U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2017, 01:19 PM

10,580 posts, read 18,803,517 times

Advertisements

Here is the allergy forum: http://www.city-data.com/forum/allergies/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2017, 03:30 PM

1 posts, read 1,068 times
I just went through that last week. I have Air Optix. Wore them for years. Then developed sandpaper eyes, painful, red, blurry. I only wear one contact and the pain was only in that eye. I don't have seasonal allergies. Dr. first put me on prednisone (sp) drops to get inflammation down. Didn't keep it away. I had in the past changed solution. It worked a short while, but then got worse. Dr. has now diagnosed GPC and said I'm allergic to the contacts and I need a different kind. She prescribed Dailies by Alcon. I fell off my seat when I went from $78 a year to $242 for one eye!! Is there anything out there cheaper? Or has anyone changed to a different monthly with no problems anymore?

Old 08-30-2017, 03:40 PM

1 posts, read 1,006 times
Default Wish I would have seen this sooner

I can't believe somebody is having the same problem that I am. I have worn air optix for years !!!! All of a sudden my eyes are so irritated by them. I tried to put the contacts into my solution for a couple days before I wear them....thinking I might be suddenly allergic to what they were storing the contacts in. Still irritate my eyes for the first 4 or 5 days i wear the new ones. I told the eye doctor about it and since I live in a high allergy state and it was Spring, he said it was allergies. Now I am stuck with a whole years worth of these contacts. I will probably have to go back to the eye doctor. I am thinking air optix has changed something because I have worn these contacts for at least 3 years or more. Not happy, but glad it's not just me. I kept thinking I must be doing somethimg different.

Old 08-30-2017, 06:33 PM

255 posts, read 110,702 times
I am having the same issues with air optix, I have been wearing them for years as well. I am getting the grainy irritating feeling. I thought it was because I was getting old. Maybe something has changed with the lenses. I am currently trying out some dailies and love them.

Old 09-07-2017, 11:54 AM

1 posts, read 964 times
Next year it will be 40 yrs been wearing contacts; thought there was something wrong w/my eyes since I'm now in early 60s. Nope, turns out after reading all these posts I have the EXACT SAME SYMPTOMS as everyone else wearing Air-Optix contact lenses; was a SoftColors wearer for 30 years or so, before Air-Optix, before they were discontinued, best contacts ever! I get itchy eyes, discharge, redness, sand paper feeling after taking them out. Been to multiple eye dr appts over this, should've checked the internet sooner! Will be going back to the eye dr to see what else I can get instead and get a credit off of the unused ones hopefully. Thanks everyone!

Old 09-07-2017, 03:34 PM

947 posts, read 826,486 times
Me too! I wore Air Optix for years without problems. Two years ago I went back to glasses due to the exact same symptoms everyone else is reporting. Since I have numerous allergies anyway, the eye doc thought it was just me, or so he said then. I've been allergic to other brands in the distant past but the Air Optix were fine. I have an appointment in November with a new eye doc - hopefully there will be a solution. I started wearing contacts when I was 16 and I'm now 71. So it's not like this is my first rodeo. I only need them for distance and it's so frustrating to have the annoyance of glasses after all these years.

Thanks to all of you . . . you've given me the momentum to keep pursuing this. Obviously I'm not alone.

Old 09-17-2017, 09:24 AM

220 posts, read 401,041 times
I wore Air Optix for Astigmatism for 7 or so years and my last boxes were unwearable. I switched to Coopervision and will never purchase an Alcon product again.

Old 10-04-2017, 10:49 PM

1 posts, read 840 times
I have the same problem and think there may be a bad batch of the Air Optics Aqua Multifocals. I bought mine online and had the same allergic reaction everyone has described. My eye doctor then gave me a pair to try and sure enough, the allergic reaction went away. I went back to the mail order batch and immediately had the reaction again. If you still have your box, can you check to see if it is Lot 10340482?

Old 10-16-2017, 07:51 AM

1 posts, read 791 times
I'm having the same allergic reaction. I went to a doctor, followed a treatment, wore only glasses for a while, went back to Air Optix Hydraglyde and the reaction appeared again in 2 hours! Itchiness, sand in my eyes. I've been wearing Air Optix for about 5 years I think, but when switching to the new "improved" version - Hydraglyde - I got this problem. I thought it's me, I should have searched the internet sooner. Thank you guys for posting!
I've read somewhere else that it might be a problem with those made in Malaysia. Mine were made there, lot no 10327376.
Mihaela.

Old 10-16-2017, 10:40 PM

947 posts, read 826,486 times
Great info. Thanks. My next eye doc appointment is next month and I'm going to ask more questions since I'm now armed with much more info. I've already thrown out the old contacts - they were long since expired since they were from two years ago so no way to know where they were made. What are you going to do now?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or