U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2017, 07:08 PM

17,918 posts, read 5,777,720 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedevilz View Post
Yep, of course insurance SHOULD pay for EVERY UNPROVEN medical procedure one can think of right?

I mean what could possibly go wrong with THAT idea???

After all, money does grow on trees so there is no need for responsible oversight of insurance dollars right???

IF stem cell treatment can be PROVEN to be effective the way it promotes itself to be THEN it should be covered by insurance....until then??? Not so much....
Well, our insurance pays for surgery and let's face it, many end up with failed surgeries and many with problem surgeries like side effects as I did with hip replacement.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2017, 04:32 AM

4,581 posts, read 10,392,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
Well, our insurance pays for surgery and let's face it, many end up with failed surgeries and many with problem surgeries like side effects as I did with hip replacement.
No, what YOU need to face is the fact that the overwhelming majority of surgeries such as hip replacement are successful and therefore SHOULD BE PAID for....

"According to the American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons, of all total hip replacements performed each year in the United States, more than 95 percent are successful with patients experiencing relief from hip pain, and revision surgery is not required."
https://bonesmart.org/hip/how-succes...ement-surgery/

Compare that 95% effectiveness to stem cell treatment....

"stem cell therapy may not become a standard treatment for knee OA till the end of the decade due to various aspects regarding the clinical safety (e.g., risk of complications after surgery, compatibility of donor stem cells) and the affordability of this treatment for the general public. Moreover, there is still no sufficient amount of clinical data on the effectiveness of stem cell therapy when compared with pharmacological treatments for this particular disease"
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4178263/

And THAT is why insurance SHOULD cover joint replacement surgery OVER stem cell treatment...

Old 05-21-2017, 10:47 AM

Since I've had the replacement 7 yrs ago soon, I've been on MANY joint replacement groups and read some pretty unhappy stories, have you read them? Or just from your little circle that you are living in.

I still will always believe in trying other modalities besides cutting the body.

Old 05-21-2017, 11:16 AM

4,581 posts, read 10,392,339 times
Quote:
Since I've had the replacement 7 yrs ago soon, I've been on MANY joint replacement groups and read some pretty unhappy stories, have you read them? Or just from your little circle that you are living in.

I still will always believe in trying other modalities besides cutting the body.
What part of 95% success rate do you not understand????? Thats not a number I pulled out of thin air....not 95% of "my circle" thats 95% of THOUSANDS questioned in large scale research studies

As for "my little circle"....YOU are the one relating NOTHING but anecdotes from "your little circle" of anonymous online "friends"....

As for "my little circle" it actually encompasses 25 years worth of Orthopaedic patients I see 5 days a week every week....actual living breathing people, not anonymous posters on a chat forum that can make up what ever story they like...

Lastly, as you have been told many, many, many times before EVERY time you bring up this tired refrain of "all the unhappy people that post on the joint replacement forums"..... WHEN will you understand that is a self selected group of misery????

The 95% of folks who are VERY happy with their joint replacements don't spend time on your forums touting the benefits, they are too busy out enjoying life..

Like anything else in life, the complainers will be heard from early and often, NOT the people who are happy with their outcomes....

Old 05-21-2017, 12:32 PM

I don't know where and how they come up with these percentages etc...sounds like you are saying ALL joint replacement people REPORT their experiences to the medical statistic world....somehow I don't think so. I reported my displeasure with my outcome on yelp and talked to surgeon's PA about 10 times online, but have NO desire to face the surgeon again. On the yelp reports of about 40some reviews, 30 were OK with their outcomes and 10 or so of us reported our experiences and complications. And how many report on yelp, not many for sure.

Then we have to remember many who believe the great outcomes have their special interests to protect and keep alive.

Last edited by jaminhealth; 05-21-2017 at 01:25 PM..

Old 05-21-2017, 01:19 PM

12,263 posts, read 8,894,295 times
Quote:
You mean to say no stem cell people in NY area? Every time we do a surgery, our body experiences trauma.
Yeah, I phrased that poorly, my bad.

I first spoke to my regular doctor whose attitude was stem cell therapy is promising, but not ready for prime time yet. A friend recommended me to a group in NYC, but the appointment left me deeply uncomfortable, as did a second appointment with a doctor in CT. The sales pitch was so hard I couldn't get past the feeling I was being hustled.

So yes there are people to talk to, but none I've trusted so far and the whole thing has left me suspicious of the current status of stem cell surgery and wondering what other people's experiences were like.

Old 05-21-2017, 01:28 PM

I mentioned somewhere that my sister who just passed from a long battle with MS, well her NYC doctors kept her hanging with the hope of stem cells, while they wrote more and more of the poisonous drugs which cost mega $$$$ for her to take. Her body gave out at 68.

Old 02-17-2018, 03:18 PM

Just heard 1 hr of Dr. Darrow on PRP/Stem Cells and MANY people calling in with joint issues, failed surgeries syndrome and IF I had just a bit more money in my checking account I'd be at his office. Cutting my body is not what I want to do. Regenerative medicine is our future medicine, when many other surgeons jump on board, who knows. One important thing is to do this work with an ultrasound machine. I've had Prolo injections for the last 10 yrs and from doctors, one had an ultrasound and one did not...the one without is like injecting into the unknown.

Last edited by jaminhealth; 02-17-2018 at 03:39 PM..

Old 03-11-2018, 03:53 PM

Just hearing Dr. Darrow today and a woman called in that she had ONE injection in her shoulder from her ortho MD and it didn't help ... don't know if she said PRP or Stem Cells. Darrrow asked her how many "pokes" the surgeon did and she said ONE. Darrow says he will do 30-40 "pokes" in some areas that need a lot of attention. This is what is included in his sessions.

So getting with the MD's who know what they are doing and using ultrasound to guide them is critical for these to work.

When I had regular prolotherapy in my shoulder about 10 yrs ago, the MD "poked" 8 sites and I had 3 yrs of pain free shoulder. He also used ultrasound to guide his work.

Old 03-11-2018, 06:27 PM

668 posts, read 350,560 times
Quote:
I'm confused. How did hip replacement surgery cause an infection in your knee?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness