Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2017, 09:07 AM

14,249 posts, read 17,887,181 times

Advertisements

I have a large stomach even though I am not heavily overweight (6'2", 230 lbs) and I drink relatively little beer. It just seems that the stomach is where my body chooses to store fat. Does it bother me? Sometimes. Would I like to lose some weight? Yep 20 lbs would be great. Is it a burning issue? Absolutely not and certainly not enough to forego all the nice things I like to eat and drink.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2017, 09:15 AM

11,936 posts, read 13,053,397 times
I work out a lot and also drink a lot of beer. I do not have a beer gut.

I also occasionally eat chips and dip.

It isn't one or the other.

Moderation is your friend.

Old 01-28-2017, 09:15 AM

18,762 posts, read 11,755,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bell235 View Post
but for some people eating healthy and exercising is enjoyable... it doesn't have to be dreadful. for people not to find ONE exercise that they like baffles me. hiking? going for a walk? a sport like basketball? tennis? lifting weights? i genuinely enjoy going to the gym majority of the time. so i don't think it has to be: caring about health = miserable; not caring = enjoying life. i don't think it's that black and white.

IMO, being able to move (run, jump, walk, etc) = enjoying life. being stuck on the couch and getting out of breath walking up the stairs = miserable.

Yes this Eating good food is fun but it isn't everything. That endorphin flow I get from riding my bike is just as pleasurable as eating, only it lasts longer. I'm addicted to it. Being able to ice skate and roller skate, and ski are just as pleasurable as eating, and those activities last longer then that food high that needs to be fed more frequently.

Those chocolate covered marshmallow Easter bunnies will be on the shelves soon. They're my nemesis. Yes they look innocent enough with that sappy chocolate face, but they're pure evil. They entice you to indulge the minute those long ears strike the sides of your tongue. You must have another. It's just out of your hands. Will I eat them? Of course. After I eat them I will get on my bike and ride for two or three hours after I walk the dogs for an hour. It's all about balance. Well except when it comes to those evil Satan's spawn marshmallow bunnies. The fat cells will soon be very happy.

Old 01-28-2017, 09:58 AM

1,511 posts, read 1,249,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by animalcrazy View Post
Yes this Eating good food is fun but it isn't everything. That endorphin flow I get from riding my bike is just as pleasurable as eating, only it lasts longer. I'm addicted to it. Being able to ice skate and roller skate, and ski are just as pleasurable as eating, and those activities last longer then that food high that needs to be fed more frequently.

Those chocolate covered marshmallow Easter bunnies will be on the shelves soon. They're my nemesis. Yes they look innocent enough with that sappy chocolate face, but they're pure evil. They entice you to indulge the minute those long ears strike the sides of your tongue. You must have another. It's just out of your hands. Will I eat them? Of course. After I eat them I will get on my bike and ride for two or three hours after I walk the dogs for an hour. It's all about balance. Well except when it comes to those evil Satan's spawn marshmallow bunnies. The fat cells will soon be very happy.
Yes balane is key

I actually wanted to add to my post aftwerwards that obviously if someone OBSESSES about being healthy 100% of the time then they will be miserable. But there is definitely a way to be healthy and enjoy life at the same time. And i never understand why people think its one or the other.

Old 01-28-2017, 12:22 PM

10,931 posts, read 11,692,733 times
I didn't. I felt ashamed and powerless. That was when I weighed about 190 lbs. I am now back to 145 lbs, when i was a senior in high school and a good athlete. I feel so much better about my myself!

Old 01-28-2017, 12:34 PM

23,856 posts, read 13,686,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
All of you who state that those you speak of do not enjoy life really do not know if they do or not.
You do not know their thoughts and feelings, you only see what you want to see and assume the rest.

Some of the healthiest people drop dead, have heart attacks and strokes, get cancer, develop diabetes and they are one of the chosen poster children for perfect health *right next to all of you*.
So how does that happen? What is your explaination for all of these healthy people having this happen to them?

Quit being so quick to blame everything on what you believe is unhealthy and tend to your own pantry.
There's no denying that genes and luck have a lot to do with how long a person lives.

No one here is talking about blaming anyone or interfering with anyone else's life.

The OP talked about a relative of his who overindulged and beat the odds.

The problem is, you can only tell that you've beaten the odds at the end of the race. Convincing yourself while you're in the middle that you will be the one to beat the odds, because your uncle did - well, that's foolish.

FTR, I don't think a person's happiness can be measured by their weight or longevity. I can tell you, though, that unhealthy people have a lot more real problems to be unhappy about.

Old 01-28-2017, 12:42 PM

4,862 posts, read 7,946,415 times
Here is my eye opener. A childhood friend of mine was at work and had a fast beating heart. He was active, not over weight and thought healthy. He was rushed to the hospital and had to be air lifted to another hospital.

Update all within two weeks. His health went down hill. Caught a blood clot in his leg. Leg below knee had to be amputated. Kidneys shut down on dialysis. Found bleeding on brain. On a machine to keep heart pumping.

Eye opener. One day a person can be walking around beer belly dumb and happy the next life could be over as we once knew.

Live the best you can while you can. You never know.

Old 01-28-2017, 03:33 PM

15,936 posts, read 12,238,409 times
Life is random and our bodies frail. Genetics makes things that much more random. Everything in moderation is advice I would give.. that and be careful about stressful or anxious thought patterns... do not let yourself develop an anxiety disorder or chronic stress because that can become wired into your subconscious, or habit forming brain, and then you get anxiety and stress completely at random and it can be hard to control. They need to teach about the human mind and how to reprogram the subconscious in school instead of teaching people how to be sensative snowflakes because that's harmful to one's psychology when actual hardships occur.. people need to be taught to roll with the punches, or to say, that it's not what happens in life, it's how you react to it that counts... acceptance, courage, open mindedness... these should be taught. Fear, stress, withdraw.. these are damaging states. You don't want to become a sympathetic dominant person. You want your parasympathetic running the show.

Old 01-28-2017, 09:28 PM

3,754 posts, read 4,206,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueherons View Post
I work out a lot and also drink a lot of beer. I do not have a beer gut.

I also occasionally eat chips and dip.

It isn't one or the other.

Moderation is your friend.
This.

I have a friend who is a heart surgeon. He sees a lot of overweight people with heart problems, brought on by years of unhealthy eating habits and not enough exercise. Every time he sees them (if they survive anyway) his answer is always the same, eat better, exercise more, take care of yourself, adopt healthy habits.

The smart ones take his advice and change, otherwise they know they won't survive long.

On the other end of the spectrum I have a few friends who are professional bodybuilders, who hit the gym every single day for an hour or more, eat a strict regimen of protein shakes, supplements, etc, while cutting out sugars, fats, etc. In other words, striving for the perfect body is the absolute number one priority to them, and it's the focus of their entire life. That's no way to live either, in my opinion. They don't drink any alcohol, they won't just meet you out for dinner at any old place if the food is too fattening...

Most of us will do just fine if we find a happy medium between the two. Some exercise, some restraint in our diets, and we won't be fat but we won't be a hard body either. We won't be able to run a marathon at the drop of a hat but we won't die of heart disease either.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness