Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2017, 01:04 PM

1,040 posts, read 1,074,423 times

Advertisements

This article is from last year but it talks about a new more effective vaccine that is being tested:

New Shingles Vaccine Works Better - NBC News

Old 04-27-2017, 01:14 PM

19,383 posts, read 27,635,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luvvarkansas View Post
I think they should change their recommendation to 50 and older since the efficacy decreases with age....and also because I personally know two people, and have heard of even more, who had shingles in their 50s (one was early 50s).

I've wanted to get it for a long time now and my doc actually wrote me a prescription for one but I read that it costs around $200 without insurance, so I haven't done it.
I had shingles when I was 23. Cost for shot around here is about $200 and my individual BCBS policy does not cover it. Medicare Part D TYPICALLY covers the vaccine as a Tier 3 other tier 4 drug.

Old 04-27-2017, 01:23 PM

36,980 posts, read 40,989,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
SQ, stress is everywhere IF we let it control us. There are MANY ways to keep stress down, believe me, MANY WAYS. Being mindful is necessary. Catching oneself when going in a stress situation. The old timers had their share of stress and modern time folks have their share. Too living where it's more sane re: traffic, people is a factor. I live in a crazy hectic area of the U.S. and have learned to keep calm no matter what.

Just a side note, I have a young man who is 24 living in our apt bldg and he is so rare and as he says, it's crazy out there and where is everyone going. He's very involved in meditation and goes on retreats to support his passion.
Eliminating stress completely is impossible. Your spouse dies and you are going to meditate and make the stress go away? Good luck with that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo48 View Post
My husband got a shingles vaccination in his mid 60's, but still got shingles. Very mild and did not go to his doctor for a week. My 32 year old SIL also got Shingles and it looked exactly like what my husband had. Just a patch of about an inch. Itchy. 30 somethings are not recommended for that vaccination. Both my husband and SIL went to work for a week before going to a doctor. My SIL had a Newborn when he had shingles. Doctor told him to just wear a shirt around his baby.

Afterwards, my husband asked his doctor if he should get another Shingles Vaccination. His doctor said not to bother again because once someone has had Shingles, the ,2nd vaccination is only about 10% effective.

I am almost 69, never had the vaccination, or shingles, but my Millennial SIL HAS? That's bad.
Your husband's experience is typical for those who are vaccinated and still get shingles. Consider that his experience may have been worse without the vaccine.

There is no recommendation for repeating the vaccine at this point, whether someone has shingles after the vaccine or not. Since no one gets a second dose, there are no data on how effective it would be. I have no idea where that doctor came up with the 10% figure.

The risk of having shingles increases as you get older. That does not mean younger people - even children - do not get it all.

Old 04-27-2017, 01:24 PM

1,065 posts, read 592,584 times
I'm staying away from prednisone - an immunosuppressant drug (had shingles after a round of that, age 24), and sticking with antioxidants.

Old 04-27-2017, 01:32 PM

29,267 posts, read 16,606,435 times
SQ, there are MANY stresses in ones life. But we can work to eliminate MANY. No one said: eliminating stress completely!!!!! When one thinks about stresses in life, death, illness, money issues etc etc, I'd say MOST do not get shingles. I've only known one person in my friends and family who had shingles. Do best to keep immune system STRONG.

Middletwin, my friend who came down with shingles that I talked about, has taken prednisone drugs a lot of her life..interesting. I never taken those steroid drugs. Antioxidants are my saving graces..

Last edited by jaminhealth; 04-27-2017 at 02:12 PM..

Old 04-27-2017, 01:50 PM

10,191 posts, read 6,249,622 times
Quote:
As I see it, stress is a major cause to bring on shingles. I have a friend who in her later 60's and was retired and got a puppy and the stress from training that puppy 24 hrs daily, took her into shingles.....keeping calm as can be and using calming supports, I believe, can keep "S" from our bodies...again I'm 79 and no sign .. thank goodness.

Keeping body and mind in a calmer state can do wonders...meditation is a great starter.
Oh, yes, Jamin, I totally agree. My vaccinated husband had had 4 surgeries in 6 years when he got Shingles despite being vaccinated. Stress??? My SIL had a Newborn First Child with Colic when he got Shingles, More STRESS.

I am one of those people who takes life one day at a day. I live by my Nana's words, "All things in life will someday pass". I don't stress out about what will happen tomorrow. Live each day for today, ESPECIALLY when you get older. I am not terrified of being sick or dying. Made my peace with dying when I turned 50. Whatever happens, happens, and I will deal with it when it does.

My adult children comment on this all the time. Why does Mom never get sick when Dad does"? Sorry, SuzyQ's and Katarina's it is no superhuman powers. "Daddy stresses out over every little thing". I think as adults they are getting the message. Stress make you sick. Think about what makes you happy. Pet your cat, think about waterfalls, or whatever else calms you down. Breathe or meditate if that work for you. It's far healthier, and satisfying than taking a pill for all your solutions in life.

I do believe far too many Americans want the comfort, attention, and instant gratification that medicine provides. There is a pill or a vaccination for everyone for all of your problems. Ask your doctor. They will solve everything for you.

Jamin, you are my age, and I think you know what I mean about medicine and the younger generations and medicine. Do you wish to be part of their campaign? I most definitely don't as a older person.

Old 04-27-2017, 02:24 PM

36,980 posts, read 40,989,740 times
Quote:
SQ, there are MANY stresses in ones life. But we can work to eliminate MANY. No one said: eliminating stress completely!!!!! When one thinks about stresses in life, death, illness, money issues etc etc, I'd say MOST do not get shingles. I've only known one person in my friends and family who had shingles. Do best to keep immune system STRONG.

Middletwin, my friend who came down with shingles that I talked about, has taken prednisone drugs a lot of her life..interesting. I never taken those steroid drugs. Antioxidants are my saving graces..
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo48 View Post
Oh, yes, Jamin, I totally agree. My vaccinated husband had had 4 surgeries in 6 years when he got Shingles despite being vaccinated. Stress??? My SIL had a Newborn First Child with Colic when he got Shingles, More STRESS.

I am one of those people who takes life one day at a day. I live by my Nana's words, "All things in life will someday pass". I don't stress out about what will happen tomorrow. Live each day for today, ESPECIALLY when you get older. I am not terrified of being sick or dying. Made my peace with dying when I turned 50. Whatever happens, happens, and I will deal with it when it does.

My adult children comment on this all the time. Why does Mom never get sick when Dad does"? Sorry, SuzyQ's and Katarina's it is no superhuman powers. "Daddy stresses out over every little thing". I think as adults they are getting the message. Stress make you sick. Think about what makes you happy. Pet your cat, think about waterfalls, or whatever else calms you down. Breathe or meditate if that work for you. It's far healthier, and satisfying than taking a pill for all your solutions in life.

I do believe far too many Americans want the comfort, attention, and instant gratification that medicine provides. There is a pill or a vaccination for everyone for all of your problems. Ask your doctor. They will solve everything for you.

Jamin, you are my age, and I think you know what I mean about medicine and the younger generations and medicine. Do you wish to be part of their campaign? I most definitely don't as a older person.
If stress contributes to getting shingles, wouldn't you have to completely eliminate stress to eliminate stress as a contributor to shingles?

Old 04-27-2017, 04:32 PM

50,091 posts, read 63,455,214 times
All I'm saying is, if you know the symptoms, which are a painful, weird backache, and a tingling feeling like you can't stand your clothes touching your skin...keep an antiviral on the shelf and start taking it. Your simptoms will be over in a week, and you probably won't get a rash.
I have nothing against the vaccine, but haven't had it.

Old 04-27-2017, 11:33 PM

7,673 posts, read 5,394,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by foundapeanut View Post

I'm going now for the new one that you can get when you hit 60. There are now 2 types..
Yes, I am investigating the newer one (or more) that are on their way to market and are purported to be much more effective than ZOSTAVAX.

I am hopeful that the newer vaccine won't use neomycin (it's an ingredient in Zostavax), and will be an individually packaged single-dose injectable units, similar to the way many annual flu vaccines are now.

I would love to hear back from anyone who gets the new vaccination, what the name of it is, what the ingredients are, etc.

Old 04-27-2017, 11:34 PM

7,673 posts, read 5,394,558 times
Has anyone had more than one case of shingles? Is it possible?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness