U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-30-2017, 02:53 PM

1,113 posts, read 949,618 times

Advertisements

I've been wearing Air Optix contact lenses, which are the silicone hydrogel type, for over 3 years now. They were perfect and didn't cause any problems, other than a 1 month period of my eyes "getting used" to silicone hydrogel lenses.

Fast forward to now, and my eyes are itchy, dry, tearing and cannot wear contacts. I give my eyes a few days break and then it's back to the itchy and dry eyes once I put the Air Optix back in. I've been using Alaway drops to help with the itchiness.

I figured it was just an allergy that will pass, but I now I don't know. At the last optometrist appointment, he gave me B&L Biotrue one day lenses for a trial, which are dailies and non-silicone hydrogel I believe. I still had samples, so I put them in my eyes and no problems at all! I can even go from itchy, unbearable eyes, take out the Air Optix, and after 2 hours put the Biotrues in and no problem.

Did anyone go through a similar sudden allergy to silicone hydrogel lenses when they didn't have a problem previously?
Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2017, 05:07 PM

27,325 posts, read 17,525,976 times
I became allergic to the saline solution, not the contacts. I changed to a different type and I as good to go!
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum (on loan)

Old 01-31-2017, 07:15 AM

9,278 posts, read 8,701,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
I became allergic to the saline solution, not the contacts. I changed to a different type and I as good to go!
Good advice! Sometimes people become sensitive/allergic to the preservatives used in eye care solutions.

Old 01-31-2017, 08:42 AM

21,405 posts, read 22,620,210 times
It might be the lenses, or you might have a dry eye condition, not an allergy. You should ask your doctor about an eye drop regimen.

Old 01-31-2017, 09:09 AM

5,484 posts, read 3,329,778 times
It's entirely possible to suddenly develop an allergy/sensitivity to either your lenses or the solution. I have had a similar problem a couple of times. The first time, I was able to solve the problem by changing solutions (I now use BioTrue). The second time, my optometrist recommended Acuvue Oasis lenses for dry eyes. I've been wearing those for some years now with no further problems.

Could you try a different lens solution for a short time and see if it helps? If it doesn't, and the BioTrue lenses work better for you, by all means switch to them.

Old 02-02-2017, 10:44 AM

Thanks, I'll try changing the brand of the lens solution first. I just found it odd I suddenly developed a problem, but looks like sudden allergies do develop even though I was "used" to it.

I'll try that before buying Biotrue, which are daily contacts. I guess dailies have dropped in price in recent years, I'm looking at almost $550-600 for a year supply I think!

Old 02-20-2017, 06:07 PM

Update: I tried changing to 2 different brands of solution, and my Air Optix remain very uncomfortable. I can actually "feel" the lens in the eye and it's very uncomfortable. The comfort level changes throughout the day. When I take out my lenses before bed, my eyes feel very tired, and by morning there is some "crustiness" in the corner of the eye.

I ran out of Biotrue daily samples, so basically ordered a 6 month supply now to see if this will take care of the problem. Biotrue dailies are a combination material. We'll see.

Old 02-20-2017, 06:20 PM

14,662 posts, read 18,703,154 times
I thought I was the only one who had that problem. I wore contacts with no problems for about 10 years. Then one day I took out the lenses and lay down for a short nap. When I woke up, I put the lenses back in and, OMG, they were so uncomfortable I couldnt wear them. I tried different brands of contacts but had to go back to wearing glasses -- until I was finally able to have lasik surgery.

Old 06-05-2017, 10:21 PM

1 posts, read 5,328 times
I'm having a terrible problem with Air Optics Aqua Multifocals. Wore them for years and the past year had ongoing issues with itchy, sandpaper feeling in both eyes after contacts put in, weepy and crusty eyes, blurred vision, some strange film that keeps appearing on both lenses and won't go away. Can only tolerate the pain a couple hours, and take them out to have dry watery burning red eyes that continue to get crusty and feel like they've been scraped with sandpaper. Can't afford the glasses I'd have to get due to my prescription, so I'm in a predicament. Just hoping these contacts haven't permanently damaged my eyes.

Old 06-29-2017, 10:01 AM

1 posts, read 5,234 times
I have worn contacts for 30 years and just recently have been put in Air Optix. Ever since I started using this brand, o can no longer wear my contacts for more than 2 hours without terrible itching and blurred vision. My eyes were so damaged that I had to start on prednisone drops just to calm the reaction down. Once I healed up, I tried the Air Optix again and same reaction. I can't even try any different brands until my eyes calm down.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or