U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2011, 01:58 PM

16 posts, read 88,183 times
Default Stay Strong

To all who are dealing with the pain of Fifth:
1. I am so sorry that anyone has to deal with this. In my 46 years, it was definitely the darkest time of life.
2. Yes, you will get better. Most people get back to enjoying life as before Fifth. I won't say that there will be no residual effects, but you will get your life back. Most likely, there will be no residual effects.
3. PLEASE keep going to MDs until you find one who will listen, and will provide pain meds that meet your needs.
4. Seriously, you need to be able to sleep. If you don't sleep, you will get very depressed. And you're probably already depressed.

**On the lighter side - During the time of greatest pain and swelling, all I could do was take Tramadol (for pain) and lay in the LaZboy. Of course this had been the situation for a month, and my partner Begged me to play Scrabble. I gave in - knowing that my ankles would swell after two minutes of sitting upright, but I did it anyway. WELL, on my very first draw, I spelled Quilters. Because I hit bonus squares, my score was so high that the game was pretty much over. A new rule was made: No Scrabble with anyone on prescription pain meds.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2011, 01:31 AM

1 posts, read 1,746 times
I am a stay-at-home mom with two kids. I was just diagnosed with Fifths and I am completely miserable. I'm exhausted. I'm in pain constantly. I itch so bad that I think I'm go insane. I have tried everything to keep the itching at a minimum and to keep the extreme swelling/joint pain down. (they love me at my local pharmacy!) Nothing seems to be working. I have to figure out something to do, because this is keeping me from being a wife and a mother. My kids don't understand why I can't pick them up to play with them and I don't think that my husband grasps just how much pain I'm in. In the past two weeks, I've been on 4 different kinds of steroids and have taken so much Ibuprofen that I should buy stock in it. There haven't been any signs of improvement. (other than my rash fading slightly) I'm really at a loss as to what to do. My doctors keep telling me that it's a virus and that it just has to run it's course. Does anyone have any advise as to what I can possibly do? I hate having to call my best friend constantly to come over and help me with things so small as getting out of bed, going to the bathroom and even brushing my own hair. I am super surprised that there isn't more information online about it and the doctors I've seen don't seem to have any more info that what I've googled so far.

Old 08-31-2011, 09:06 PM

Default To MonkiesMomma

Yes, you will get better. The doctors do not know how long this will last, and it is very difficult for others to understand the pain you are experiencing. I can only offer some of my approaches to making it through the day.
1. Since going barefoot was not an option (painful), I wore crocs in the shower.
2. I used a corner seat/platform in the shower.
3. Consider using a soap puff on a stick.
4. Because of the shoulder pain, I used the smallest and lightest weight towel in the house.
5. Invite children and husband to snuggle, but gently so.
6. If you have them, wear hiking boots to support your ankles. I went to REI and purchased a pair. Those boots were the only reason I could make it to work.
7. For sleeping, I used koosh(ish) pillows under each shoulder, each arm, and a bed pillow under my knees. Laying flat killed my shoulders, so I experimented with pillows until I found the angle that would relive the greatest amount of shoulder pain.
8. I went to doctors until I got pain medication. Even if you take it only at bed time, you need sleep. I don't have children, and I don't know anyone can take care others when they are in such pain.
9. When I could move a little better, I found that I could ride a bike, and my body felt lots better, but for only 30 minutes after the ride. Still, your family could see a bit of "You" for a little while.
10. I never let anyone try to convince me that the pain and swelling wasn't real. They tried, but I never stopped insisting that I Knew what I was experiencing.

Old 09-20-2011, 08:45 AM

1 posts, read 1,689 times
Default Home anti-inflammation remedies

I'm a bit of a newbie here, having had Fifth's for all of two weeks. So far I haven't found it debilitating, but rather painful like after having done an intense weight lifting workout after a long time away from the gym. I've been doing a ton of reading over the last 24 hours about anti-inflammation, since so many on these boards seem to have issues with prescription anti-inflammatories.

What I've read from a home remedy standpoint (for people with arthritis, fibromyalgia and other debilitating inflammatory illnesses) is that many, many, many get relief from (apparently) proven anti-inflammatories such as turmeric, ginger, tart cherries and omega-3s. Shouldn't be hard to find most of these in pill form (make sure to do some reading about what the proper dosage is - it may be more than you think) and you can do a lot of reading on Dr. Weil's website.Moderator cut: need at least 10 other posts to make specific recommendations Turmeric especially is referred to as a "powerful anti-inflammatory" from various sources. While it seems that these remedies take a few weeks at least to start to provide relief, those who get relief from them say it's life-changing (or life-restoring), and VERY noticeable if they miss a dose.

Also explore the "anti inflammation diet", which includes eating good fats and eliminating bad fats (cooking in olive oil instead of fast food fries), avoiding nightshades (white potatoes, tomato), limiting fatty dairy and red meat. Eating lots of veggies and whole grain, and again, good fats from olive oil, salmon, walnuts. Side effect - this is also the profile of a healthy diet! A recent study showed that a diet rich in good fats lowered cholesterol more that a low-fat diet.

One final note - not all omega3 supplements are created equal - while most are 1.5mg pills, if you do the math on the label, most appear to only have ~500mg of omega-3. That means the majority of the pill is 'filler' oil. Moderator cut: see above

Last edited by SouthernBelleInUtah; 09-20-2011 at 10:53 AM..

Old 09-21-2011, 09:51 AM

3 posts, read 5,387 times
Miss a,
Have you had your thyroid tested? It can affect your fertility!
Shmeverbly

Old 10-02-2011, 05:51 PM

3 posts, read 5,387 times
Default Fifth's Disease

Has anyone had Prednisone prescribed to them? I found another mom at my daughter's school who had Fifth's Disease, and her doctor prescribed her prednisone. She said it made a world of difference. I'm going to look into it, and report back if it helps. I've now had Fifth's for 6 months. . .

Old 10-10-2011, 04:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shmeverbly View Post
Has anyone had Prednisone prescribed to them? I found another mom at my daughter's school who had Fifth's Disease, and her doctor prescribed her prednisone. She said it made a world of difference. I'm going to look into it, and report back if it helps. I've now had Fifth's for 6 months. . .
Prednisone was not prescribed for my Fifths, but when I got into poison ivy, the Prednisone worked wonders for my joints. If I had to do it over again, I would request (and adamantly so) a prescription for Prednisone (4 mg). Take the smallest dose possible. You don't want to stay awake all night, and you don't want to have the Prednisone crash when you finish the medicine.

Old 11-05-2011, 12:09 PM

1 posts, read 1,542 times
hi, my name is dali and my children have had the fifth disease but my daughter seem to have gotten it worser than the other ones. week later my mother broke out in a rash and swelling of her fingers and horrible body ache but my poor mother also got the shingles at the same time. to anyone who has complications such as sickle cell please go get check especially if your not feeling well within a week.

Old 12-23-2011, 10:28 AM

1 posts, read 1,465 times
My daughter has had all of these symptoms, age 35 and now her boyfriend had the rash two days ago and last nite shoulder pain. They're coming home for Christmas and my husband is terrified we will get it or my 86 year old father who's compromised and my husband is especially worried that his dog will get it. Can someone tell me when it's no longer communicable or cathcy?

Thanks.

Old 12-24-2011, 02:07 AM

1 posts, read 1,455 times
I recently found out I have fifth disease. This is the most sick I have ever been I am a very active mother of 4 and I can hardly move at this point. I have had sever swelling, pain, tingling, nausea and vomiting. Has anyone one else experienced this and have any advice I feel like I am dieing here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness