Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2017, 11:42 AM

508 posts, read 527,120 times

Advertisements

How to STOP Bronchitis early on ?
==========================

Thanks for replies to my posting.

Started with a sore throat, stuffy nose, feeling out of sorts, no energy, etc. progressed to chess congestion, unproductive coughing. As I research on internet, it point to bronchitis . Some says use cough medication, others says do not. I find that if it lasts more than three weeks, advice to talk to physician.

Three weeks is long time to live with dry cough.

Is there a way STOP the progression early on in sore throat, stuffy nose, feeling out of sorts, no energy stage?

If I go to OTC area, there are many items, I am not sure what works?

Are there any home remedies, to help?

Thanks for sharing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2017, 02:16 PM

12,773 posts, read 14,974,016 times
I was going to start a bronchitis thread today!

I've been diagnosed w/ Viral Bronchitis for the 1st time in my life on Feb 1st when I went to the ER after having my sinus congestion & closed throat feeling for 2 days, so I went rather quickly. It's scary when you're having a hard time breathing!
I know nothing about this ailment. I haven't had any cold, runny nose, cough, sneeze, flu, etc. in about a year PLUS I have no allergies, asthma, or any other respiratory issues. So I don't know how I even got this. I'm not around people really on a regular basis.

I was prescribed a generic form of flonase (nasal spray) and zirtec (pill). I don't know how well they're helping. I guess they help temporarily for 2-3 hrs after I take them and overall I think the pill dried up the mucous-feeling in the throat, but I still have a kind of closed-throat feeling, which was/is a pretty scary feeling. I guess I'm getting gradually better each day.

I can still talk & eat OK, thank God, but actually if I talk fast even for a bit, I do feel a little winded. I've been using a cool-mist humidifier for the last few days. I don't feel an obvious difference, but I'm sure it helps.

I'll still go to my regular doctor in which I have an appt in a few more wks & I want her to run all kinds of tests...unless I can bump it up sooner.

Here's the thread I started about it:
Any Input While Waiting for my Dr. Appt. ??

Last edited by Forever Blue; 02-05-2017 at 02:25 PM..

Old 02-06-2017, 07:20 PM

6,957 posts, read 12,058,216 times
Bronchitis requires mucus thinning guaifenasin, either in pill form or in cough syrup. You don't want to dry up the mucus, you want to thin it and cough it up and a vaporizer will help too. It takes about 2 weeks with rest, proper treatment and humidity to get over this ailment.

Old 02-07-2017, 07:13 PM

Good to know, thanks PhxBarb.

I hope the 2 meds I was given Flonase & Zirtec are all I need to get rid of it. Last night was a scary feeling, like my throat was closing up on me and like I was running out of air & I was opening the window & putting on the humidifier on full blast. The feeling went away in about 1 - 1.5 hrs. I don't like this!

I was literally thinking...OMG, it's like 11pm at night & I hope I don't pass out here because I can't get enough air to breathe! I was literally praying that I wouldn't have to dial 911!

Old 02-08-2017, 09:38 AM

6,957 posts, read 12,058,216 times
Don't be afraid to dial 911. That's what they are there for. Any scary situation like yours only gets worse when you are alone. So call the nice guys to come help you.

Old 02-09-2017, 11:13 AM

1,248 posts, read 2,166,344 times
Shouldn't you also be on antibiotics for Bronchitis? Does it depend on what type you have? I avoid taking antibiotics if at all possible because I believe they are overly prescribed, but I realize that in some cases they are necessary. I avoided seeing my doctor a couple of years ago for bronchitis because I wanted to try to just use OTC meds. It ended up turning into pneumonia, so if you are getting worse after treating at home you should probably see your doctor.

Old 02-09-2017, 11:27 AM

32,932 posts, read 36,341,370 times
Antibiotics aren't going to help if it's a viral infection.

Old 02-09-2017, 11:52 AM

1,248 posts, read 2,166,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
Antibiotics aren't going to help if it's a viral infection.
Ah, I see. Thanks for answering my question.

Old 02-09-2017, 08:23 PM

I finally started feeling better yesterday, 2/8! I'm still planning to see my dr to have tests run.

I'm still a bit puzzled how someone who's never had bronchitis ever before & hasn't had a cold/flu, etc. in a year & doesn't come into contact with hardly any people on a regular basis got this like all of a sudden. I mean I felt a new symptom in like 1 day!

But, never any fever, cough, sore throat, or drippy nose.

Old 02-09-2017, 10:35 PM

2,914 posts, read 2,687,743 times
Acute bronchitis is the worst. Very gradual recovery. Now years my throat gets tickled often such as from just talking, I think from scar tissue in there. Doing something like singing causes me to want to cough.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness