Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2017, 03:45 PM

12,547 posts, read 9,926,533 times

Advertisements

Since I was a kid, the hardest thing in life was waking up in the morning. My brain does everything in its power to NOT shut down, but when it does, I'm out for 10-11 hours. That means I could be perfectly alert and ready to do anything at 6am yet ready for bed at 8am....and sleep until 5-6pm. This erratic sleep style partially helped motivate me to retire early (in my 20s) so that I could naturally pass out at any time and wake up naturally without an alarm clock. Once in a while I can even sleep for 12 hours. I sometimes try an alarm clock, but I wake up in a fog and turn it off. It's like deep down in my brain I know that I don't HAVE TO wake up.

I have friends and family that are apparently functional and refreshed on as little as 5 hours sleep. I sorta wish I could do that because it would give me 5 extra hours to do what I want. It makes me wonder what causes me to need double the amount of sleep.

Anyway, how much can you get by on? Anyone else a 10+ hour sleeper if your schedule permits?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2017, 03:56 PM

29,267 posts, read 16,725,069 times
Your hours are confusing to me. Do you sleep all day? Are your am' and pm's mixed up..I just read it again and maybe it's me.

I sleep from 9:30-10:00 pm and a couple wake ups and then ready to get out of bed 8am or so. I'm old and no more schedule like work etc etc...nothing. I'm 79..

Do you work or what?

Old 09-06-2017, 04:15 PM

12,547 posts, read 9,926,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
Your hours are confusing to me. Do you sleep all day? Are your am' and pm's mixed up..I just read it again and maybe it's me.

I sleep from 9:30-10:00 pm and a couple wake ups and then ready to get out of bed 8am or so. I'm old and no more schedule like work etc etc...nothing. I'm 79..

Do you work or what?
I don't really have AM/PM. I just sleep whenever I want, but I have prefered staying awake at night since I was a kid. I find things to do, but I don't have a job. I work out a lot and I'm extremely fit so I don't think there's a physical health issue.

Old 09-06-2017, 04:19 PM

1,225 posts, read 1,229,422 times
A century ago, medical advice was 10 hours of sleep per night. By mid-century, we were told 8-10 hours. Now they say 7-9 hours.

The truth is, the human species hasn't evolved to actually need less. We still need the same amount of sleep we did a century ago. It's just that our culture has evolved and sleep is considered a weakness.

Personally, I really need 9 hours of sleep per night, in order to feel fully rested. I still have trouble waking up, and am thinking of getting a daylight alarm clock.

If you need more than 10 hours every night, you might want to talk to your doctor--thyroid, adrenal, parathyroid, and pituitary conditions can cause a person to be constantly exhausted. But any doctor will tell you not to just 'sleep whenever you want to'. The body has a natural sleep cycle. If you sleep at different times, you will mess that up, and you brain will be producing melatonin when it should be producing cortisol, and vice versa, which will make you tired.

Old 09-06-2017, 04:19 PM

6,811 posts, read 6,940,539 times
My ideal sleep time is 9-10 hours a night but I rarely get a chance to sleep that much. I never wake up feeling refreshed with 8 or less.

Old 09-06-2017, 04:51 PM

29,267 posts, read 16,725,069 times
I woke up feeling pretty good today, slept really good and it was cooler, we've been in a heat wave. For me feeling pretty good is not as achy and pains and just feeling stronger and not worn out.

OP, thanks for more explanation, I have no advice. Your sleep habits are rather unusual.

I've done a lot of research on sleeping and got a lot of info from a book Lights Out...and it said our HGH production is strongest between 10PM and 2AM when we are sleeping.

Old 09-06-2017, 06:22 PM

5,404 posts, read 15,987,564 times
Everyone needs a different amount of sleep..and it can vary as you age. Sleep the amount that makes YOU feel good for the day! Really simple!

Old 09-06-2017, 07:46 PM

730 posts, read 1,656,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddiehaskell View Post
This erratic sleep style partially helped motivate me to retire early (in my 20s) so that I could naturally pass out at any time and wake up naturally without an alarm clock.

I have friends and family that are apparently functional and refreshed on as little as 5 hours sleep. I sorta wish I could do that because it would give me 5 extra hours to do what I want. It makes me wonder what causes me to need double the amount of sleep.

Anyway, how much can you get by on? Anyone else a 10+ hour sleeper if your schedule permits?

You retired in your 20's - I sure hope this is a typo.

Old 09-06-2017, 07:48 PM

5,886 posts, read 6,085,926 times
I usually prefer 8-9 hours of sleep. But I think it definitely helps to sleep effectively if it's dark and you maintain a regular sleep schedule so I'm not sure if what you're doing is a good idea. If I get 10+ hours of sleep I actually often feel more sleepy like if my body thinks I'm supposed to be hibernating...

Old 09-06-2017, 07:56 PM

20,726 posts, read 16,349,532 times
I sleep a good 8-9 hours a night. Most would agree that if you REGULARLY sleep 10 hours a night you might want to get checked out. Do you still feel tired after this amount of sleep? Do you have trouble falling asleep? Do you have trouble getting up? Are you depressed? Getting a physical might be revealing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness