Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2009, 06:59 AM

19,855 posts, read 65,802,767 times

Advertisements

I don't understand why so many are saying the surgery was painful. I've had both big toe nails removed completely with the acid treatment and both feet the 2 toes next in line had the sides cut off and acid put on the nail bed. The podiatrists (2 in different states) gave me a short-acting injection followed by a long-acting injection that lasted close to 2 days. By the time it wore off, there was no pain. I had to soak my feet in Epsom salts a couple of times/day for a while. I am so glad it was done! No more ingrown nails now - except on my fingers, lol.

Last edited by SouthernBelleInUtah; 02-23-2010 at 12:33 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2010, 11:20 AM

1 posts, read 5,532 times
Smile How to cure ingrown toenail

Apply Dettol, Antiseptic and Disinfectant Liquid to infected area, using cotton bud - everyday
Apply castor oil on top of the area where Dettol Antiseptic Liquid is applied.

Buy Toe nipper
Buy a new pair of shoes.

Make sure you use Toe nipper, when cutting toe nails every time. Worked for me...
[mod] must have 10 or more posts to make specific recommendations on links [/mod]

Last edited by SouthernBelleInUtah; 02-23-2010 at 12:34 PM..

Old 02-23-2010, 11:33 AM

3,644 posts, read 10,936,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBelleInUtah View Post
I don't understand why so many are saying the surgery was painful. I've had both biug toe nails removed completely with the acid treatment and both feet the 2 toes next in line had the sides cut off and acid put on the nail bed. The podiatrists (2 in different states) gave me a short-acting injection followed by a long-acting injection that lasted close to 2 days. By the time it wore off, there was no pain. I had to soak my feet in Epsom salts a couple of times/day for a while. I am so glad it was done! No more ingrown nails now - except on my fingers, lol.
Mine were painful... each time. I've had the surgeries a total of 3 times and looking forward to just one more when I've got the cash saved up (no insurance).

For some reason, I always required more shots of novacaine than others. 6-7 per toe each time. Those ARE painful. Plus, it never completely numbs the toe either. My toenails don't just go "ingrown" like others though - mine are anomalies that curli-q up and under the nailbed. For the first two, I had to listen to doctor after doctor tell me "it's not that bad, just cut them THIS way..." before I found a podiatrist that could see mine were "special" - two YEARS of doctors.

The last surgery was the worst - I was having the entire nail removed, instead of just the two sides. Of course, the tech put the bandage on too quickly after the mercury and too tightly. A family doctor, podiatrist and surgeon all told me it was just "bruised". It took five days, morphine, percoset, constant soaking, etc for me to start picking at it and discover there was no bruise, but that the bandage had become "part of me", hiding the blood underneath. The best feeling in the world was pulling that bandage off and getting circulation in my toe again! Second best was calling that ass of a surgeon and telling him what I thought of his "epsom salt" recommendation... epsom salts? On open wounds? Wow - that was STUPID!

Now my other big toe is ingrown, as with all my other toes. The smaller toes are easier to handle as the nails are thinner ( can rip those out myself most of the time), but I can only wear athletic shoes now until I can afford the surgery to have the nail removed from my left, big toe... and absolutely by someone DIFFERENT this time!

Not painful? You must have those toenails that go ingrown due to being cut improperly. When they curl under the nailbed on both sides, while having it ripped out (even with novacaine) the pain is worse than 34 hours of back labor.

Old 02-23-2010, 12:01 PM

18,949 posts, read 43,571,506 times
I had ingrown toenails on both of my big toes when I was a teenager but I managed to cut them both out after they became infected.

As was told by someone years ago to cut a "V" in the toenail, so I started doing this and I haven't had anymore ingrown toenails, but maybe it's just a coincidence.

Old 02-23-2010, 12:38 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,802,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sskkc View Post
Not painful? You must have those toenails that go ingrown due to being cut improperly. When they curl under the nailbed on both sides, while having it ripped out (even with novacaine) the pain is worse than 34 hours of back labor.
I had my toenails cut by the podiatrist for years before this. I am diabetic and take good care of my feet. My nails grew under the skin along both sides of the toe and had started curling down and around the end as well. Sorry you had such a bad time. Epsom salts did not sting me and I have a very sensitive skin.

Old 03-07-2010, 06:01 PM

133 posts, read 626,750 times
If I cut my big toe nails too short, I'll get an ingrown nail. I went to the doctor the 1st time this happened and he wanted to avoid removing the nail. So, he took a small piece of cotton ball and used a toothpick to shove it between my toe and nail and had me keep that in place until the nail grew out. Since that visit, I have accidentally cut my nail too short a few times over the years and when it gives me a problem, I get the cotton swab out and start shoving. It's uncomfortable, but effective.

Of course, this depends on how bad the ingrown is. I'm not a DR, haven't seen your toe and am not offering medical advice - just sharing what worked for me.

Good luck!

Old 03-07-2010, 06:37 PM

23,587 posts, read 70,358,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernnaturelover View Post
I had ingrown toenails on both of my big toes when I was a teenager but I managed to cut them both out after they became infected.

As was told by someone years ago to cut a "V" in the toenail, so I started doing this and I haven't had anymore ingrown toenails, but maybe it's just a coincidence.
I literally had the appointment scheduled back when I was 19, tried this and like you have NEVER had a problem since. I canceled the appointment back then, more years ago than I care to count. I seriously doubt we both had the same coincidence.

Old 03-10-2010, 01:55 AM

16,488 posts, read 24,471,880 times
Isn't it amazing how something that look so benign can be so painful? It amazes me how painful ingrown toenails are.

Old 05-01-2010, 01:27 AM

1 posts, read 5,305 times
At home remedies can lead further infection and potentially lead to tetanus please do not attempt more than minor treatments on your own besides with insurance it should only cost about 30-40 bucks for the surgery and that lasts it doesn't hurt as much as people say they will apply local anesthetics to numb the toe before treatment and once your toe is numb it takes less than 15 minutes to finish the procedure. The most painful parts are the shot of anesthetic and the next couple of days when your toe isn't numb, but that is closer to a dull ache and goes away quickly.

Old 05-01-2010, 08:48 PM

1,237 posts, read 3,447,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harry chickpea View Post
I literally had the appointment scheduled back when I was 19, tried this and like you have NEVER had a problem since. I canceled the appointment back then, more years ago than I care to count. I seriously doubt we both had the same coincidence.
What do you mean 'cutting a V'?

I get ingrown toe nails fairly often...however no infection, just the nail under the skin. I've always cut them myself and just dealt with them as they come. If they are really bad I've used the OTC band-aid type things with the cushion and gel to soften the skin...it helps.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness