Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-17-2017, 03:08 AM

18,780 posts, read 18,133,005 times

Advertisements

What I love about getting older is finding out 'problems' that I never knew I had or never heard about. We all know that age can give us cataracts. Many of us don't know that age can also be responsible for vitreous detachment and it's effect on our vision - even if the flashing lights are temporary.

About two months ago I went to get my CDL physical renewed. Because of the changing requirements no medical doctors in my area now give the CDL physical; just a chiropractor. She did give me a very thorough exam and in doing so found what she told me was a hernia. Then my blood pressure was also high so she could not pass me until I got it under control - which I did with a follow-up to my GP. I don't know if my blood pressure was high because I thought that I would now need surgery for the hernia? But, at least, I am now on a mild prescription of Losartan and my blood pressure came down.

My GP looked at my 'hernia', laughed, and told me it was nothing to worry about - that many have this condition and that I should simply loose weight and it might go away. I don't know how many of you ever saw the movie 'Alien'? There is one scene in one of those films that shows a giant, carnivorous, grub eating it's way out of somebody'd stomach - this approaches that condition! But; I think I will live!

In reading the information about this condition; it sounds fairly common. I just did not know that. It also says that even babies can have the condition and that it is very common with pregnant women. Male weight lifters can also have the problem and I did lift lots of weight when I was young.

I did want to start a thread on this in case somebody is not aware and all of a sudden they have a new pooch on their stomach when they sit up in bed. It will not be the end of the world; but you might not be featured doing sit-ups in a muscle building magazine.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness