Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2017, 04:35 AM

10,746 posts, read 26,015,105 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forever Blue View Post
I was at my doctor's office the longest I've ever been in my life! I didn't have the chance to ask what to do to help cease it the moment you have bronchitis. I was busy trying to have them get to the bottom of what I needed done because even the dr was wondering why I was still suffering 3 wks later.

To read more of what she said, look here:
http://www.city-data.com/forum/healt...l#post47277123
Bronchitis will last for weeks...the cough is the last thing to go.

This year, in my area, norovirus and Bronchitis are the illnesses to avoid. We have a lot of snowbirds and once they showed up, so did the sickness. We've had some flu cases, but nothing compared to the numbers of norovirus and bronchitis.

As a health care worker I beg you not to go to the ED unless it's a true emergency..go to Urgent Care or any walk in clinic. I wish we could turn non emergency cases away but we can't. So we triage them and sometimes after sitting for hours on end, they take the hint and leave.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2017, 08:38 AM

12,773 posts, read 14,974,016 times
Kim in FL, the odd thing is, I haven't had ANY of the symptoms that usually or may accompany bronchitis, so NO cold, flu, cough, sore throat, runny nose. I haven't had that in about a year.

What prompted me to go to the ER was the feeling of a closed-up throat & it was very scary, esp. since I never had that in my life & I tell ya, in these last 3 wks, I've had a couple of scary occasions like that in which it was late at night & I literally thought, "What if I needed 911 because of the way I'm feeling right now with not being able to breathe well?!" Fortunately, those times turned out well.

So I resent you telling me when I should or should not go to the ER. You don't know what's I'm feeling. I actually was at the urgent care first, but they were moving so slowly, I figured if I'm going to wait, I might as well at the ER. And I'll go to the ER again if I feel the need to. You tell your family & friends not to go. Since you're such the "expert" & all, maybe they'll skip going to the ER & just listen to you & they'll be a-OK.

Old 02-24-2017, 08:01 PM

6,957 posts, read 12,058,216 times
So, if it's not bronchitis, no cold or flu, then you either have a stricture of the esophagas or are allergic to something. Do you have acid reflux? Does food get stuck in your throat when you eat? Sounds like you need to see a gastroenterologist and get an endoscopy done. The ER isn't the place to go. They will look at you and say "Sit over there" and you will wait for the more serious patients to get help first. I agree with the person who said use the Urgent Care or Walk in Clinic.

Old 02-25-2017, 06:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forever Blue View Post
Kim in FL, the odd thing is, I haven't had ANY of the symptoms that usually or may accompany bronchitis, so NO cold, flu, cough, sore throat, runny nose. I haven't had that in about a year.

What prompted me to go to the ER was the feeling of a closed-up throat & it was very scary, esp. since I never had that in my life & I tell ya, in these last 3 wks, I've had a couple of scary occasions like that in which it was late at night & I literally thought, "What if I needed 911 because of the way I'm feeling right now with not being able to breathe well?!" Fortunately, those times turned out well.

So I resent you telling me when I should or should not go to the ER. You don't know what's I'm feeling. I actually was at the urgent care first, but they were moving so slowly, I figured if I'm going to wait, I might as well at the ER. And I'll go to the ER again if I feel the need to. You tell your family & friends not to go. Since you're such the "expert" & all, maybe they'll skip going to the ER & just listen to you & they'll be a-OK.
If you have no 'cold like' symptoms, then you probably had a panic attack, acid reflux, or have GERD.

You can resent me all you want, but you won't be treated as a true emergency unless you are a true emergency and trust me, you weren't an emergency. Urgent Care would've helped you out for about 1/8 of the cost of the ED.

I never said I was an expert and yes, my family and friends do call me before heading to the ED....no need to clog up the ED, ring up a huge bill, and take care from someone who truly needs because YOU think you need emergency care.

Old 02-25-2017, 07:07 PM

15,129 posts, read 32,318,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhxBarb View Post
So, if it's not bronchitis, no cold or flu, then you either have a stricture of the esophagas or are allergic to something. Do you have acid reflux? Does food get stuck in your throat when you eat? Sounds like you need to see a gastroenterologist and get an endoscopy done. The ER isn't the place to go. They will look at you and say "Sit over there" and you will wait for the more serious patients to get help first. I agree with the person who said use the Urgent Care or Walk in Clinic.
This above is what you need to do. If it feels like food is sticking in your throat, you probably have dysphagia. Have your primary doctor give you a referral to a gastroenterologist about having an endoscopy correct it.

Old 02-26-2017, 02:04 PM

12,773 posts, read 14,974,016 times
It only felt like food stuck in throat that one night ever in which the feeling remained for 1-2 hrs and that's it. Probably due to the (bronchitis) inflammation of the bronchi & probably a bit inflamed up to the trachea as well, which leaves a more cramped feeling in the throat, so I had that feeling/sensation when I was swallowing.

I ate fine the last day or two after that feeling.

Old 06-15-2017, 06:02 PM

12,477 posts, read 17,791,113 times
Default reviving this thread rather than start a new one

my friend/co worker has bronchitis and has been to Urgent Care (3 weeks ago) finished up her predisone,cough syrup and antibiotic and still the cough lingers. It's driving her and the rest of us crazy. How much longer should a cough linger???

Old 06-16-2017, 05:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PippySkiddles View Post
my friend/co worker has bronchitis and has been to Urgent Care (3 weeks ago) finished up her predisone,cough syrup and antibiotic and still the cough lingers. It's driving her and the rest of us crazy. How much longer should a cough linger???
Three weeks is the norm....she might continue to cough at night for another week or more. It's a pain in the arse for sure.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness