U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2016, 01:35 PM

5,371 posts, read 9,859,230 times

Advertisements

Are you on a diuretic? I am -- and found out that it can wash away your magnesium (as well as potassium). Problem with the magnesium is that a blood test doesn't tell whether you're low or not as most of the mag is in your cells. So you can be real low and never know from a blood panel.

I started getting bad leg cramps at night, weird heat beats (fast, slow, thumps, out of rhythm) and then horrible insomnia due to feeling anxious and jittery. Kind of like having had too much caffeine. But I hadn't.

Came across a book about magnesium (The Magnesium Factor -- but there are other books out there on the same topic.) and read about side effects from low mag. Based on what I read, I started supplementing (taking 500 mg/day) and insomnia, leg cramps and odd heart beats have normalized.

So wanted to pass this on to you in case you're having these symptoms. (there are other symptoms and diseases--low mag can even cause high blood pressure, elevated cholesterol. Google magnesium shortage to read more).

Even if you aren't taking a diuretic, something like 75% of Americans are short on this critical mineral that supports heart, nervous system and bone health. We get a lot of calcium, generally enough potassium, but magnesium? Nope! Very interesting stuff. Check it out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2016, 01:38 PM

2,320 posts, read 1,207,036 times
any natural food sources for Magnesium, as you have read up on this?

I will pass this on!

Old 11-18-2016, 01:41 PM

23,691 posts, read 8,235,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAjerseychick View Post
any natural food sources for Magnesium, as you have read up on this?

I will pass this on!
Yes there are food sources for mag and potassium but one has to be UP on taking a lot of the foods.

Old 11-18-2016, 01:43 PM

I take a diuretic as part of my BP meds but starting cutting my tab in half as my BP is much better since off Nsaid. But yes, true about these diuretics pulling mag and potassium from our body and one has to supplement or eat piles of foods. I supplement and eat modest foods.

Old 11-18-2016, 01:50 PM

[quote=CAjerseychick;46239494]any natural food sources for Magnesium, as you have read up on this?

I will pass this on![/QUOTE

Yep, there are...Google for a list...spinach, nuts, beans, dried fruits, etc. are some. But I was already eating lots of those. Needed to supplement it seems. Easier to get calcium and potassium from our foods than magnesium. At least for me -- my potassium is normal on the blood panels despite the diuretic...go figure.

Old 11-18-2016, 01:59 PM

My potassium is in the normal range, but it's a lower normal. Some days fatigue is worse than others and extra potassium helps me. Mag I take a cap a few times a day...and often before bedtime. A friend with CFS takes a lot extra potassium and it helps her horrid fatigue.

Old 11-19-2016, 05:13 AM

I wish more people knew about magnesium -- especially that its lack can CAUSE high blood pressure, high cholesterol, insomnia, anxiety, and heart issues such as irregular heartbeats.

How much pain could be avoided and how many medications could be avoided with an adequate amount in our bodies?

Old 11-19-2016, 09:13 AM

15,211 posts, read 8,513,923 times
Your doctor should have told you about the need to watch your electrolytes with diuretics - especially if you're on them for long periods. So yes, have sodium and potassium checked. Magnesium is supposedly not as much of a concern because you're not likely to be SEVERELY deficient.

Old 11-19-2016, 10:13 AM

5,188 posts, read 3,502,540 times
Years ago, I took a potassium-sparing diuretic, but unfortunately cannot remember its name. You may wish to research magnesium and potassium-sparing diuretics such as:

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/3543514/

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Potass...aring_diuretic

Want to hear some irony? Currently take Losartan which is an ARB drug for high blood pressure. One of the side effects is that it has raised my potassium while lowering sodium.

OK so to help alleviate this electrolyte imbalance, they put me on a low dose of the diuretic furosemide (Latex generic) to raise the sodium and lower potassium!

Old 11-19-2016, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleDolphin View Post
I wish more people knew about magnesium -- especially that its lack can CAUSE high blood pressure, high cholesterol, insomnia, anxiety, and heart issues such as irregular heartbeats.

How much pain could be avoided and how many medications could be avoided with an adequate amount in our bodies?
It is very sad that so many doctors getting an F in this area of patients' health and the drugs they prescribe. Even my integrative MD has failed to talk about loss of these two with the BP meds....so a person has to be their own doctors so much and SO MANY are not doing the research "some" of us do. Very very sad.

MOST older folks I know are on BP meds and are NOT on the internet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or