Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2017, 01:58 PM

109 posts, read 100,425 times

Advertisements

Got hit in the head with a cricket ball , I was not on the pitch , bowler bowled , completely messed up and hit me on the head , big bruise to the head.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2017, 03:14 PM

18,773 posts, read 18,140,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReeceJackox View Post
Got hit in the head with a cricket ball , I was not on the pitch , bowler bowled , completely messed up and hit me on the head , big bruise to the head.
Murphy's Law; always expect the unexpected - that is why we call them "accidents". I had a friend, many years ago, that was wearing a ring and jumped down from a trailer. He left his ring on a sharp piece of metal and his finger! That was when I stopped wearing my wedding ring to work! I thought of myself as an 'expert' fisherman until twenty years ago. I tried to set the hook as a trout jumped out the water and flipped my spinner into my left eye. Safety glasses would have eliminated all of that pain and suffering - but I did not look ahead.

Always look out for your own safety first. Don't take anything for granted because that is when you will get hurt. I love all the street signs that say: Pedestrians have the right of way. If you are considerably smaller than the fast moving vehicles; it is in your best interest to always assume they have the right of way - regardless of the law.

Old 05-07-2017, 04:25 PM

20,936 posts, read 28,426,121 times
When I was 4 years old. My grandfather has a glass storm door, I opened it and the wind was very strong. I let the door go and glass shattered all over me. I had a few small cuts on my one arm that my mom had to pick glass out of.

Old 05-09-2017, 08:14 PM

88,584 posts, read 84,795,337 times
I turned a bathroom trashcan upside down when I was five to stand on it so I could reach the bird feeder and put in the crusts leftover from hamburger buns at our backyard picnic. The ground was uneven and the trashcan tipped and I fell and broke my arm.

Old 05-11-2017, 03:54 PM

3,099 posts, read 2,003,983 times
I've had some odd ones.

Plane crash, 30-yrs ago. No fatalities. Lots of injuries. I hated to fly before, I have to be good & liquored up now to get on a plane. Okay, that means 1-2 beers max, but still... I ain't flying without an Irish ale first, even if it's a 6am flight.

The scariest, as I was so young, was being 5-6, standing too close behind my brother who was playing baseball with his friends in the yard & getting smashed in the head with a wooden bat. He had quite a swing & was semi-pro a few yrs later, so you can imagine the power of the swing. I can still hear the crack. It was very painful, but I recall it being more frightening, for some reason. I don't recall the extent of injury. He musta knocked it outta me...

Lastly, I was knocked out & thrown 10-ft by electricity. Was alone, unfortunately & unconscious for many hrs before I came to. Stepped into a bathtub of water where my bf had rigged up some contraption with a metal heating element, to heat our water, as we didn't have hot water for a couple of weeks. He drew the bath, I was drowsy in the early am & stepped in with both feet, he didn't tell me he didn't take out the element, when I noticed, I tried to slowly back out of the tub & clumsy numbskull that I am, my foot hit the element. I woke up, unhurt but literally buzzing from head to toe, slumped against the hallway wall. I could feel buzzing for days in my entire body & I could hear a buzzing inside my head for days, too.

If ever around me, it's a good idea to stand behind the yellow caution line.

Old 05-11-2017, 07:31 PM

45,383 posts, read 60,575,206 times
I put a spading fork through my foot.
Broke a couple ribs while balancing on my side on the roof peak putting up Christmas lights.
Mangled an ankle when I lost my footing on a ladder putting up Christmas lights.
Hmmmm.
Broke my nose breaking up a fight between another teacher and a student. That was the third or fourth time it's been broken.

Old 05-12-2017, 07:34 AM

3,099 posts, read 2,003,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
I put a spading fork through my foot.
Broke a couple ribs while balancing on my side on the roof peak putting up Christmas lights.
Mangled an ankle when I lost my footing on a ladder putting up Christmas lights.
Hmmmm.
Broke my nose breaking up a fight between another teacher and a student. That was the third or fourth time it's been broken.
Ouch. You should be happy with an Elf on the Shelf for Christmas from now on & steer clear of teachers & students. Broken nose has got to hurt something fierce.

Old 05-12-2017, 01:35 PM

15,700 posts, read 17,046,690 times
Not a freakish accident but a lesson learned accident.

I was 5 years old and wanted to wear my new dress outside to play.

Mom was hanging clothes on the line and I came out of the house with my new dress on and started to play on the swing set.

Mom told me to go in the house and put my play clothes on.

That made me mad, so mad that on my way into the house I stopped and banged my fist on the glass storm door for emphasis, ran to my room and slammed the door.....only then did I realize my hand was bleeding....a LOT!

Back out I ran to Mom for help. There was a shoe shaped flap of skin and flesh hanging off the side of my hand.

Nowadays that would have been a trip to the emergency room for stitches, back in 1958 it was a trip to the bathroom where Mom ran water over it and bandaged it up.

I still have the scar, shaped like the sole of a shoe.

I still have the dress, red with different colored circus flags on it.

That day I learned it is best not to get physical when you get mad, it is much safer to swear instead. LOL

Old 05-13-2017, 06:48 AM

88,584 posts, read 84,795,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie53 View Post
Not a freakish accident but a lesson learned accident.

I was 5 years old and wanted to wear my new dress outside to play.

Mom was hanging clothes on the line and I came out of the house with my new dress on and started to play on the swing set.

Mom told me to go in the house and put my play clothes on.

That made me mad, so mad that on my way into the house I stopped and banged my fist on the glass storm door for emphasis, ran to my room and slammed the door.....only then did I realize my hand was bleeding....a LOT!

Back out I ran to Mom for help. There was a shoe shaped flap of skin and flesh hanging off the side of my hand.

Nowadays that would have been a trip to the emergency room for stitches, back in 1958 it was a trip to the bathroom where Mom ran water over it and bandaged it up.

I still have the scar, shaped like the sole of a shoe.

I still have the dress, red with different colored circus flags on it.

That day I learned it is best not to get physical when you get mad, it is much safer to swear instead. LOL
Lol @ Mom running water over it. When I fractured my arm falling off the garbage can, my mother didn't take me to the hospital for three days. She had five kids at the time and mine was just another injury that would heal itself. Eventually she came in my room at the time I was struggling to dress myself with one hand and realized I was unable to use my other arm.

It was 1963. I was 5 years old, and I remember a lady with a clipboard and the nurses and doctors asking me over and over again how I hurt my arm. I was getting so much attention. I loved it. Learned years later from my mother that there had been a number of cases of child abuse, and they were suspicious of my mother not taking me to the doctor for three days. They kept us separate while they asked me repeatedly how it happened to see if my story was consistent.

Old 05-15-2017, 09:31 AM

12,270 posts, read 11,329,966 times
I was a kid. We we're eating out a a classy restaurant. A waiter two tables over carelessly opened a bottle of champagne, the cork went flying and hit our waiter in the eye who was just pouring hot coffee for my grandmother. He dumped the hot coffee all over her arms and hands, scalding her terribly.

I ran through a plate glass window and had to be stiched, but it was nothing compared to what my grandmother went through.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness