Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2008, 07:39 PM

775 posts, read 578,894 times

Advertisements

Actually I swear by it. When I take it I don't get a cold; when I don't I get the cold - all pertains to my 18 month old granddaughter.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2008, 08:18 PM

1,356 posts, read 6,026,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Briolat21 View Post
Well, if the company admitted to fraud - and is going to refund money... that kind of cements the fact that the product doesn't work.

If it worked - it wouldn't be fraud. And - no refund.
This is not true. They are paying the fine and refunding the money because they made drug claims.

By law, supplements are allowed to make substantiated "structure-function" claims. That is why you see phrases like "supports a health immune system" and "promotes health joints." Supplement companies are not allowed to say things like "cures or prevents the common cold" or "reduces inflammation." Airborne claimed the product "cured the common cold in 1 hour" or something similar to that.

Old 03-06-2008, 11:16 PM

12,229 posts, read 21,500,274 times
I've taken airborne the way the package suggested several times over the last few years -- when I felt I was getting sick, and before airplane rides.

I've gotten bad colds several times anyway! I think it's pretty accurate to say it's just a very expensive multi-vitamin.

Is anyone here actually attempting to get the refund? I scanned an article about it, and who actually saves receipts for this sort of thing? It's probably more trouble than it's worth even if I had the receipts...

Old 03-06-2008, 11:39 PM

1,316 posts, read 5,788,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by b75 View Post
Um that is a bit of a simplification. You aren't going to obtain the levels of C & D that they have in these supplements from an orange or the sun..
EXACTLY!!!
Airborne is excellent and DOES work - but so does Emergen-C! Just as well in fact! The trick is the quick shot of 1000mg of C.
It amazes me that some people don't know this!!!
I mean, of course there are going to be exceptions!
If you're kissing someone with a bad cold & you haven't slept and are under stress & have a sh*tty diet, it might not help.
But if you're around sick people and have a decent immune system - meaning you get decent sleep most of the time & eat a decent amount of fruits & veggies most of the time, then that mass dose of C will help you out if you're near lots of germs on one of your off days.
There are those who'll get sick anyway cause they just don't take care of themselves, & there are those who won't get sick even without the boost of C cause they have a strong immune system. But for the most part, the decently healthy will benefit from this.
And there in lies the prob for Airborne...
Most people are NOT decently healthy!!!
I don't remember them making any outrageous claims...?
Was this recent?
All they said is it helps prevent colds. Which it does.
And lessens the severity & duration. Which it does.
I guess it should've said "unless you're the average moron who'll think you can stay up all night, eat junk food, go out in the cold with wet hair & no jacket, sit in air conditioning with sick people breathing on you and think that Airborne can help you"!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Duh.

Old 03-07-2008, 07:22 AM

4,729 posts, read 19,426,355 times
Your body can only properly absorb 200mg of C per day. Anything more and the kidneys work extra hard to filter it.

Nobody is going after Cold-eeze or Zicam. You know why? Because they are proven to work. Airborne is a waste.

Old 03-07-2008, 08:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by groove1 View Post
Your body can only properly absorb 200mg of C per day. Anything more and the kidneys work extra hard to filter it.

Nobody is going after Cold-eeze or Zicam. You know why? Because they are proven to work. Airborne is a waste.
Where did you get the 200 mg figure? I have never heard of that before. I seriously doubt that is true.

Cold-eeze and Zicam have studies to back up their claims. Airborne did not conduct a study that held up under scrutiny. But once again, if they made claims that were allowed for a dietary supplement (structure/function claims) then there would be no basis for a fine or lawsuit against them.

Effervescence is a very quick way to deliver nutrients or drugs. If you want to try it out, next time you have a cold try Alka-Seltzer Cold and Sinus effervescence and see how much better it works than a Sudafed tablet.

Old 03-07-2008, 09:03 AM

Vitamin C: How Much Do You Really Need?

"The second study, performed by James Dwyer, PhD, an epidemiologist at the University of Southern California, caused an even bigger stir. Dwyer told an American Heart Association meeting in March 2000 that middle-aged men who took 500 milligrams of vitamin C supplements daily showed a rapid narrowing of their carotid arteries, which supply blood to the brain. "

Vitamin C and Colds

"In a July 2007 study, researchers wanted to discover whether taking 200 milligrams or more of vitamin C daily could reduce the frequency, duration, or severity of a cold. After reviewing 60 years of clinical research, they found that when taken after a cold starts, vitamin C supplements do not make a cold shorter or less severe. When taken daily, vitamin C very slightly shorted cold duration -- by 8% in adults and by 14% in children.

But researchers found the most effect on people who were in extreme conditions, such as marathon runners. In this group, taking vitamin C cut their risk of catching a cold in half.

So what does all this mean?

The average adult who suffers with a cold for 12 days a year would still suffer for 11 days a year if that person took a high dose of vitamin C every day during that year.

For the average child who suffers about 28 days of cold illness a year, taking daily high-dose vitamin C would still mean 24 days of cold illness.

When vitamin C was tested for treatment of colds in 7 separate studies, vitamin C was no more effective than placebo at shortening the duration of cold symptoms."

Vitamin C Can't Cure Common Cold

"A better way to prevent the common cold: regular and careful hand washing, especially during cold season."

Old 03-07-2008, 09:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by groove1 View Post
Thanks for the links. Glad to see you have something to back up what you posted.

Every few years there is a new study about Vitamin C and the conclusions go back and forth.

Old 03-07-2008, 09:29 AM

7,841 posts, read 18,995,793 times
SuziSu wrote:
Man! I just stick with what I know. Vitamin C, Tea with lemon and Honey, and lots of garlic. It kills EVERYTHING in my book!
Good for you. You're body is probably very happy about that becasue the focus of those wonderful products is not to kill anything, but rather to strengthen the immune system and prevent illness. Killing and fighting disease is the work of drugs and medicine.

Old 03-07-2008, 11:21 AM

Green Tea does work to keep your immune sytem healthy. Don't put milk or cream in it and if you must sweeten it, use natural cane sugar or local honey (helps with allergies supposedly).

FWIW, I don't take vitamin c or any vitamins and I haven't had a cold or flu in almost 3 years. I wash my hands often and never touch my eyes, nose or mouth. I did have a mild sinus infection in the fall, but that is standard around here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness