Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2017, 08:12 PM

560 posts, read 449,501 times

Advertisements

I just saw my doctor for a cold that was lasting almost two weeks. She said the cold virus this year is lasting longer than normal and is taking some people two to three weeks to recover from. I am finally getting my nose to clear and just lost my cough.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2017, 06:43 AM

77,772 posts, read 104,160,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jvmillion83 View Post
Last weekend I came down with a cold. People get colds all the time so like every year I battled it out throughout the last week. I took clartin D a few nights and another few nights I took some Nyquil. By the end of the weekend, my cough died down but I still had a lot of congestion. Despite lying around all weekend and taking it easy, I felt weak and light headed all day today. I'm going to bed early again tonight but I don't remember having a cold lasting more than a week. Being in the Northeast isn't helping either as the temperature just dropped about 15 degrees in the last day.
There is a bug going around: lot really the flu or a cold. It is similar to a cold, but the cough and being tired can last a month. We have seen a lot of it around here the past month or so. I came down with it 2 weeks ago. Am just now able to sleep all night without meds or coughing. My energy is finally coming back.
The flu as we know it always comes with a fever. If you don't have one, you just have what we are all talking about: some virus that has to work its way out of your system.

Old 02-04-2017, 06:47 AM

77,772 posts, read 104,160,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
I am in Texas and there's been a nasty cold type thing going around here too that lasts for a month or more. In fact, I got it the first week in December and it laid me really low, with a fever and chills and terrible congestion, for a solid week, then I was still stopped up and sickly feeling for another week, and THEN I lost my voice completely for another five days or so. I'm still occasionally coughing and occasionally stopped up and it's what - nearly two months now? And lots of other people got the same thing around here and have been remarking about how long it takes to get completely over it. I wouldn't know - I'm still not completely over it.

And this was with going to the doctor, getting on antibiotics, getting a shot in my butt, resting completely for a week (my doctor said, "Go home and get in the bed"). So yeah it's bad.
Our granddaughter is a nurse practitioner at an urgent care facility here: She saw 37 patients one day last week. Most with pretty much the same thing.

Old 02-04-2017, 01:38 PM

6,954 posts, read 11,990,093 times
I had it too. Started with a sore throat, stuffy nose, feeling out of sorts, no energy, etc. After a week, started coughing, lost my voice, got bronchitis and a deep deep cough with tons of mucus. After another week, using a vaporizer at night, cough syrup, acetominophen and rest, I started to feel much better. The whole thing was about 3 weeks total.

Old 02-04-2017, 06:53 PM

14,313 posts, read 14,110,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jvmillion83 View Post
Last weekend I came down with a cold. People get colds all the time so like every year I battled it out throughout the last week. I took clartin D a few nights and another few nights I took some Nyquil. By the end of the weekend, my cough died down but I still had a lot of congestion. Despite lying around all weekend and taking it easy, I felt weak and light headed all day today. I'm going to bed early again tonight but I don't remember having a cold lasting more than a week. Being in the Northeast isn't helping either as the temperature just dropped about 15 degrees in the last day.
If you can stand doing it, wait a couple of more days and see if you feel any better.

If you don't, go to the doctor. You may have a sinus infection and need an antibiotic. Or, you could have a case of the flu that doesn't want to let up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness