U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2008, 09:25 PM

170 posts, read 905,795 times

Advertisements

About 4 months ago i clipped my big toenail too much and it got infected. I kept good care of it and it healed, but when it grew back it happend again. So the front side of the nail was hitting the skin so i clipped it.

Now it just keeps coming back.It doesnt look severe but it keeps staying cut on the side and trying to grow in. It just keeps recurring.

I'd rather not pay a doctor $400 or so to fix it. What can I do?Do i have to see a doctor?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2008, 09:39 PM

2,178 posts, read 8,159,716 times
I had to have one removed and part of the toenail was permanently removed. It happened to the other one and I watched the doctor and realized that part of my nail was not even attached to the meat. What that doctor did was a temporary fix and it grew back.. I went and bought me a tool that looks kind of like a pair of pliers (spelling?) but has a sharp pointed edge and pointed at the end... you find them in the drug store in the toe nail clipper section. Now I cut mine out all by myself and you would be amazed at how much of it I get out! I have that fungus and usually, the nail is only attached down from where it begins to grow and I work on it for several days, stopping when it gets painful but eventually end up getting big chunks out and it is awhile before they grow back. I know to watch for them and get them before they get bad.

Old 03-04-2008, 10:29 PM

16,487 posts, read 20,164,500 times
One thing that helps with the pain and infection is soaking your foot. Put pretty warm water in a container that will fit your whole foot and add some Epson salt and soat for awhile. I can't believe how much those things hurt!!!

Old 03-05-2008, 06:43 AM

5,975 posts, read 17,038,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by windsurfingiskewl View Post
About 4 months ago i clipped my big toenail too much and it got infected. I kept good care of it and it healed, but when it grew back it happend again. So the front side of the nail was hitting the skin so i clipped it.

Now it just keeps coming back.It doesnt look severe but it keeps staying cut on the side and trying to grow in. It just keeps recurring.

I'd rather not pay a doctor $400 or so to fix it. What can I do?Do i have to see a doctor?
If you have insurance, it would not cost this much. I had mine done last April at a doctor's. I have to warn you though that it hurt like s**t, but it was worth it. The doc has to "burn" the area with acid to prevent the nail from growing back into the nail bed. Almost a year later, the nail has grown back healthy and no more ingrown. I have tried many OTC meds but none worked long term and it came to such a point that even being in sneakers was torture. I was limping and it was throwing off my back. That was when I decided to take the plunge and do it. PM me if you want details...don't want to freak out the whole forum!

Old 03-05-2008, 11:32 AM

7 posts, read 7,377 times
Quote:

I'd get in there and yank that toenail out. If you go to a doctor, they'll take out the entire nail.

Old 03-05-2008, 11:38 AM

A number of years ago I had a lot of problems with ingrown toenails. I have had 4 surgeries. First was having the sides of the nail on one big toes permanently removed (at that time they cut), second was the other foot, third was surgery on one foot to try to fix an infection I got from the first surgery, fourth surgery was having my whole toenail removed permanently from my left foot. Very painful is all I can say! Of course the toe with no nail I have no problems, but I still get ingrown nails now and then on the other foot.

Old 03-05-2008, 03:42 PM

170 posts, read 905,795 times
im sure i can deal with the pain. Its just so annoying that it won't go away. Damn I don't have insurance. Maybe I'll go to wallgreens tonight and check out some OTC stuff. Maybe i can just cut the skin and bandage it and see what happens...

Old 03-05-2008, 05:40 PM

Quote:
im sure i can deal with the pain. Its just so annoying that it won't go away. Damn I don't have insurance. Maybe I'll go to wallgreens tonight and check out some OTC stuff. Maybe i can just cut the skin and bandage it and see what happens...
Soak it 3-4 times a day. It will feel a lot better if you do this, with some Epson salt in the water. Make the water pretty warm and just leave your foot in there to soak for awhile. This would be one of the things a doctor would tell you to do anyway, except he will charge you lol!

Old 03-06-2008, 06:07 AM

5,975 posts, read 17,038,129 times
Quote:
At the frequency that this is occuring for you, you would eventually have to go to a doctor for it sooner or later. What I'm concerned about is that if it gets infected, then the procedure may have to be more invasive and expensive than it would be if you took it in right now. If you think that you will have insurance later, if this is indeed the cause of your hesitation, then by all means wait. IMO, having it dealt with now even if you had to pay out of pocket will save you more pain, aggravation and expense later.

Old 07-19-2009, 06:27 AM

1 posts, read 16,486 times
Default Guaranteed cure

With a large finger nail file, file down the top surface of the nail, from the tip, back to the cuticle, where it makes the sharp bend down into the flesh - the 'spine' I call it. File it down until the curvature of nail seems uniform from side to side. This takes a fair amount of time and elbow grease. This will make the nail much more flexible and not so prone to driven into the flesh by the pressure of standing, walking, etc.

I had ingrowns on both big toes for 18 months. 36 hours after doing this, all discomfort was gone, and six months later, there just fine and I've not had to file them down since.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness