U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-24-2017, 02:30 PM

1 posts, read 455 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkster742 View Post
I have worn contacts for 30 years and just recently have been put in Air Optix. Ever since I started using this brand, o can no longer wear my contacts for more than 2 hours without terrible itching and blurred vision. My eyes were so damaged that I had to start on prednisone drops just to calm the reaction down. Once I healed up, I tried the Air Optix again and same reaction. I can't even try any different brands until my eyes calm down.

I had the same issue! I am currently on those same eye drops and my left eye has permanent damage from these now. I am using the drops to try to get some of the blurriness in my vision to go away but I won't be able to wear contacts ever again because the damage is so severe. At this point I'm just hoping to be able to get some of my vision back. I am 27 and cannot even drive at night with glasses on because my vision is so distorted.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2018, 09:07 PM

2 posts, read 629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmcoleman View Post
I had the same issue! I am currently on those same eye drops and my left eye has permanent damage from these now. I am using the drops to try to get some of the blurriness in my vision to go away but I won't be able to wear contacts ever again because the damage is so severe. At this point I'm just hoping to be able to get some of my vision back. I am 27 and cannot even drive at night with glasses on because my vision is so distorted.
I've got something similar going on. My vision has been permanently altered as well.

My story starts in August of 2017. I went to my optometrist for my yearly eye exam and they decided to change my prescription from Air Optix Night & Day to Air Optix HydraGlide. After a month of wearing the new contacts from the samples given during the apointment; I put in a fresh pair from the ones I ordered.

Within a day my eyes were unbearably irritated. Red, puffy, itchy. It caused me to constantly blink which just made it worse. I went back to the optometrist 4-5 different times. They tried multiple different brands of contacts and my eyes rejected every one of them. I even went back to Air Optix Night & Day and they also irritate my eyes within 2 hours of putting them in.

I am 35 and have been wearing monthly disposables since I was 15 and never had an issue.

I have been wearing glasses all the time now, but I have noticed my vision has changed. I am going to go in for another eye exam to see if my prescription has changed even though it has been stable since I was 20 years old.

Old 02-11-2018, 09:09 PM

2 posts, read 629 times
I also went to an ophthalmologist. Who said it may be dry eyes. He gave me an allergy drop and punctal plugs to help provide more moisture.

No luck.

Old 05-18-2018, 02:00 PM

1 posts, read 175 times
I wore non-silicon hydrogel lenses for 35 years. I slept in them, and at the end of the month, threw the pair away and put in a fresh pair for another 30 days. I had no problems. Doctor switched me to silicon hydrogel AirOptix because of the better transmission of oxygen. Within 1 year, I developed an allergy to the lenses. At first we thought it might be the soaking solutions, but it wasn't, it was the siiicon hydrogels. They caused sudden giant papillary conjunctivitis. This is basically small welts on the inside of your eyelids. This causes the contacts to move around, and causes your eyes to itch and matter. You feel like it is seasonal allergies but it is a reaction to the lenses. It took 4 weeks to calm down my eyes with prednisone drops. The doctor then prescribed non-silicon hydrogels. (Dailies AquaComfort Plus Multifocal) The problems went away. I can no longer sleep in my contacts, but at least I can still wear contact lenses.

One year after successfully wearing Dailies AquaComfort Plus Multifocal, the doctor wanted to have me try a lens that transmitted more oxygen. She put me in Dailies Total 1 Multifocal which are a new water gradient lens. These happen to be silicon hydrogel, and transmit 3X the oxygen. The thought was that these lenses would be more comfortable when I wear them for 18 hours. Within 10 days of trying these lenses, the giant papillary conjunctivitis came back. These are daily disposables, so this had nothing to do with lens solutions, but was the materials of the lens - silicon hydrogel.

After doing some web research, as many as 25% of silicon hydrogel wearers develop problems or allergies to the lenses. If you suddenly have allergic reactions to your lenses, check to see what the lens is made of, and talk to your eye doctor about trying a different lens.

Old 05-18-2018, 04:21 PM

939 posts, read 807,044 times
Thank you! This is so helpful. I'll check in with my eye doc and see if I can try the Dailies AquaComfort Plus Multifocal. It's worth a try. I'm fine with daily disposables . . . better than no contacts at all.

Old 05-22-2018, 01:13 PM

1 posts, read 141 times
I switched away from this brand onto a new one that worked mcuh better for me. Also I tried a few different contact solutions and one of them has been way better for my eyes. Using biofinity contacts with Opti-Free solution. It took me a couple weeks of rest and a couple weeks to work into these contacts and they are much better. I wear them full days now.

Old 05-30-2018, 08:34 PM

1 posts, read 110 times
I have worn contacts for 35 years for distance. In the last 3 years I had to switch to Alcon Air Optix multifocal lenses to help with reading vision. It feels like I have a tear on my lenses and I put up with this for 6 months and finally it was time for my eye exam. My doctor told me I had a severe reaction to the material that these lenses were made of. She told me it was like I had cobblestones on my eyelids and to stop wearing these lenses. I have been trying to find another multifocal lense made with a different material for 2 months with no luck. Beware of these lenses do not use them. I have had to put medicine in my eyes for 2 months to get rid of the allergic reaction.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or