Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2017, 03:02 PM

11,583 posts, read 6,729,146 times

Advertisements

My old doctor only sent out bills quarterly. I know others only sent them out twice a year. It is strange since every where else you get the bill by weeks end it seems like. If you're worried about getting a massive bill at sometime I would call and ask. Otherwise don't worry about it.

If you were to get one big massive bill and couldn't pay it all at once I would then call and tell them that you didn't expect for months to go by with no bill. You understand you owe but can you be on a payment plan. Most will let you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2017, 04:14 PM

1,440 posts, read 1,238,727 times
You do realize, if you have insurance, you should get an EOB? An explanation of benefits? It explains what the doctors office charged your insurance, what the insurance actually paid (and doctor's offices and insurance companies more often than not have contracts stating that they will pay a certain % of charges) what (if you had one) your co-pay and what your remaining amount is?

Also-you can almost always choose to pay the bill up front and then submit it yourself to the insurance company--though there are a few places that make you do this (mostly therapist, some alternatiive medicine--chiro is a grey area, depending on the insurance company.)

You can view those online, with most insurance companies--as well as your deductible, out of pockets (different things-some insurance companies apply deductibles to out of pocket costs, some do not.) Just as you can view your benefits. However, the doctor's office CANNOT balance bill you (for the difference in the discounted rate and what the actual charge was) as that is illegal.

Old 04-11-2017, 04:41 PM
DKM

6,767 posts, read 3,851,777 times
Sometimes the "doctor" charges low enough that insurance pays all of it. I experienced this when we used CNP's instead of MD. The explanation I got was the insurance paid a lower rate and covered 100% of the bill.

Old 04-11-2017, 04:55 PM

8,238 posts, read 10,721,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nor'Eastah View Post
Why not just pay cash up front and then submit to your insurance co afterwards?

I always pay cash for office visits. If I go to my attorney or my mechanic, they expect to be paid right then and there. Why should a doctor be any different?
Dr bills you $200 for a visit
Contract rate with the insurance is $50
Your copay is $25
Insurance pays the other $25

You now have to go back to the doctor and get your $175 back (difference between the original $200 you paid and the $25 you should have paid)

That's why the doctor is different and most know and understand that.

Old 04-11-2017, 05:15 PM

10,113 posts, read 19,394,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldgardener View Post
My doctor sometimes doesn't send me a bill, sometimes does. I've made it a habit to check my account online to see if I owe them anything.

Just sloppy bookkeeping, I think.
They probably outsource their bookkeeping, then wonder why its all screwed up

Old 04-11-2017, 07:02 PM

13,285 posts, read 8,442,400 times
There is NO medical establishment in my town that accepts CASH. The staff is not to be trusted, and rightly so. It clearly states: Check, Credit card and /or- active insurance card.

Had a shyster Opthamologist insist that this "special" test would be covered under my regular medical. I clearly didnt SEE that coming when I got a bill for 200$ since my insurance denied it .

I do have a local dentist that is constantly surprised that I pay by check at the end of each visit. He has it on my file that if I pay at time of service , I get a 15% discount. How sweet is that! : )
My dental plan might as well be non existent...it takes 2000$ out of pocket and a 6 month wait to be covered for anything beyond the exam, cleaning and ex-ray. ....

Old 04-13-2017, 06:03 AM

2,124 posts, read 6,818,984 times
Yes, I did receive an EOB, that was what I was referring to in my original post. It said what insurance covered and what was left - what the office would likely bill me for - and they haven't. If it was turned over to collections, surely I would have heard something. Appreciate the replies. I guess I just won't go back there.

Old 04-14-2017, 08:07 PM

37,102 posts, read 41,226,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJDevil View Post
Yes, I did receive an EOB, that was what I was referring to in my original post. It said what insurance covered and what was left - what the office would likely bill me for - and they haven't. If it was turned over to collections, surely I would have heard something. Appreciate the replies. I guess I just won't go back there.
In other words, stuff the doctor for "what was left - what the office would likely bill me for." If someone in the billing office made a mistake that does not mean you do not owe what you know you owe.

Pay up.

Old 04-15-2017, 07:42 AM

2,124 posts, read 6,818,984 times
Thank you for your input. I am not paying anything without being billed for it. I told them up front what I could afford and how I would like them to file the insurance. So maybe they just aren't billing me.

Old 04-15-2017, 03:32 PM

37,102 posts, read 41,226,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJDevil View Post
Thank you for your input. I am not paying anything without being billed for it. I told them up front what I could afford and how I would like them to file the insurance. So maybe they just aren't billing me.
You can do that. I consider it dishonest.

I guess if you had overpaid it would be all right for the doctor to not refund that amount if you never asked for it back?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness