Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-21-2016, 10:44 AM

981 posts, read 898,961 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
Interesting on your discovery of the SLS and toothpastes...I came to this realization some yrs back and started to use only TP's from health food stores and then found SLS in many of those...so for me, the only good answer is making my own coconut oil TP. Love it and no sores of any kind..
Is your coconut oil TP just coconut oil and nothing else? I'd really like to try this, I have also heard that rinsing with oils can help clean teeth more effectively.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2016, 11:26 AM

29,267 posts, read 16,728,168 times
I've talked about this in the Dental area here.. My receipe is:

2-3T coconut oil
1/2 t baking soda
Drops of clove oil, some like peppermint oil
Drops of oil of oregano

I make this up in a 4 oz jar and make it every 2-3 weeks.

After a lifetime of dental work I don't see a dentist now for over 5 yrs.

Old 11-21-2016, 02:30 PM

1,013 posts, read 1,420,691 times
I have not read All the responses, but for my cold sores I take Acyclovir pills when I feel one coming on and for 1st 3 days; I also have a prescription for Zovirax cream that I use. They work much better than anything over the counter.

BTW- those are the same medicine I was prescribed when I got shingles

Old 11-27-2016, 06:49 AM

50,339 posts, read 63,906,560 times
I have never had a cold sore, thankfully, but I have taken acyclovir for shingles, and found it to cure a wart I had at the same time.
I realize that there are several types of herpes viruses, but if OP hasn't done so, he should get to a doctor and get an antiviral to take at the first sign of a cold sore. The med is cheap and effective, and it might be the magic bullet.

Old 11-27-2016, 03:47 PM

37,098 posts, read 41,226,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
I have never had a cold sore, thankfully, but I have taken acyclovir for shingles, and found it to cure a wart I had at the same time.
I realize that there are several types of herpes viruses, but if OP hasn't done so, he should get to a doctor and get an antiviral to take at the first sign of a cold sore. The med is cheap and effective, and it might be the magic bullet.
Acyclovir will not treat HPV. It would be great if it would. I wonder if the general stimulation of the immune system by the shingles episode helped the wart go away.

It could have just been coincidence, too.

Old 11-27-2016, 04:18 PM

50,339 posts, read 63,906,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
Acyclovir will not treat HPV. It would be great if it would. I wonder if the general stimulation of the immune system by the shingles episode helped the wart go away.

It could have just been coincidence, too.
Nope, I don't think so. I had a wart above my eyebrow for months. I had an appt with a plastic surgeon to have it lasered off, but I had to wait for an opening. On day 5 of the meds, it just rolled off. Nobody can convince me that it wasn't the antiviral.

Old 11-27-2016, 04:33 PM

71 posts, read 99,305 times
...buy silver nitrate sticks for canker sores(mail order on the web)...they look like fireplace match sticks...it will burn/sting for a few seconds but is worth it!! ..the canker will be pain free the next day as opposed to a week of agony.

Old 11-27-2016, 04:34 PM

37,098 posts, read 41,226,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
Nope, I don't think so. I had a wart above my eyebrow for months. I had an appt with a plastic surgeon to have it lasered off, but I had to wait for an opening. On day 5 of the meds, it just rolled off. Nobody can convince me that it wasn't the antiviral.
Acyclovir has no activity against human papillomaviruses. If it did, doctors would be happily prescribing it for warts, which can be very difficult to treat for some people. Ascribing it to the acyclovir is an example of the post hoc ergo propter hoc fallacy.

Warts do go away by themselves, which is the reason many home remedies work. I like Tom Sawyer's dead cat method myself.

Wart removal techniques, courtesy of folklore, Tom Sawyer, and the Internet - Chester County Independent

Or, as I said, it may have been a non-specific effect of the varicella virus reactivation cranking up the immune system.

Old 11-28-2016, 04:24 PM

2,294 posts, read 3,427,156 times
The local pharmacy makes its own cold sore tincture, it has camphor and we think maybe wintergreen in it. The recipe is a secret but its the only thing that works for me, at the first tingle I start dabbing it on and cold sores never really appear they are usually gone within 4 days.
My daughter who also suffers with cold sores calls it unicorn pee as its a miracle (and it does kinda look like a pee sample)

Old 12-02-2016, 07:17 AM

4 posts, read 2,573 times
I didn't have cold store but I had herpes on foot https://illnessee.com/herpes-on-feet-pictures and I can say it's not pleasure to have it. This site helped me to learn about it and find out how to fight it in the best way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness