Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2017, 04:52 PM

5,644 posts, read 13,188,137 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Good4Nothin View Post
"Coronary heart disease exists everywhere, so that statement is not true."

You can say something exists even if it ALMOST NEVER exists. Heart disease and cancer are VERY RARE in non-industrial societies, and this is well known. They increase dramatically as people start having office jobs and eating processed food. Look it up.

Yes, if you die at age 5 you won't ever get heart disease. However, many people in non-industrial societies survive to old age, and they DO NOT HAVE HEART DISEASE.

You should look these things up. Don't just read the pro-drug BS.
Why don't YOU "try looking things up" since all you post is unsubstantiated BS

Statins weren't "developed for patients solely suffering from FH" as you erroneously state...

Where on Earth are these "non industrialized societies" with low heart disease??? Where???

You keep making bogus claims with NOTHING to back them up...

Years ago it was "claimed" that Inuit tribes DID NOT suffer from coronary heart disease....since been disproven..

"The mortality from all cardiovascular diseases combined is not lower among the Inuit than in white comparison populations."
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/12535749

So tell us oh knowledgeable one, WHERE are all these Utopian societies currently on earth where people live forever never suffering from heart disease or cancer??? Where cursed statins never touch their lips

Old 05-09-2017, 06:06 PM

8,192 posts, read 3,385,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
Cancer has always existed. Many begin as errors that happen as cells divide in order to reproduce themselves. They are not due to lifestyle or exposure to environmental carcinogens.

Earliest Human Cancer Found in 1.7-Million-Year-Old Bone

Why do you think statins are OK only for genetic causes of high cholesterol and not for anyone else with high cholesterol?

You keep opining without providing any sources to back those opinions up. What I am finding does not support what you are saying. You need to provide references.

https://health.clevelandclinic.org/2...rtery-disease/

“The presence of atherosclerosis in premodern human beings suggests that the disease is an inherent component of human aging.”
They found evidence of an ancient person who had cancer. One person. To you, that means cancer was just as common 1.7 million years ago as it is now.

Why are statins only ok for genetic high cholesterol? Because they benefit those people, and hardly anyone else. The research shows 100 people have to take statins for 5 years to prevent 1 or 2 heart attacks. Probably because 1 or 2 people out of 100 have genetically caused high cholesterol.

Why should almost every older person take statins when they will only be harmed and not helped by it?

Old 05-09-2017, 07:03 PM

5,644 posts, read 13,188,137 times
Quote:
They found evidence of an ancient person who had cancer. One person. To you, that means cancer was just as common 1.7 million years ago as it is now.

Why are statins only ok for genetic high cholesterol? Because they benefit those people, and hardly anyone else. The research shows 100 people have to take statins for 5 years to prevent 1 or 2 heart attacks. Probably because 1 or 2 people out of 100 have genetically caused high cholesterol.

Why should almost every older person take statins when they will only be harmed and not helped by it?
Why do you keep making up "facts" as if they were actually true...

Not one point that you made above is correct....not one.....

The word cancer came from a Greek words karkinos to describe carcinoma tumors by a physician Hippocrates (460–370 B.C), but he was not the first to discover this disease. Some of the earliest evidence of human bone cancer was found in mummies in ancient Egypt and in ancient manuscripts dates about 1600 B.C
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2927383/

The benefits of the cholesterol-reducing drug statins are underestimated and the harms exaggerated, a major review suggests.
Statins benefits underestimated, review says - BBC News

Old 05-09-2017, 07:09 PM

48,382 posts, read 34,511,198 times
Oldest descriptions of cancer

Human beings and other animals have had cancer throughout recorded history. So it’s no surprise that from the dawn of history people have written about cancer. Some of the earliest evidence of cancer is found among fossilized bone tumors, human mummies in ancient Egypt, and ancient manuscripts. Growths suggestive of the bone cancer called osteosarcoma have been seen in mummies. Bony skull destruction as seen in cancer of the head and neck has been found, too.

Our oldest description of cancer (although the word cancer was not used) was discovered in Egypt and dates back to about 3000 BC. It’s called the Edwin Smith Papyrus and is a copy of part of an ancient Egyptian textbook on trauma surgery. It describes 8 cases of tumors or ulcers of the breast that were removed by cauterization with a tool called the fire drill. The writing says about the disease, “There is no treatment.”

https://www.cancer.org/cancer/cancer...is-cancer.html
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 05-09-2017, 07:10 PM

36,979 posts, read 40,989,740 times
Quote:

All I have to do to rebut your claim that cancer is only a modern disease is to show you one ancient case. That does not mean that that one case was the only one that ever existed, just the one that was found.

Breast cancer has been described in an Egyptian papyrus from 3,000–2,500 B.C. and in Greek writings dating back to the first century A.D.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3997531/

Prostate cancer in a Russian king from 2700 years ago:

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/17918181

And an Egyptian from 2250 years ago:

Mummy Has Oldest Case of Prostate Cancer in Ancient Egypt | Science | AAAS

More ancient cancers:

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/16786146

Finding these cases has resulted from better technology. That few have been confirmed has more to do with the lack of ways to find them than the scarcity of the diseases.

Cancer is definitely not a new phenomenon.

You still have not explained why a statin would benefit only the person with a genetic cause for his high cholesterol and not someone with the same cholesterol level who does not have a familial lipid disorder. In an ideal world, everyone who could reduce his cholesterol to a safe level with diet and exercise would do so. Unfortunately, that is never going to happen.

The number needed to treat to prevent heart attacks and strokes - non-fatal as well as fatal - varies with the level of risk of the person being treated. The higher the risk category, the lower the number needed to treat. See table 4 here:

Primary prevention of cardiovascular disease with statins: assessing the evidence base behind clinical guidance | Review article | Pharmaceutical Journal

Old 05-10-2017, 09:05 AM

Cancer has always existed, but it was very uncommon before modern industry. You keep on digging up evidence that cancer existed, which is not the point at all.

People with a low risk of heart disease are now given statins based on their total cholesterol number. LDL vs HDL is not considered, ratios are not considered, just the total number.

That means most people taking statins will not benefit, according to the existing research. Why is that ok?

Old 05-10-2017, 01:56 PM

36,979 posts, read 40,989,740 times
Quote:
Cancer has always existed, but it was very uncommon before modern industry. You keep on digging up evidence that cancer existed, which is not the point at all.

People with a low risk of heart disease are now given statins based on their total cholesterol number. LDL vs HDL is not considered, ratios are not considered, just the total number.

That means most people taking statins will not benefit, according to the existing research. Why is that ok?
You keep making statements with no facts to back them up. How about giving us some sources for your claims?

You want to discount the effect of age on cancer incidence, too.

Cancer is not a modern disease.

Statins are indeed prescribed by taking all risk factors into consideration, not just total cholesterol. The prescribing algorithm is quite complex.

https://www.aace.com/files/lipid-guidelines.pdf

Note the 695 references.

Old 05-10-2017, 05:11 PM

77,772 posts, read 104,270,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
Oldest descriptions of cancer

Human beings and other animals have had cancer throughout recorded history. So it’s no surprise that from the dawn of history people have written about cancer. Some of the earliest evidence of cancer is found among fossilized bone tumors, human mummies in ancient Egypt, and ancient manuscripts. Growths suggestive of the bone cancer called osteosarcoma have been seen in mummies. Bony skull destruction as seen in cancer of the head and neck has been found, too.

Our oldest description of cancer (although the word cancer was not used) was discovered in Egypt and dates back to about 3000 BC. It’s called the Edwin Smith Papyrus and is a copy of part of an ancient Egyptian textbook on trauma surgery. It describes 8 cases of tumors or ulcers of the breast that were removed by cauterization with a tool called the fire drill. The writing says about the disease, “There is no treatment.”

https://www.cancer.org/cancer/cancer...is-cancer.html
I remember one of my professors in a health class saying cancer was just as common 100 years ago as today: the difference they didn't have the ability to diagnose it. often people died of lung problems that probably had cancer.

Old 05-10-2017, 05:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
I remember one of my professors in a health class saying cancer was just as common 100 years ago as today: the difference they didn't have the ability to diagnose it. often people died of lung problems that probably had cancer.
And how did your professor know that? Some people want to deny that our industrial lifestyle is dangerous, so they decide that cancer has not increased dramatically.

Do you really think our bodies can tolerate ever more artificial toxic substances? Do you really think cancer was just as common when the air and water were clean, and the food was natural?

Old 05-10-2017, 06:12 PM

26,645 posts, read 28,492,831 times
Those diseases have always existed. Anyone who does genealogy will have death certificates that note the cause of death: palpitations of the heart means heart attack. Some death certificates say cancer. The difference is that most of the time the person never even knew anything was wrong. There was no treatment anyway--they just died. The male ancestor of mine who died of palpitations of the heart died at age 27 "while working in the fields." So it sounds like he was getting plenty of exercise!

I've taken statins and won't take them again due to the muscle pain. I am going to start another drug even though I don't want to, but at least it's not a statin. I have ZERO history of high cholesterol in my immediate family (parents, grandparents.) Diet, even going vegetarian with almost no fat, did absolutely nothing. I am not overweight at all. My thyroid is normal except T3 is a tad off. So I would LOVE to know the cause of the extremely high cholesterol!

And I would LOVE absolute proof that high cholesterol is dangerous. As it is, I'll take the stupid drug rather than gamble and possibly find out the hard way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness