Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2017, 02:35 PM

14,078 posts, read 16,607,365 times

Advertisements

Most of you don't care, but this is just a recap for those of you who do. I had my very first appointment today with a pelvic floor physical therapist who specializes in the treatment of vaginismus- which is a condition that makes sexual intercourse and other types of vaginal penetration difficult or impossible. I've had this condition for the majority of my life, but only recently found out that there was a physical therapist in my area who could treat it. People before had suggested psychotherapy and there's nothing wrong with that, but the physical part of the issue needs to be addressed as well, so I thought I'd jump into that (besides, my insurance covers that and not the mental therapy). So I wasn't terribly optimistic about my appointment today since my last gynecological exam two months ago went pretty badly as always and she wasn't able to examine me at all.

So anyway, I went today and popped a little Xanax beforehand which doesn't usually help much, but I figured it was worth a try. To my surprise, this woman was able to get her finger in (which no one has ever done before- not even me), although I did have some discomfort with that. She was also able to insert a small dilator and that didn't hurt at all. I have dilators at home even smaller than that one that I've never been able to use them on my own, so I was pretty impressed with that. The only issue is that I'll need to practice with dilators at home in between appointments and I came home today and tried, and I haven't been successful yet. I mean, thanks to my appointment today, I know it shouldn't be painful but I just have no experience with putting things in there, so maybe I'm aiming for the wrong spot. Yes, I have a mirror but it doesn't help. I'm sure most of the women here went through this when first trying tampons or something, if not before. I just don't see why vaginas have to be so complicated. I am neatly groomed down there, so it's not a matter of me not being able to see what I'm doing.

Anyway, the therapy might take a bit of time to progress to the larger dilator sizes (especially if I'm not able to progress much between appointments), but I at least feel good about the first appointment.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2017, 02:36 PM

49,932 posts, read 59,927,052 times
Yay!! That is great news

Old 03-10-2017, 03:18 PM

20,726 posts, read 16,363,404 times
A dilator would be like inserting a tampon. Of course you usually do that in the bathroom sitting or standing which may account for any difference if your're trying from a reclining position. But, if you're standing, you shouldn't be aiming straight up or straight back but on a line to the small of your back. If you're too far off in angle, that will cause more unnecessary pain which may be a part of the issue when you're trying to do it yourself. So try a different angle and see how that goes for you. Good luck!

Old 03-10-2017, 03:19 PM

243 posts, read 220,783 times
So I'm just wondering , it's just to tight ? What exactly is the problem ?

Old 03-10-2017, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by notinpa View Post
So I'm just wondering , it's just to tight ? What exactly is the problem ?
The problem is that I have a lot of anxiety about any kind of penetration because I assume it's going to be painful. So the purpose of physical therapy is to gradually introduce me to penetration by starting with small objects and gradually moving on to larger ones, so that I realize that it isn't painful and therefore there's no more reason to be tense and anxious about it.

Mod cut: Orphaned (reply to post which has been deleted).

Last edited by PJSaturn; 03-10-2017 at 10:12 PM..

Old 03-10-2017, 03:37 PM

2,411 posts, read 1,975,037 times
Sorry to hear you have had to go through all that. Sounds as though you are doing a permanent Kegel exercise which must be very tiring. Hope this new therapy goes well for you and you are able to learn to relax all those muscles.

Old 03-10-2017, 10:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aery11 View Post
Sorry to hear you have had to go through all that. Sounds as though you are doing a permanent Kegel exercise which must be very tiring. Hope this new therapy goes well for you and you are able to learn to relax all those muscles.
Thanks! I found the physical therapist to be a lot less intimidating than a gynecologist. There were no stirrups involved and she placed pillows underneath me, so it was easier to relax with her.

Old 03-11-2017, 06:29 AM

26,143 posts, read 19,834,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweet Like Sugar
Most of you don't care, but this is just a recap for those of you who do. I had my very first appointment today with a pelvic floor physical therapist who specializes in the treatment of vaginismus- which is a condition that makes sexual intercourse and other types of vaginal penetration difficult or impossible. I've had this condition for the majority of my life, but only recently found out that there was a physical therapist in my area who could treat it.
Excellent!!!!

I hope you will be pain free soon ... Alot of us DO CARE here on city-data and its GOOD having members not be afraid to share things

Old 03-11-2017, 07:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dude111 View Post
Excellent!!!!

I hope you will be pain free soon ... Alot of us DO CARE here on city-data and its GOOD having members not be afraid to share things
Thanks! I originally posted this topic in the Relationships forum because I've spoken about this issue before there since it can obviously be a hindrance in that area. The main reason I'm seeking help now is because I recently found out about pelvic floor physical therapy and the office was super close to where I live so there was no excuse not to at least go and try it out. While I can opt out of sexual relationships as long as I want, I don't want gynecological exams to continue to be so traumatic for me because they are unfortunately sometimes necessary. So that's the primary goal, and then maybe if I ever meet anyone who I want to have sex with, that could happen too.

Old 03-11-2017, 08:30 AM

3,974 posts, read 4,256,469 times
Physical therapists who specialize in the pelvic floor are a godsend. I saw one for years (for a different pelvic floor problem) and still go back for a "tune-up" once in a while. In fact, I am seeing her next week. I am very glad you found this kind of PT and hope it works out for you. Just be very, very patient with yourself. You may have to ask her to show you how to insert the dilator at home. I'm talking about having her observe you and point out how to angle it differently, etc. Yeah, not fun and certainly not the least embarrassing thing you will ever do, but it's your body and your health. And besides, these PTs have seen and heard EVERYTHING. Good luck to you!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness