Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2017, 10:47 AM

186 posts, read 128,627 times

Advertisements

After taking a high dosage of vitamin D, 50,000 units prescribed by a doctor , I started experiencing constipation and thats a negative side effect. It even says so on prescription sheet. I read that in 10 minutes of sunlight I can get 10,000 units but since I am hispanic I decided to do it 30 minutes to make sure I get 10,000. I plan to do it 4 or 5 times a week so that will be at least 40,000 or 50,000. But I read that too much vitamin D can give someone constipation but does this only happen when the vitamin d is from a tablet and why is that? What do they put in these vitamin d tablets to cause constipation? Can too much sunlight (without taking any tablets) cause high vitamin d and therefore cause constipation?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2017, 10:58 AM

29,267 posts, read 16,731,407 times
For about 30 some yrs of my life I was a sun lover, beach type person and Never depressed and I'm sure my D levels were fine all those years...never had any tests since the D issue became a big issue in the last 10 yrs or so. My levels were really low in 2006 when I was first tested and by then I had "come in" from my sun days and sat at the computer too much and still do, but I'm hooked, learn too much.

A day at the beach with bathing suit can give a person about 40,000 iu's of real D.

I take 5-10K units of D3 and K2 daily now and get a little sun when I'm around my apt. I no longer hit the beach.

Dark skin people need to make sure they get enough D since their darker skin is harder for the sun to penetrate. You can help yourself with dosing too, and D3 is best absorbed, D2 from the docs less absorable. Even taking 1000 or 2000 iu's daily or every other day and getting the sun as you say you will do.

To combat the constipation issue, I take Vit C and magnesium daily.

I just spent some eye opening and painful time in 3 rehabs for a knee issue and could not help but think of all the people there who are very deficient and Vit D is one big one.

Last edited by jaminhealth; 05-26-2017 at 11:09 AM..

Old 05-26-2017, 12:16 PM

The question wasnt answered if the vitamin d from the sun with the same dosage of 50,000 units but with no tablet can still cause constipation. If not then what do they put in the tablet that causes constipation.

Old 05-26-2017, 12:20 PM

44,254 posts, read 64,338,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KillerInstinct View Post
The question wasnt answered if the vitamin d from the sun with the same dosage of 50,000 units but with no tablet can still cause constipation. If not then what do they put in the tablet that causes constipation.
No.
Unless you get dehydrated from being out in the sun all day.

But there is that pesky sun damage.

Old 05-26-2017, 12:25 PM

29,267 posts, read 16,731,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KillerInstinct View Post
So many drugs can cause constipation, gotta ask pharma scientists why they do what they do to cause so many side effects including constipation.

Thinking about this I've had a long history of constipation, sun or no sun. So I take remedies all my life including prunes and bump up water and other remedies.. Moving our bodies can help a lot, and many older folks don't move like they did in years past. Eating high fiber foods is important and that's been mentioned here. Apples are high in fiber..A lot of fruit/veggies are but gotta watch the fruits for high sugar.

Old 05-27-2017, 12:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
So many drugs can cause constipation, gotta ask pharma scientists why they do what they do to cause so many side effects including constipation.

Thinking about this I've had a long history of constipation, sun or no sun. So I take remedies all my life including prunes and bump up water and other remedies.. Moving our bodies can help a lot, and many older folks don't move like they did in years past. Eating high fiber foods is important and that's been mentioned here. Apples are high in fiber..A lot of fruit/veggies are but gotta watch the fruits for high sugar.
Well I have a permanent condition of constipation called pelvic floor dyssynergia due to muscles not relaxing and the only treatment ia biofeedback and that **** is a gimmick and also can cause problems like pain on the legs when walking since its physical therapy. I tried it, the worst decision. Lost a lot of money and time.

Old 05-28-2017, 12:00 AM

44,621 posts, read 61,584,987 times
Prunes, lots of prunes daily. Constipation could possibly derive from the reaction of the vitamin pill fillers.

Old 06-01-2017, 04:43 PM

6,957 posts, read 12,054,901 times
People who start out on 50,000 Units of Vit D usually don't stay on that dose for long. After your body "catches up" you probably will go on a 5000 U. dose or something similar. Should ease the constipation. BTW, one probiotic pill a day helps constipation greatly.

Old 06-04-2017, 02:58 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,683,221 times
for no reason except what you said OP I decided to take myself off vit D. I am not sure why I started taking it except all the talk about sun or lack of same. I have started taking Magnesium though. I don't have a worse case of constipation than most people my age, but still don't like it. I think I will start eating more prunes, and of course, one of the best foods for the problem is cantaloupe or for me it is. I don't know vit D has any real effect on our bowels. I have taken it for years and just developed a problem about a year ago.

Old 06-10-2017, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhxBarb View Post
People who start out on 50,000 Units of Vit D usually don't stay on that dose for long. After your body "catches up" you probably will go on a 5000 U. dose or something similar. Should ease the constipation. BTW, one probiotic pill a day helps constipation greatly.
I take Align already. The problem is I have a permanent condition of certain muscles not functioning like they are meant to. Its called pelvic floor dyssynergia. Biofeedback didnt work. All they can do now is wait until its gets so bad.that I cant go then remove my colon.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness