Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2016, 09:16 PM

24,012 posts, read 28,458,432 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luvvarkansas View Post
You do not get the flu from the flu shot. It is made from killed virus.

It takes a couple of weeks for the immunity to build up. If you were exposed before you got the shot or are exposed before the immunity from the shot builds up to the proper level, you will get the flu.

So many people still believe what you posted...I can't believe your doctor actually believes it.
He didn't say he got the flu, just that he got sick. He may have had a reaction to one of the ingredients.

Old 10-14-2016, 10:16 PM

2,411 posts, read 1,975,530 times
So far so good without a flu shot. Never have had one. I haven't had the flu since I was a kid (60 years ago or so). My auto-immune condition seems to be doing its job nicely - and my overactive immune system keeps that kind of germ at bay I guess. Not about to start getting shots now.

For those who are older though, doctors are now recommending you not get a flu shot anyway till much later in the 'season' because they think that the effects may wear off more quickly in the elder body.

Old 10-14-2016, 10:23 PM

11,495 posts, read 26,872,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markg91359 View Post
You can get an influenza shot with no preservatives in it. Just make sure you get it as a single dose, rather than from the multi-dose flu vial. I repeat, there are no preservatives or thimersol in the single dose of influenza. It has been taken out years ago.
My sister told me the same thing.

My doctor just said not to get it anymore because I've had reactions the last two times I got it at her office. Last year my face puffed up and face and throat turned deep red about 15 minutes after I got the shot. The year before it was milder, just redness without a raised border.

Old 10-14-2016, 11:36 PM

7,488 posts, read 10,488,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo48 View Post
...there has to be something else going on.
There IS something else going on, something they're not talking about. The food we eat is not as nutrient dense as it was 20-30 years ago, and even back then it wasn't as good as 50 years before that. Most Americans are walking around in a low-grade sick condition, due to lack of nutrients. They figure that if they eat a raw vegan diet or organic diet, that their health must be top notch. After all, they go to the gym and work out!

So, what does all this have to do with the flu? People who are well-fed but nutrient-starved will not have good immune systems. All of this is preventable by remineralizing the soils our food is grown on, but farmers are told to apply only NPK fertilizers. The same corporate interests who tell them that, are the ones who own and control the AMA, the pharmaceutical companies, and the major medical schools. My objection is not just to the money, but the human suffering. And a whole lot of other diseases are involved - the flu is the least of it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo48 View Post
While the CDC may believe in the Tooth Fairy and their "goal" of 90% rates in the next 4 years, far too many of us long ago stopped believing in that fairy.
Agreed. The CDC is just another branch of the government that is bought and controlled by the same interests I referred to above. Those interests stand to make a whole lot of money if that 90% figure is reached. They don't give a hoot whether we get the flu or not, as long as we (or our insurance companies) pay for the shots. They don't even care if we take the shots, as long as we pay for them!

In the interest of full disclosure, I'm a 69 yo male with 2 married daughters, and 6 grandchildren aged 7 to 19. I have never had a flu shot. I haven't had even a cold in over 15 years. My grandkids catch nothing from me, and I catch nothing from them, even when they're sniffling with colds. I'm immune to all that now, and long ago stopped believing all the garbage spewed out by the media, trying to convince me of what my common sense tells me is not so.

Old 10-15-2016, 01:01 AM

4,490 posts, read 3,929,392 times
I'm 64. Haven't had a bad cold for about 15 years, never had the flu since I was a kid. Can't remember my last headache, maybe 25-30 years ago. I never get the flu shot and so far, so good. I could actually use a good cold so I'd have an excuse to take some time off work. I DID get the shingles vaccine a few years back at my Doc's suggestion, that's an ugly looking disease.

Old 10-15-2016, 01:15 AM

37,102 posts, read 41,261,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lodestar View Post
I also sometimes leave the room if anyone around is coughing. We have a lot of refugees in MN and 20% carry the tuberculosis virus. So I do what I can and hope our health professionals are doing their best to promote good diagnosis and health habits among others.
TB is caused by a bacterium, not a virus.

Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post
Got my flu shot recently. There is no reason for me to not get one. No allergies past reactions, or other health conditions that would preclude me from getting the vaccine.

I'm generally healthy and don't typically get sick with those kinds of things.

Why did I get one? I have a young grandchild and I'd not be able to live with myself if he got seriously ill (or worse) because of something I did or didn't do. I also made sure my DTP was up to date.

Of course I ALSO take the normal precautions like handwashing and I have the ability to work from home if I'm unwell so not to spread disease.
Me, too.

Last edited by suzy_q2010; 10-15-2016 at 01:40 AM..

Old 10-15-2016, 01:58 AM

37,102 posts, read 41,261,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nor'Eastah View Post
There IS something else going on, something they're not talking about. The food we eat is not as nutrient dense as it was 20-30 years ago, and even back then it wasn't as good as 50 years before that. Most Americans are walking around in a low-grade sick condition, due to lack of nutrients. They figure that if they eat a raw vegan diet or organic diet, that their health must be top notch. After all, they go to the gym and work out!

So, what does all this have to do with the flu? People who are well-fed but nutrient-starved will not have good immune systems. All of this is preventable by remineralizing the soils our food is grown on, but farmers are told to apply only NPK fertilizers. The same corporate interests who tell them that, are the ones who own and control the AMA, the pharmaceutical companies, and the major medical schools. My objection is not just to the money, but the human suffering. And a whole lot of other diseases are involved - the flu is the least of it!
If you eat a diet that includes all the major food groups you minimize the risk of being deficient in any nutrients.

I suspect farmers have a pretty good idea how to manage the soil for their crops.

The AMA is a professional organization. It is not "owned" by anyone except itself, and most doctors are not even members (only about a quarter are).

What "human suffering" are you talking about?

Quote:
Agreed. The CDC is just another branch of the government that is bought and controlled by the same interests I referred to above. Those interests stand to make a whole lot of money if that 90% figure is reached. They don't give a hoot whether we get the flu or not, as long as we (or our insurance companies) pay for the shots. They don't even care if we take the shots, as long as we pay for them!
Doctors and drug companies get a lot more money if you get the flu than if you take the vaccine. That's why insurance companies want you to take the vaccine, so they do not have to pay because you get sick.

Old 10-15-2016, 02:00 AM

37,135 posts, read 42,214,810 times
I get them free through work and get paid so little I'll take any benefits I can get! Never had a bad reaction though so I have no reason not to try to stay healthy.

Old 10-15-2016, 03:57 AM

3,887 posts, read 4,540,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lodestar;45826528
I also sometimes leave the room if anyone around is coughing. [B
We have a lot of refugees in MN and 20% carry the tuberculosis virus[/b]. So I do what I can and hope our health professionals are doing their best to promote good diagnosis and health habits among others.
OT: Curious, why they're not being screened for TB? My hubby immigrated here 15 years ago and had to have an X ray in hand to prove he didn't have TB

Back to topic... I WISH I didn't need one but I have mild asthma that flares up bad only when I get sick. One year the flu shot didn't work, and I was horribly ill, had to go on Prednisone, (I hate that stuff!) and was on a special inhaler for several weeks afterwards. So yeah, I'm getting one next week.

Old 10-15-2016, 04:48 AM

10,233 posts, read 6,317,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
If you eat a diet that includes all the major food groups you minimize the risk of being deficient in any nutrients.

I suspect farmers have a pretty good idea how to manage the soil for their crops.

The AMA is a professional organization. It is not "owned" by anyone except itself, and most doctors are not even members (only about a quarter are).

What "human suffering" are you talking about?

Doctors and drug companies get a lot more money if you get the flu than if you take the vaccine. That's why insurance companies want you to take the vaccine, so they do not have to pay because you get sick.
Doctors and drug companies won't make any money if you don't get the flu, period. They won't either if you don't go to a doctor even if you do get the flu. Do you really think everyone who gets the flu runs to a doctor? I really have to laugh seeing headlines which say there has been ONE reported case of the flu in the state (?) of Maryland! They make it sound like oh, no, there is a case of EBOLA or something. Nobody can possibly know how many people get the flu for the reason I stated before.

BTW, insurance companies will make a lot of $$$ from your premiums when you never submit a claim for anything. I am including all preventive care in that statement of which flu shots are just one small part.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.