Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-22-2016, 12:05 PM

11,495 posts, read 26,859,038 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by runswithscissors View Post
100%

Once my regular fabulous MD was away and had some of his residents covering appointments in addition to his 3 normal MDs in his pretty large practice. I wasn't thrilled, I always decline residents, but OK.

I've rarely taken a/b but a couple times had to. IE dental surgery etc.

I had a Lyme titer and the antibiotics were tricky because of side effects. Even though I told him I had GI problems with the typical Doxy they prescribe he said "try it - that's all that works".

Predictably on day 3 I couldn't tolerate it, had to leave work.... and went back and had to have a FIT and demand something else (from a different doctor) after he tried to tell me I HAD TO put up with the side effects. DUH. OH OK, I'll take a drug that I don't even absorb because you're new.

(my regular doc had already TOLD ME "never keep taking an a/b you can't tolerate unless it's very short term because it's counterproductive").

Anyway, after changing a couple times, I got dual ear infections. Another predictable side effect. The same resident prescribed the wrong topical a/b even for the ears and the whole sum of the drama was I was out of work for a MONTH. At the PHONE COMPANY of all places, LOL. But I had FMLA.

I'm glad I never got significant Lyme symptoms and probably never needed the a/b anyway.
One of my kids had an illness caused by a tick bite. Not Lyme, but a different one. She had pretty bad side effects with the Doxy but the doctor was sure the effects of not treating the infection with doxycycline would be worse than the side effects, so she just had to suffer through it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-22-2016, 09:33 PM

1,656 posts, read 2,778,843 times
The OP (and everyone else taking fish antibiotics) is screwing the rest of us. Antibiotic resistance is real. You people are the reason these "superbugs" develop which are not responsive to any antibiotics.

Old 11-23-2016, 01:17 AM
eok

6,684 posts, read 4,247,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by runswithscissors View Post
Even though I told him I had GI problems with the typical Doxy they prescribe he said "try it - that's all that works".
Have you ever tried Florastor and/or other probiotics when you take an antibiotic that causes GI problems? They can in some cases make a big difference. Especially Florastor, because it's a kind of fungus, which is immune to the most powerful antibiotics. It's sold over the counter, for around $1 per daily capsule. You can also take other probiotics at the same time, to help even more. Most of them are bacteria, not fungus. And there are various foods that have the right bacteria in them to help a little, such as yogurt. Even milk will help a little. The key is to get the right bacteria growing in your intestines, which are killed by the antibiotic, which is why you have to get them growing again or growing more to replace the ones that get killed. But in any case, ask a doctor. I'm only explaining what I think I understand, but might have it wrong.

Old 11-23-2016, 01:20 AM
eok

6,684 posts, read 4,247,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedgehog_Mom View Post
One of my kids had an illness caused by a tick bite. Not Lyme, but a different one. She had pretty bad side effects with the Doxy but the doctor was sure the effects of not treating the infection with doxycycline would be worse than the side effects, so she just had to suffer through it.
What were the side effects? An itchy rash and GI problems? And/or what else?

Do you know if the disease being treated was Rocky Mountain Spotted Fever?

Also what city was the tick bite near? Did you see the actual tick, and/or the mark it left?

Old 11-23-2016, 02:06 AM

11,495 posts, read 26,859,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eok View Post

Also what city was the tick bite near? Did you see the actual tick, and/or the mark it left?
San Antonio. It was a small brown tick that bit her on the lower back and the symptoms showed up a few weeks later. She had red spots on the palms of her hands that looked like they were under the skin and fatigue. A blood test confirmed "non specific rickettsial disease" which her pediatrician said was transmitted by ticks. He told us to treat our dogs and our house. My dogs got the spot treatment every month and I didn't see any ticks on them but my nearest neighbor had way too many dogs and you could see the ticks hanging on them through the fence.

The side effects from the antibiotic were severe nausea and a yeast infection (which was really unpleasant to treat in a kid that age). I can't remember if she had other problems with it, I just remember calling the doctor about the nausea and he was very clear that she needed to stay on that antibiotic. He had always been willing to switch meds if she had a problem, so I trusted his judgement and made her take them.

I told my neighbor about my daughter getting sick from the tick bite and he found homes for four of his dogs, treated the other two for ticks and had an exterminator come out, which was good.

Old 11-23-2016, 07:23 AM

10,599 posts, read 17,886,038 times
Quote:
Have you ever tried Florastor and/or other probiotics when you take an antibiotic that causes GI problems? They can in some cases make a big difference. Especially Florastor, because it's a kind of fungus, which is immune to the most powerful antibiotics. It's sold over the counter, for around $1 per daily capsule. You can also take other probiotics at the same time, to help even more. Most of them are bacteria, not fungus. And there are various foods that have the right bacteria in them to help a little, such as yogurt. Even milk will help a little. The key is to get the right bacteria growing in your intestines, which are killed by the antibiotic, which is why you have to get them growing again or growing more to replace the ones that get killed. But in any case, ask a doctor. I'm only explaining what I think I understand, but might have it wrong.
Thanks. Yeah this was back in 2000 before I ever heard of probiotics.

I totally agree with everything you wrote.

Old 11-23-2016, 07:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedgehog_Mom View Post
Thanks, yeah I understand both points of view. I guess absorbing a fraction of the right a/b is better than absorbing 100% of the wrong one.

Your daughter was lucky with her side effects. Mine was projectile severe diarrhea and even water would be a problem. But my system is a little finicky with a/b anyway. I've been allergic to the penicillins since I was a kid with the anaphylactic problem.I would have been fine with nausea since I was nauseous my entire pregnancy LOL.

Old 11-23-2016, 07:38 AM

Quote:

In my case with the suspected Lyme, I was at work and scratched the back of my knee and felt something raised and damp.

There was a bulls eye and swelling and a little rashy. I had been doing gardening for a month in Bucks County PA.

So I went to the Dr and they did a titre blood test - which was really only a rule-in help - not a definitive DX.

It could have been a spider bite or something for all I know. Because I'm pretty sure you can't see deer ticks and the fact that it was "wet" I don't think really fits the profile.

The only reason I really knew about it was from a few of my pet store clients who reported their dogs getting paralyzed after getting the live Lyme vax. This was in 2000.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness