U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 02-24-2008, 10:06 PM

8,241 posts, read 9,870,811 times
Default Flu Shot?

Did you get it? I never have, and I think I've had the flu once. I don't trust anything that the government 'encourages' me to get. I'm careful to wash my hands, eat well, sleep well and take my vitamins. Too many people I know have had the vaccine and still have gotten the flu.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2008, 10:10 PM

337 posts, read 1,009,070 times
The flu shot isn't working the best this season because it does not protect against all the strains of flu this year. Consequently, a lot of people are getting influenza.

No, I've never gotten a flu shot. I prefer to let nature take it's course. If I'm going to get bronchitis for a few days, then so be it.

Old 02-25-2008, 06:44 AM

429 posts, read 1,667,261 times
My two kids and I did. We usually do get the flu w/out a vaccine, so it's been a very productive winter.

Old 02-25-2008, 07:32 AM

4,732 posts, read 12,918,571 times
I usually do. The one strain going around now though was identified at the end of the last flu season, so there wasn't enough time to it include it in the vaccine. We wash our hands often and don't touch our eyes, nose, or mouth. However, there are still other ways to get, for example if someone sneezes or coughs toward you as you are walking by. I have not gotten the flu since I started getting the vaccine. My dad got the flu the year that the vaccine was in short supply. He got it right before our drive back from Detroit to Charlotte, so I was in a car with him for 10 hours and didn't get it even though I wasn't vaccinated.

The government isn't the only agency that encourages people to get the shot, and the governement can occasionally be right about something.

Old 02-25-2008, 11:42 AM

934 posts, read 10,237 times
We do not get it.

We've also not had the flu (knocking on wood- but none of us has EVER had the flu)

Its just one of those things I don't think is really necessary

Old 02-25-2008, 02:27 PM

40 posts, read 185,659 times
The flu shot only protects against 3 of the strains of flu. Unfortunately, it does not appear as if they guess correctly this year about which ones to choose. Lots of people are getting the flu regardless.

Old 02-25-2008, 02:34 PM

2,238 posts, read 6,150,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carrot juice View Post
The flu shot isn't working the best this season because it does not protect against all the strains of flu this year. Consequently, a lot of people are getting influenza.

No, I've never gotten a flu shot. I prefer to let nature take it's course. If I'm going to get bronchitis for a few days, then so be it.
The flu shot NEVER protects against all strains of the flu. What happens is that the companies that produce it make their best guess as to what strains will be "popular" the following season, and manufacture a vaccine cocktail of a few different types of flu. So even if you get the vaccine, you're not protected against getting the flu -- only the kinds of flu the pharmaceutical company thought were going to be the common ones this season.

That said, if you're normally a healthy person, you don't need the vaccine anyway. It's for people with compromised immunity or senior citizens, etc. Not for your average adult.

Old 02-25-2008, 02:35 PM

3,067 posts, read 5,529,036 times
I haven't contracted flu for about 2 yrs (I used to every year thanks to all the business traveling/flying I did) but had never gotten a flu shot 'til now. My OB & peri highly recommended it as I am pg. DH never gets the flu (overly aggressive immune system associated with MS) so he didn't get the shot.

Just about every family we know has come down with it this year so whether or not my flu shot helped me - I just don't know.

Old 02-25-2008, 02:54 PM

4,732 posts, read 12,918,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hguru View Post
The flu shot only protects against 3 of the strains of flu. Unfortunately, it does not appear as if they guess correctly this year about which ones to choose. Lots of people are getting the flu regardless.

Still, 16 good predictions out of the past 20 years is a pretty good record.

Old 02-25-2008, 04:37 PM

2,362 posts, read 3,366,840 times
Last time I got a flu shot (administered by the Air Force, no choice) I was sick for 2 months. The rare times I actually get the flu I'm only down for about a week. I figured it was better to be sick for a week instead of 2 months and haven't gotten a flu shot since.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness