Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-18-2017, 03:34 AM

4,488 posts, read 1,627,906 times

Advertisements

I have dreams or whatever, and sometimes I move around too much and accidentally hit my partner. Is this normal? Is it a sleep disorder? Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2017, 07:02 AM

3,257 posts, read 4,965,108 times
You may have something like what my daughter has: periodic limb movement disorder. Generally not serious if you and your partner have a king size bed.

https://sleepfoundation.org/sleep-di...ement-disorder

Old 05-18-2017, 08:50 AM

2,514 posts, read 2,735,738 times
Or you might have REM Sleep Disorder. Do you act out your dreams? Here's some more information.

REM sleep behavior disorder - Mayo Clinic

My SO had this and was violent when acting out his dreams. He had a sleep study which confirmed our suspicions. There is a medication which helps, plus he needed his own bedroom as it was impossible for us to sleep in the same bed without injury to me. I should add that some of his actions when acting out were very specific, i.e., strangling me, punching me in the face, etc. They were not just random acts of movement like thrashing, but definitely related to whatever he was fighting (for example) in his dreams. He would also scream out intelligible sentences which were very adversarial. And he was the nicest, most mild mannered guy in his waking hours so this was totally out of character for him.

Good luck and I'm glad you're acknowledging that there might be something going on. Best to get on it so you can manage it, whatever it is.

Old 05-18-2017, 02:37 PM

Thanks for the replies! It probably is a sleep disorder, and I'll get this figured out. I don't want to hurt my SO.

Old 05-18-2017, 02:43 PM
NCN

21,665 posts, read 25,517,978 times
I thought my husband was moving around during dreams. Then I was up one night when it happened. I ended up calling emergency. I thought he had a stroke but it was a seizure. He didn't even remember the ride to the hospital. He only has seizures when he is asleep. Your wife may want to turn on the lights and see if you are alert. He takes medication for this now.

After being awake for that first episode I witnessed, I thought back and realized that was probably his fifth seizure. I would wake up and speak to him but he would sound irritated so I said no more. He gets hostile after the seizures. He will talk after the seizures but not remember it later.

No I don't like this new development in our 50 some years of marriage but that's life and getting older.

Old 05-21-2017, 11:29 PM

It may be something else. I'm having ringing in my ears, it's a weird experience!

Old 05-21-2017, 11:37 PM

Is loud ringing in the ears, and moving around during sleep serious?

Old 05-21-2017, 11:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCN View Post
I thought my husband was moving around during dreams. Then I was up one night when it happened. I ended up calling emergency. I thought he had a stroke but it was a seizure. He didn't even remember the ride to the hospital. He only has seizures when he is asleep. Your wife may want to turn on the lights and see if you are alert. He takes medication for this now.

After being awake for that first episode I witnessed, I thought back and realized that was probably his fifth seizure. I would wake up and speak to him but he would sound irritated so I said no more. He gets hostile after the seizures. He will talk after the seizures but not remember it later.

No I don't like this new development in our 50 some years of marriage but that's life and getting older.
Thanks for the help!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness