet seat. Obviously if it's got crap all over it, I won't use it or if it's got some 'sprinkles' on it, I'll wipe it off, but I'll still plop my butt down on the seat. Never had any kind of 'disease' and I rarely get sick.

Old 10-04-2016, 03:39 PM

11,110 posts, read 9,810,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post
Things that are probably more germy than a toilet seat:

Door handles
Telephones
Remote controls
Light switches
Hand rails

Not to mention your hands are more likely to have small cuts or sores/irritations than your bum, making them much more susceptible to picking up an infection of some kind.

Wash your hands.
Money.

There are more germs on a £1 coin than a TOILET SEAT | Daily Mail Online

Anyone who handles money - but refuses to sit on a public toilet seat - is just making themselves feel better.

Old 10-04-2016, 03:55 PM

6,806 posts, read 4,905,871 times
If you prepare or eat chicken or pork, you are way more likely to be made sick by poop bacteria than you ever are by sitting in on a public toilet. That's because you are eating directly rather than sitting on it.

http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/m...cken/index.htm

http://www.foodsafetynews.com/2012/1.../#.V_QqZIWnBIA

Last edited by Just A Guy; 10-04-2016 at 04:12 PM..

Old 10-04-2016, 09:36 PM

3,239 posts, read 3,541,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irootoo View Post
Seriously, how many viruses or bacteria are there in the world that could thrive for however long on a toilet seat, then spend however much time on someone's buttocks, come home with them, transfer some hours later to the home toilet seat, live there for a while, then transfer to someone else's buttocks and infect them? Hands are what you should worry about.
So true. My wife squats when she uses a public restroom and is such a germophobe that she will pee in a cup in the car before using a public toilet. She was trying to train our daughter to do some of the same behaviors, but luckily I have been able to inject some common sense into that process.

Old 10-04-2016, 11:41 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,889,999 times
No, it don't feel comfy, nor does it really protect you from germs. If the stall is bad, I'll just wait.

Old 10-05-2016, 12:07 AM

10,481 posts, read 25,282,289 times
I use the papers. When I find a clean seat, I layer them 6-7 thick. Covering every single space. I use paper towels or kleenex folded over to open bathroom doors and the stall door.
If women are going to squat, if they would just take their foot and lift the toilet seat, then squat, it would be so much better than to just squat over the seat and make a mess. I cannot use a toilet with pee all over it and I am not cleaning up someone's pee. Most of the time, I will wait until I get home if I can. I am a germaphobe to a degree.

Old 10-05-2016, 12:15 AM

2,993 posts, read 4,303,849 times
By the time it gets to the point where I HAVE to sit down on a public restroom (which I despise having to do and avoid at all costs), I don't care, nor have the time to worry about putting a seat cover down. What's a seat cover really going to do anyways?

Usually, I wash my hands afterwards if it comes to this.

But not for #1, my reasoning being that my situation is cleaner than any sink handle and soap dispenser . I will use hand sanitizer though.

On a side note: I worked service calls for a while where we would be out and about for 12+ hours. My partner would always pull into a random bank as he claimed that banks have the cleanest, most unused toliets of anywhere.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness