U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-15-2018, 10:26 AM

18,827 posts, read 6,149,026 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanyBelle View Post
I'm confused. How did hip replacement surgery cause an infection in your knee?
Hip replacement caused a shorter leg outcome. And caused my body to become more unstable.

When I was 57 my right knee began creaking and causing issues. But I did all I could to keep going and working out and I did.

Then at 72 my hip was pretty riddled with arthritis and I opted to a hip replacement. I live with a lot of complications and one is a shorter leg. Again body was "off" and knee got worse. Everything is connected.

I think the infection is from a prolotherapy injection -- nothing is for sure as so much can happen and we never know the For Sures. This is all complex but everything started when I was 57 with advancing OA in knee. At 80 this year, I'm working to NOT do a knee replacement...more trauma to the body.

If I had the extra money, I would dive into PRP/Stem Cells.
Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2018, 12:00 PM

711 posts, read 396,698 times
Thanks for the explanation, Jam!

Old 03-21-2018, 11:35 AM

Stem Cells are being discussed more and more. Even the BoneSmart group of folks with hip and knee replacements are Opening their eyes/minds to this work.

https://mailchi.mp/2cf2060e1d8e/stem...e?e=33fde6e4af

Old 03-21-2018, 03:54 PM

7,651 posts, read 5,407,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
Of course, insurance SHOULD pay and could it be they work and would put too many surgeons out of the business of surgery. ummmm
I'm guessing that insurance WON'T PAY because there is no proof of efficacy

Old 03-21-2018, 04:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike1003 View Post
I'm guessing that insurance WON'T PAY because there is no proof of efficacy
It could happen some day, I may not be alive to experience this. HA injections did nothing and they were insurance paid when I did them. Steroid injections are covered and they may do some help and may not and if so a short time. Then there is the side effects of steroids.

I was on replacements groups for years after my replacement and jumped back on one today to just check in and the same old issues -- shorter/longer legs, nerve damage etc etc etc. Some talking about revisions. That's the surgery world.

Old 03-21-2018, 07:29 PM

21,501 posts, read 26,102,510 times
Quote:
It could happen some day, I may not be alive to experience this. HA injections did nothing and they were insurance paid when I did them. Steroid injections are covered and they may do some help and may not and if so a short time. Then there is the side effects of steroids.

I was on replacements groups for years after my replacement and jumped back on one today to just check in and the same old issues -- shorter/longer legs, nerve damage etc etc etc. Some talking about revisions. That's the surgery world.
The people who get relief from HA are not on the internet in multiple forums talking about how it helped them.

The people who are happy with their new hips are not on the internet in multiple forums talking about how much better they feel.

Old 03-21-2018, 09:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
The people who get relief from HA are not on the internet in multiple forums talking about how it helped them.

The people who are happy with their new hips are not on the internet in multiple forums talking about how much better they feel.
Ohhhhhhhhhhh...you know all their outcomes on both. I speak for myself on both issues but can't speak for everyone else...but what I read from others.

Last edited by jaminhealth; 03-21-2018 at 09:12 PM..

Old 03-21-2018, 11:13 PM

Quote:
Ohhhhhhhhhhh...you know all their outcomes on both. I speak for myself on both issues but can't speak for everyone else...but what I read from others.

But you only read what people who are not satisfied with their surgery have to say.

Hip surgery:

https://www.hss.edu/newsroom_satisfa...t-patients.asp

"Overall, the researchers found that the mean proportion of fulfilled expectations was 87 percent, with 43 percent of patients reporting that all of their expectations were completely fulfilled and an additional 32 percent reporting that all of their expectations had been somewhat fulfilled."

This study looked at patients who had had both hips replaced, one using the anterior approach and the other hip with a different technique. Patients strongly preferred the anterior approach.

https://www.omicsonline.org/open-acc....php?aid=23931

"A telephone questionnaire was utilized to assess whether patients who underwent staged bilateral total hip replacement using the direct anterior approach [DAA] for one hip replacement, and a different surgical approach for the other, could detect a difference in their post-operative recovery. When comparing patients who preferred the results of one hip replacement over another, the DAA was associated with more patient satisfaction, a quicker recovery, less pain, better function, and better fulfillment of pre-operative expectations, while there was no difference in hip strength between groups."

How about knees:

https://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/719003

"More than 95% of patients report that they are satisfied with the outcome of their total knee replacement 1 year after surgery ... "

If all you read is complaints you get a very skewed impression of what is going on.

Old 03-22-2018, 11:15 AM

I'd venture to say MOST/MANY do not spend time on health groups to talk about positive or negative issues in their lives. So how can we say Many have good results etc etc...

Again we have all these so called stats from this and that org.

Old 03-22-2018, 05:02 PM

Quote:
I'd venture to say MOST/MANY do not spend time on health groups to talk about positive or negative issues in their lives. So how can we say Many have good results etc etc...

Again we have all these so called stats from this and that org.
You ask them, the way it was done in the sources I cited. You take a group who have had a procedure and find out how they are doing. You do not go to a website where everyone is complaining because they had a complication. The information I gave you is not "so called stats". It is what the data shows. I only cited a couple of studies but there are others showing the same thing, including several from the UK. About 90% of patients are happy with their new hips and about 95% with their new knees.

We understand that you personally are unhappy with your hip surgery. However, your results are not typical. Yes, you personally do not want your knee replaced. That is all fine.

However, that does not negate the fact that the majority of people who haves hips or knees relaced are satisfied with the results.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness