Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-24-2016, 07:53 PM

37,092 posts, read 41,220,763 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
I just found this and thought of your comments here:

Is There a Link Between Iodine Deficiency and Autism?
Women who are pregnant or breast feeding should consult their doctors before taking iodine.

http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/840056

"In the ATA's [American Thyroid Association's] public health committee statement, Angela M Leung, MD, from the University of California Los Angeles David Geffen School of Medicine, and colleagues, including Dr Stagnaro-Green, note that iodine is a micronutrient required for normal thyroid function. The US recommended daily allowances (RDA) for iodine intake are 150 μg in adults, 220 to 250 μg in pregnant women, and 250 to 290 μg in breastfeeding women. Dietary sources such as iodized salt, dairy products, some breads, and seafood usually contain enough to meet the RDA for most people who aren't pregnant or lactating.

However, there is an upper safety limit, with ingestion of more than 1100 μg/day not recommended due to the risk for thyroid dysfunction. In particular, infants, the elderly, pregnant and lactating women, and people with preexisting thyroid disease are at risk for adverse effects of excess iodine on the thyroid.

Many iodine, potassium iodide, and kelp supplements contain hundredfold greater amounts of iodine than the recommended upper limit, Dr Leung and colleagues caution.

'Given the increasing popularity of iodine and kelp supplements, recommendations cautioning against excess iodine were indicated. The potential result of iodine-induced thyroid dysfunction, which may be particularly harmful during pregnancy and breastfeeding and in the elderly, may not be well-known,' she told Medscape Medical News."

"Referring to both of the ATA recent statements, she told Medscape Medical News, 'We hope that these two recent articles highlight the critical importance of the appropriate amount of iodine intake, particularly among pregnant and breastfeeding women in whom there may be adverse effects to the developing fetus and newborn infant with both iodine deficiency and iodine excess.'"

Old 10-24-2016, 07:56 PM

37,092 posts, read 41,220,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coschristi View Post
When my son was diagnosed one of the requested tests was hair strand analysis for Heavy Metals. His results came back showing horrifically high levels of Aluminum. As I understand, iodine does help with the removal of metals from the body. The Lugols was reccomended by my mother; she is a PhD in Biochem & an RD.
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/11150111

"Assessment of commercial laboratories performing hair mineral analysis.

Laboratory differences in highest and lowest reported mineral concentrations for the split sample exceeded 10-fold for 12 minerals, and statistically significant (P<.05) extreme values were reported for 14 of the 31 minerals that were analyzed by 3 or more laboratories. Variations also were found in laboratory sample preparation methods and calibration standards. Laboratory designations of normal reference ranges varied greatly, resulting in conflicting classifications (high, normal, or low) of nearly all analyzed minerals. Laboratories also provided conflicting dietary and nutritional supplement recommendations based on their results.
CONCLUSIONS:
Hair mineral analysis from these laboratories was unreliable, and we recommend that health care practitioners refrain from using such analyses to assess individual nutritional status or suspected environmental exposures. Problems with the regulation and certification of these laboratories also should be addressed."

Old 10-24-2016, 08:43 PM

6,472 posts, read 6,668,763 times
I was diagnosed with hypothyroidism (Hashi's) about 12 years ago. I was put on Synthroid, was still very tired all the time, so was also put on Zoloft (anti-depressant) even though I didn't "feel depressed." I felt better, but still never felt energetic, plus I was losing my hair and was my skin was insanely dry. I asked several different doctors (because we move a lot, so I frequently have a new doctor) about trying Armour or other desiccated product, but they were all "Synthroid Only Doctors" ---- until we moved to where I am now.

I found an MD here (yes, an actual MD) who believes very strongly in the benefits of NDT + Iodine, and now that I have switched to Nature-Throid*, supplemental iodine, and a small dose of Synthroid, I have never felt better! (It took a few months of tweaking the dose of course).

Synthroid may be molecularly identical to a human's T4, but (according to my dr, and according to others in the "alternative thyroid treatment movement" such as Stop the Thyroid Madness), many patients do not have the ability to convert T4 into usable T3, so they need more than Synthroid. It is very frustrating that so few doctors seem to understand this.

*Nature-Throid contains T4, T3, T2, T1, calcitonin, and iodine

Old 10-24-2016, 09:33 PM

6,568 posts, read 4,960,720 times
I have Hashi's. My first script was Levo from an endo. I did horrible on it.

I then went to Armour, then NP Thyroid and did much better.

Tried a new doc who was supposed to be an expert in hormones as I felt I needed deeper hormone testing. Thought I interviewed him well over the phone, but didn't realize that while he believes in NDT, he does NOT do so for Hashi's patients. I've heard of other doctors that felt this way too.

He put me on a compounded med which cost a whopping $45/month instead of my $5 copay. And lucky me, it had Levo in it again, although he did add some T3. I gained 8 lbs in a week - during a heatwave no less (I don't eat much when it's hot). My feet were so swollen that I couldn't see the veins anymore. I begged him to at least up my dose - dammit I should have quit him then. He raised the dose but wouldn't change the Levo. I stuck with it for a year before going back to my prior doctor - what a waste of time and money!

Back on NDT - Naturethyroid this time. Doing better, still not perfect, but better. My biggest issue now is that my TSH is suppressed which freaks out my doctor so I always have to fight to keep my dose. One of my docs wanted to raise me but the one who prescribes had a fit so here I stay. Better, but not perfect.

The medical industry sucks.

Old 10-24-2016, 10:31 PM

29,267 posts, read 16,725,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kayanne View Post
I was diagnosed with hypothyroidism (Hashi's) about 12 years ago. I was put on Synthroid, was still very tired all the time, so was also put on Zoloft (anti-depressant) even though I didn't "feel depressed." I felt better, but still never felt energetic, plus I was losing my hair and was my skin was insanely dry. I asked several different doctors (because we move a lot, so I frequently have a new doctor) about trying Armour or other desiccated product, but they were all "Synthroid Only Doctors" ---- until we moved to where I am now.

I found an MD here (yes, an actual MD) who believes very strongly in the benefits of NDT + Iodine, and now that I have switched to Nature-Throid*, supplemental iodine, and a small dose of Synthroid, I have never felt better! (It took a few months of tweaking the dose of course).

Synthroid may be molecularly identical to a human's T4, but (according to my dr, and according to others in the "alternative thyroid treatment movement" such as Stop the Thyroid Madness), many patients do not have the ability to convert T4 into usable T3, so they need more than Synthroid. It is very frustrating that so few doctors seem to understand this.

*Nature-Throid contains T4, T3, T2, T1, calcitonin, and iodine
Hi and good to read your comments. And finally feeling good. I didn't realize NT contains some iodine but it does, with armour and NP price increases, I'm committed to NT now.

http://getrealthyroid.com/why-get-real/nature-throid/

I've been taking Iosol drops for quite a few years now and just reading a ton of reviews on iherb..people can't say enough positive remarks about this Iodine.

I took an amount of A/D drugs for 10 yrs when I couldn't get my thyroid supported. I've learned a lot but it's taken a lot of years. I'm totally off all A/D drugs and know too Vit D is critical for low moods.

Take care and thanks again for your positive report.

PS: Years ago on my journey to get thyroid help an endo pushed me off Armour and on Syn and talk about FATIGUE...yikes.

Old 10-24-2016, 10:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WouldLoveTo View Post
I have Hashi's. My first script was Levo from an endo. I did horrible on it.

I then went to Armour, then NP Thyroid and did much better.

Tried a new doc who was supposed to be an expert in hormones as I felt I needed deeper hormone testing. Thought I interviewed him well over the phone, but didn't realize that while he believes in NDT, he does NOT do so for Hashi's patients. I've heard of other doctors that felt this way too.

He put me on a compounded med which cost a whopping $45/month instead of my $5 copay. And lucky me, it had Levo in it again, although he did add some T3. I gained 8 lbs in a week - during a heatwave no less (I don't eat much when it's hot). My feet were so swollen that I couldn't see the veins anymore. I begged him to at least up my dose - dammit I should have quit him then. He raised the dose but wouldn't change the Levo. I stuck with it for a year before going back to my prior doctor - what a waste of time and money!

Back on NDT - Naturethyroid this time. Doing better, still not perfect, but better. My biggest issue now is that my TSH is suppressed which freaks out my doctor so I always have to fight to keep my dose. One of my docs wanted to raise me but the one who prescribes had a fit so here I stay. Better, but not perfect.

The medical industry sucks.
I hear you on the medical INDUSTRY. Every MD and endo has different opinions and drugs to push etc etc. I've been on that long road.

One endo had me drink water and said my thyroid was fine.
One endo felt around my thyroid and said I was fine but that I had Fibro..he was pushing his Fibro drugs.
One endo took me off Armour and on to Syn and I was falling over with fatigue...

My TSH is suppressed and I'm fine as I take 2 grains NT daily and drops of Iosol iodine and selenium. I was told I had Hashi back in early 90's..but don't know if I do now or not.

Thanks for your report..

Back before Syn and the labs of today's medical world, MD's gave theraputic doses of NDT to their patients when they came in with their long list of symptoms...today we are numbers in their thyroid business. The old time doctors would up dose according to how their patients were doing. I still believe iodine is so necessary for thyroid health.

Last edited by jaminhealth; 10-24-2016 at 10:56 PM..

Old 10-25-2016, 07:02 AM

15,218 posts, read 10,297,247 times
What is NDT? Is it something that the doctor can prescribe or is it from the Health food store? I'm on levothyroxine because my thyroid was completely removed. The last time I saw my MD he said he wanted to lower my dosage but while I have a few symptoms of too much synthetic meds I would rather have a little too much than not enough.

I see him tomorrow to get my blood test results that I requested to check my thyroid levels and my adrenals as I'm always so tired. I go to bed tired, half the time I can't fall asleep and I wake up too early and just as tired as when I went to bed most of the time. Despite eating only 1300 calories or less a day AND working out at the gym 3-4 days a week I can't get my weight down below 149. I'm sick and tired of feeling sick and tired. :-(

Old 10-25-2016, 07:12 AM

6,472 posts, read 6,668,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiluvr1228 View Post
What is NDT? Is it something that the doctor can prescribe or is it from the Health food store? I'm on levothyroxine because my thyroid was completely removed. The last time I saw my MD he said he wanted to lower my dosage but while I have a few symptoms of too much synthetic meds I would rather have a little too much than not enough.

I see him tomorrow to get my blood test results that I requested to check my thyroid levels and my adrenals as I'm always so tired. I go to bed tired, half the time I can't fall asleep and I wake up too early and just as tired as when I went to bed most of the time. Despite eating only 1300 calories or less a day AND working out at the gym 3-4 days a week I can't get my weight down below 149. I'm sick and tired of feeling sick and tired. :-(
NDT = Natural Designated Thyroid. Brands include Armour and Nature-Throad. It is an Rx medication containing the hormones T3 and T4, the precursors T1 and T2, and calcitonin and iodine. (very small amounts of those last four).

Old 10-25-2016, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiluvr1228 View Post

In all my years of working on this thyroid issue, I've read that the adrenals need to be addressed before the thyroid meds will do their job. I've taken many adrenals over the years and some helped and others, I don't know. Adaptagens are used too for adrenal supports, I"ve tried many of them but some can elevate blood pressure so I needed to be on top of that class of supports. I now take Panthetine for adrenal support its more effective I've read than Pantothenic Acid. I don't know if the conventional MD's know any of these supports. You can read up on these two "P" supports, they are otc.

You got the explanation of NDT.

Hope you have a good MD visit, but if it's a conventional MD, I'd think on that one.

Old 10-25-2016, 01:07 PM

It's actually Natural Desiccated Thyroid NDT.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.