Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2010, 09:05 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,838,702 times

Advertisements

iidon' now how bad yours is but i always used a small piece of cotton ball soaked in prioxide and pushed it under the front end of the nail. That always satrted the nail growing out fo the skin. Treat the skin with peroxide very nght before going to bed then.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2010, 09:25 PM

177 posts, read 471,167 times
ive had about 35-40 ingrown toenails-both of my big toes are infected bi weekly since i was 13.

i normally just let it get long then clup the outer corners and pull out the infecting piece. its normally about a shard no bigger than a millimeter but it can hurt. soak it in epson salt and hot water if you want to get it clean.

Old 05-06-2010, 09:46 AM

1 posts, read 2,495 times
I had chronic (and I mean chronic!) ingrown toenails for 13 years of my 26 year life. The docs tried everything, slicing the sides off the nail, permanently killing the sides of the nail to make it narrower, completely removing the nail - and every single time it grew back. My GP said permanent nail removal was the next step, but I wanted to avoid that at all costs, having no protection over the bone of the large toe can lead to some pretty traumatic stubbed toe issues.
While researching online I found a doc who performed something called the Vandenbos procedure. Basically instead of trying to attack the nail he removes the excess flesh that is growing over the top of the nail. It worked like a charm and it was a simple in-office procedure. Many doctors do it, and it was no more painful than any of the other procedures done under local anesthetic. The doc said that the Vandenbos procedure should be considered the first procedure for ingrown toenails - and he claims 100% success rate. I was a bit skeptical, but since I live in Canada my doctor didn't have anything to gain by doing the procedure on me. Anyway, the healing time was very similar to the other procedures, the only difference is that this one actually worked, after 13 long years of oozy toes and ruined socks and bandages at the beach. The doctor has a website - [url=http://www.ingrowntoenails.ca]Ingrown Toenails - Dr. Henry Chapeskie - Thorndale Ontario Canada[/url] with some research papers - definitely worth a read.
Good luck everyone - don't live with the hassle any longer than you need to.

Old 09-24-2010, 05:57 PM

2 posts, read 4,694 times
So they just cut the corners of the nail out? What if skin has covered nail, do they cut that skin back as well, or just dig to remove nail? It seems just cutting the skin would expose it to be able to see it and maybe even relieve part of my problem anyway. Epsom salt is what dr recommends 2-3 x dly. I make my own bath salts, so I used them, which also has epsom in them and did 30 min soaks 1 to 2 x dly and it does pull out the infection. Then clean it up and apply TAO.; Triple antibiotic ointment, keep covered and clean, drain, removing puss and get on some antibiotics if infected.

Old 09-24-2010, 06:02 PM

2 posts, read 4,694 times
I just now after posting my comment the thread from Mikey. I do think that removing the skin would be my best option. I have my own scalpel and hemostats.. I can do minor surgery on myself. You could also anesthetize and decrease bleeding with ice. I also wonder the wart removal stuff that basically "burns or freezes" warts off, spraying nitrogen gas, hurt at first, but if it was being cut out, that may be what dr uses? I have no idea..feet were never my thing as far as treatment, in the healthcare field lol

Those of you going to DR. what about asking for a "BIER BLOCK". they could anesthetize ankle down. This is frequently done, doing carapel Tunnel syndrome surgery, but can be adapted to ankle, if physician feels ok with it. Just an idea
Later

Old 10-20-2021, 09:46 PM

1 posts, read 266 times
I got them all the time. Now I cut a V in the tip, which causes the end to grow together. I also scrape the top which thins the middle and lifts the nail. If one still gets sore I soak that foot in hot water until the foot is wrinkly and the nail soft, then it is easier to pry that puppy up and or clip the skin at the end.I bought a ingrown toenail tool set and its awesome ,if you need it ,I can share the link for you
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness